The DIY'rs Cookbook
Mar 7, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #901 of 1,974

It took me that long since this is the first time I modded an internal psu. I was taking my time and being meticulous about it plus I was taking a lot of breaks in-between.
If you've done internal psu install before, it may take you only half of that time or less. I'll open it back up later and take some pics.

If your changes are the same as JJ's, you removed the PCB board to solder the 5v and Ground wires underneath, than had to reassemble the whole thing back again.

I believe Astrostar59 is going to use a new JST XH connector instead of soldering. This will probably save 2-3 hours right there.

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #902 of 1,974
  JJ
A quick question. My LPS is due to arrive soon. I am unsure on the wiring at the plastic box connection at the SMPS and PCB. Are there only 3 wires there? i.e. 2 x 5VDC and one ground?

I have got the replacement top box for that connection and will solder new push fit ends to then make a press fit connection as opposed to hard wired. Got some spares as well incase I bust any with the crimping pliers. Can't wait for the mod.

What do you mean by 'will solder new push fit ends'?

If you're referring to the JST XH connector, you shouldn't be soldering that, or the wires to the pins. You only need the crimping tool. You can test the wires after you've inserted them into the JST XH connector with a multimeter to make sure you've done it correctly.

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #903 of 1,974
  What do you mean by 'will solder new push fit ends'?

If you're referring to the JST XH connector, you shouldn't be soldering that, or the wires to the pins. You only need the crimping tool. You can test the wires after you've inserted them into the JST XH connector with a multimeter to make sure you've done it correctly.

I was asking JJ about the wiring colouring to follow. I haven't taken the Rednet apart yet. How many wires are in the XH connector?

Yes, you are correct, I crimp only, sorry, was not considering that.

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #904 of 1,974
  If your changes are the same as JJ's, you removed the PCB board to solder the 5v and Ground wires underneath, than had to reassemble the whole thing back again.

I believe Astrostar59 is going to use a new JST XH connector instead of soldering. This will probably save 2-3 hours right there.

Correct, I grabbed that idea of Golfnutz.

Mar 7, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #906 of 1,974
  JJ
A quick question. My LPS is due to arrive soon. I am unsure on the wiring at the plastic box connection at the SMPS and PCB. Are there only 3 wires there? i.e. 2 x 5VDC and one ground?

snip

The existing ribbon cable has 8 wires of which we only need 3, 2) +5Vdc, and 1) ground.
I used 2 wires to connect to ground, just because I could and it helps 'balance' the wiring to feed the power to the mainboard.

JJ

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #907 of 1,974
Here are some pics of the install I did.

Full install.

Talema transformer mounted inside the RN3.

Hardware I used to mount the Talema transformer.

Bottom pic of the screws for the mounted transformer.

How I mounted the fuse holder.

Fuse holder that I used.

For the regulator board, I just used this http://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-heavy-duty-mounting-tape
and made 4 layers thick to rise the board up about 1/4 inch. It also doubles up as an insulation for the exposed solder joints on the bottom of the regulator board.

So from the switch to the transformer all the way to the regulator, I used 22ga. silver wiring doubled up to increase the gauge.

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #908 of 1,974
Nice, especially for your first attempt.

So you didn't solder the 5v and ground wires to the PCB, you used the existing ribbon cable and either cut the remaining 5 wires (or pull the wires out - can't tell).

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #909 of 1,974
Yeah just gutted the 5 wires that's not needed and used that existing ribbon cable.

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #910 of 1,974
Excellent!

It's good to see alternative approaches to adding a LPS to these Rednet boxes.  :thumb

And now for the fruits of your labors, getting to listen to the added SQ that this yields!

JJ

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #911 of 1,974
Mar 8, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #912 of 1,974
  Yeah just gutted the 5 wires that's not needed and used that existing ribbon cable.

I am not sure, but you didn't need to mount the ground wire to the base of the chassis as JJ did?

BTW what is the huge black tube? Is it a mains filter.

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #913 of 1,974
  Excellent!

It's good to see alternative approaches to adding a LPS to these Rednet boxes.  :thumb

And now for the fruits of your labors, getting to listen to the added SQ that this yields!

JJ

Been listening to the rig for 10 hrs straight and my jaw has dropped all the way to the floor. lol

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #914 of 1,974
  I am not sure, but you didn't need to mount the ground wire to the base of the chassis as JJ did?

BTW what is the huge black tube? Is it a mains filter.

I tapped a wire from the negative side of the ribbon cable and soldered the other end to the grounding point of the earth ground.

That huge black tube is the Akiko Triple AC enhancer which I modified and soldered directly also to that grounding point of earth ground.
What it does as JJ has explained before is it acts like a sponge and absorbs any noise riding on the ground plane. The Akiko sticker on the tube also acts like the WA Quantum stickers in which it suppresses any stray EMI/RFI lurking inside and around the digital circuits.

Have you done your RN3 lps mods yet?

Cheers!

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #915 of 1,974
Hi Muziqboy

Cool, nice idea the mains filter.

My kit arrived today so I will do it this week and post my findings. I think 140 USD for the bits and upgrading of the Rednet 3 that costs 900 USD is a good idea / nice value ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back