The DIY'rs Cookbook
Nov 19, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #1,846 of 1,974
So yet again the 'settling in' clock has been restarted, much to my delight! :thinking: :sunglasses:

The latest generation of our CCS's (Constant Current Sources) arrived and of course I dropped everything else to install them.
I mean what else is a dyed in the wool audiophool supposed to do? hahahahahahahahahaha :ksc75smile:

At first there didn't seem to be much if any difference, so there was no big ka-Boom obvious difference, but it didn't sound bad nor were there any obvious faults either.
So we go for throttle up… :yum:

But as the 'on time' added up, new SQ peeks 'from around the corner' began to show themselves just short of the 1hr mark, and didn't stop.
Now I'm at ≈ the 6hr mark and there is obviously a new higher water mark for SQ.
But I gotta wait for more hr's to accumulate before I can fully describe the changes.

Even so the smack behind every fast leading edge is sharper with more power behind it (by comparison, it's not a fist but a foot at the end of the whole leg, well not really, but there is moar weight behind each thump to the head/body).

I'll take some pics when the 2nd pair of CCS's get installed into the lower power supply chassis.
'Cause right now it's big time listening, time. :sunglasses:

JJ :ksc75smile:

Nov 19, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #1,847 of 1,974
So yet again the 'settling in' clock has been restarted, much to my delight! :thinking: :sunglasses:

...(by comparison, it's not a fist but a foot at the end of the whole leg, well not really, but there is moar weight behind each thump to the head/body).

So in layman's terms then, it kicks ass a tad(ish)? :laughing:

Nov 19, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #1,848 of 1,974

The latest generation of our CCS's (Constant Current Sources) arrived and of course I dropped everything else to install them.
I mean what else is a dyed in the wool audiophool supposed to do? hahahahahahahahahaha :ksc75smile:

At first there didn't seem to be much if any difference, so there was no big ka-Boom obvious difference, but it didn't sound bad nor were there any obvious faults either.
So we go for throttle up… :yum:

But as the 'on time' added up, new SQ peeks 'from around the corner' began to show themselves just short of the 1hr mark, and didn't stop.
Now I'm at ≈ the 6hr mark and there is obviously a new higher water mark for SQ.
But I gotta wait for more hr's to accumulate before I can fully describe the changes.

Even so the smack behind every fast leading edge is sharper with more power behind it (by comparison, it's not a fist but a foot at the end of the whole leg, well not really, but there is moar weight behind each thump to the head/body).

I'll take some pics when the 2nd pair of CCS's get installed into the lower power supply chassis.
'Cause right now it's big time listening, time. :sunglasses:

What transistors does it use?

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #1,849 of 1,974
So in layman's terms then, it kicks ass a tad(ish)? :laughing:
The height of the kick continues to rise and thus far has reached beyond the height of the 'standard' glutus maximus…
hahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #1,850 of 1,974
What transistors does it use?
We used your recommendation of the IXTP01N100D and an smd So23 BSS159N for the output fet.

JJ

Nov 22, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #1,851 of 1,974
So as I type this the 'settling in clock' has reached ≈ 50hrs, which means tonight the SQ hopefully will reach yet more peak blossom action.

Even so the SQ has continued it's "'Mutha May I' rise to new degrees of SQ" progress and while most of the changes are, on average, subtle, every once in a while a 'new' aspect of a 'voice' will stand out and be immediately noticed.

And there is a greater degree of power behind every 'voice' now, and while it is more obvious in 'hard edged' percussive 'voices', even massed violins, cello's, horns and pianos and even softer 'voices', also have additional 'presence'.

And the extreme bottom has done it's part to extend downwards and reveal more 'subtlety' with a surprisingly powerful presence.
I see these changes as a continuation of my previous noted bass behavior changes and improvements.

And the often noted tendency that ALL music needs to have another star added to their 'ranking', is even more apparent.
So as I continue to dig deeper into my lowest rated albums (3 star and lower) and find more often than not that they too need to get bumped up a star.

This results in EVERYTHING, no matter the type, nor venue, nor source, becoming eminently more listenable and intriguing.
This has consequences such that the number of my albums in my 'A' list is growing larger, as 'unsatisfactory' albums are 'rediscovered' and join in with the 'gud stuff' of the 'A' list music.

And I think another way to describe these SQ improvements, can be typified by the differences between a really good horn speaker system and a set of sealed/ported speakers.
The horns can excel at 'presence', a stronger visceral exchange of acoustic power, especially in the mids where the majority of music resides.

The Purp-Amp, on HD800's, is starting to up it's game, to bridge that gap, and so is delivering an acoustic experience that has punch/power/mass behind each 'voice' which is reminiscent of what horn speakers can deliver.

JJ

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2020 at 9:39 AM Post #1,852 of 1,974
And there is a greater degree of power behind every 'voice' now, and while it is more obvious in 'hard edged' percussive 'voices'....

Good! Gooooooooood!!!!!

...even massed violins, cello's, horns and pianos and even softer 'voices'...

None of these exist in Marilyn Manson recordings, so.....OK, whatever.

