The Dishonesty of Sighted Listening Tests
Dec 7, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #76 of 94

[1] On a side note, if two things sound the same, best chances are you'll like their sound the same in the long run.

[2] I really don't care if you preferred A or B during a blind or sighted test. That alone says very little to me, because preference is subjective and it's not a measure of true sound quality and maybe I'm not even searching for true sound quality anyway.

[3] You are the only one here judging the "validity" of a stated preference.

1. Do you have any evidence to support that assertion? Just looking at many of the forums here on head-fi, your assertion appears entirely false. The cables forum for example would be a veritable ghost town if your assertion were true.

2. Ah, that explains a great deal! I'm quite different to you apparently, if someone gives their subjective opinion on say the audio performance of a speaker, then what I personally expect is a subjective opinion on the audio performance of that speaker. I do not want a subjective opinion on the audio performance of a speaker which in actual fact has little or absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the speaker's audio performance but is instead effectively a subjective opinion on the speaker's visual (and/or resultant cognitive) performance, an opinion which is based on say one or more of the many cognitive biases! I agree with @HotIce and you that a blind preference test on the audio performance of a speaker is a preference and is therefore entirely subjective. I also entirely agree that it is not an accurate measure of sound quality (and I don't think anyone here would disagree with those assertions) but at least a blind test massively increases the chances of an opinion based on the speaker's actual audio performance rather than on some other factor unrelated to audio performance. This is where "validity" and "dishonesty" come in. It is invalid and dishonest to state a subjective preference for the audio performance of a speaker if in fact it's not, if it's actually a preference dictated by some visual (or resultant cognitive) attribute!

3. You don't really believe that do you? You do realise this isn't the cable forum? For someone who has apparently studied physics at university and is not some "random cable guy", you're actually doing a very good impersonation of a random cable guy!
eek.gif

G

Dec 7, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #77 of 94
Originally Posted by Me x3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Prove it's the worst in absolute objective terms. I'm all ears.

(Unlike you) I'm not enamored of any particular method, pretty much the opposite.
I think about each method in terms of pros and cons, and useful applications, without the need of deciding which one is the absolute best.
Same applies to my perspective of the "true sound quality" I'm not searching for a golden graph, I understand that's not possible.

Objectivism is a double-edged sword, the need of truth is a good thing, but over simplifying complex problems to create an illusion of understanding is not a good thing, although it works to fill the need of "truth".

I think everything has been said here at this point. Is up to you to understand it or keep going on with your religious way of thinking.

sorry but you've been missing the point of many arguments just to keep the ball rolling on "sighted isn't perfect, and neither is blind". which is obvious as nothing is ever perfect aside from math sometimes. then you blame others for missing your own point that's a captain obvious point. the topic's subject isn't perfection vs sighted test, it's one listening test vs another listening test trying to answer a question about preferences between audible sounds. meaning the test conducted to answer that question should ideally be about preferences and sound. not about objective truth, not about price tags and colors. you brought up unrelated stuff and then get dissatisfied when we don't care for it.  yes thank you we know those are listening tests not universal facts proven 100% through objective means. it's about some humans and they're listening to music. I have no idea who you're trying to convince, but trust me they know.

basically the article and related paper are about trying to make people more aware of the flaws of sighted tests and the need for controls if we want to improve reliability. which is the scientific method for noobs. more controls, less variables, so that we can better check for errors and have better reliability. the basics of doing an experiment and the antithesis of sighted tests. that's the absolute objective evidence you desire to show that sighted tests is the worst BTW. if you care even a little about the scientific method, then you see how sighted evaluation lacks all the requirements for an experiment we can use.

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #78 of 94

[1] On a side note, if two things sound the same, best chances are you'll like their sound the same in the long run.

[2] I really don't care if you preferred A or B during a blind or sighted test. That alone says very little to me, because preference is subjective and it's not a measure of true sound quality and maybe I'm not even searching for true sound quality anyway.

[3] You are the only one here judging the "validity" of a stated preference.

1. Do you have any evidence to support that assertion? Just looking at many of the forums here on head-fi, your assertion appears entirely false. The cables forum for example would be a veritable ghost town if your assertion were true.

2. Ah, that explains a great deal! I'm quite different to you apparently, if someone gives their subjective opinion on say the audio performance of a speaker, then what I personally expect is a subjective opinion on the audio performance of that speaker. I do not want a subjective opinion on the audio performance of a speaker which in actual fact has little or absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the speaker's audio performance but is instead effectively a subjective opinion on the speaker's visual (and/or resultant cognitive) performance, an opinion which is based on say one or more of the many cognitive biases! I agree with @HotIce and you that a blind preference test on the audio performance of a speaker is a preference and is therefore entirely subjective. I also entirely agree that it is not an accurate measure of sound quality (and I don't think anyone