:joy::sweat_smile::laughing::scream::scream:

Nov 22, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #1,853 of 1,974
Yeah well ya know the 1812 overture blows Marilyn Manson out of the water, (especially with the real cannon shots going off left and right).
And (s)he ain't got nuff'n on The 9th either
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha… :ksc75smile:

And this hear is a reel guder album 2.
1606095329595.png

My fav is Fanfare for the Common Man

JJ :sunglasses:

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #1,854 of 1,974
Yeah well ya know the 1812 overture blows Marilyn Manson out of the water, (especially with the real cannon shots going off left and right).
And (s)he ain't got nuff'n on The 9th either
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha… :ksc75smile:

And this hear is a reel guder album 2.
1606095329595.png
My fav is Fanfare for the Common Man

JJ :sunglasses:

I love Fanfare for the Common Man. No matter how many times I hear it, I still love it the next time I hear it.

This one is my favorite. Not as much bass impact or leading edge attack on the cymbals as the Reference Recording, but the horns on this version are GPI (Goose Bump Inducing...maybe should add that to the acronym list LOL!). And every time I get that fleeting thought that analog just isn't worth the hassle any more, putting something like this on the Nottingham reminds me it *is* worth the hassle. This LP still trounces every digital version I've heard....even with the lowly Scheu wiggling in the grooves (but assuming, of course, '50's Foton 6N1P's are in the phono section of the Alana). :sweat_smile:

1606103946922.png

Nov 23, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #1,855 of 1,974
I know what you mean about ALWAYS enjoying THE Fanfare… it has this elegant simplicity yet is both powerful and subtle all at the same time.
And we both know GBI is a thing and if either (both?) CD's trip that circuit, well It will simply have to be inducted into the Hall of RAW (Repurposed Audio Words). hahahahhahahahahaha :ksc75smile:

So I found both the earlier and the re-mastered CD's (≈$7 ea.) which are even as I type this now headed my way, well, they will be tomorrow anyway… :thinking:
This will give me a chance to listen to both to see which is the 'better' CD. :thinking:

Of course neither is vinyl so that comparison will have to wait for a future phono pre-amp and re-introduction of my Linn TT into this system. :yum:
And who knows what the system will be comprised of by then.
26's as the preamp; the 71A Purp-Amp, 45's, for HP's; & 300B's, and WE push-pull mono blocs for speakers.
All in various states of tweak.

Not to mention having the 'ultra' Tweaked Purp-Amp as the 'standard', which will continue to be modified with a few more tweaks still in the works.

This means I'll wind up with amps with 0.75w,1.5w, 5w, 25w per channel power ratings, all being driven by a 26 pre-amp with AVC's (AutoformerVolumeControl).

But right now ZZ TOP (Afterburner) is rock'n me in my chair with accompanying HB&W (HeadBobbing&Weaving).
1606116364573.png
Sorry no air piano, this is after all Texas R&R… :wink:

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #1,856 of 1,974
I know what you mean about ALWAYS enjoying THE Fanfare… it has this elegant simplicity yet is both powerful and subtle all at the same time.
And we both know GBI is a thing and if either (both?) CD's trip that circuit, well It will simply have to be inducted into the Hall of RAW (Repurposed Audio Words). hahahahhahahahahaha :ksc75smile:

So I found both the earlier and the re-mastered CD's (≈$7 ea.) which are even as I type this now headed my way, well, they will be tomorrow anyway… :thinking:
This will give me a chance to listen to both to see which is the 'better' CD. :thinking:

Of course neither is vinyl so that comparison will have to wait for a future phono pre-amp and re-introduction of my Linn TT into this system. :yum:
And who knows what the system will be comprised of by then.
26's as the preamp; the 71A Purp-Amp, 45's, for HP's; & 300B's, and WE push-pull mono blocs for speakers.
All in various states of tweak.

Not to mention having the 'ultra' Tweaked Purp-Amp as the 'standard', which will continue to be modified with a few more tweaks still in the works.

This means I'll wind up with amps with 0.75w,1.5w, 5w, 25w per channel power ratings, all being driven by a 26 pre-amp with AVC's (AutoformerVolumeControl).

But right now ZZ TOP (Afterburner) is rock'n me in my chair with accompanying HB&W (HeadBobbing&Weaving).
1606116364573.png
Sorry no air piano, this is after all Texas R&R… :wink:

You certainly have good taste in music. :smile: I took the picture below about 3 years ago to show off the linear power supply I'd just completed, so guess what was in the player at the time? :smile:

LPS2.jpg

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #1,858 of 1,974
You certainly have good taste in music. :smile: snip
We could probably play one upsmanship with our music collection "…ALL day long, I'm talking ALL DAY LONG…"
(paraphrased to match this situation)…

Win 'King of the Internet For The Day' if you can identify the source of that quote… :wink: :sunglasses::laughing:

Nov 24, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #1,859 of 1,974
We could probably play one upsmanship with our music collection "…ALL day long, I'm talking ALL DAY LONG…"
(paraphrased to match this situation)…

Win 'King of the Internet For The Day' if you can identify the source of that quote… :wink: :sunglasses::laughing:

1606225768596.png
?????

So much for one-upmanship. :joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue:

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #1,860 of 1,974
And our winner is…

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back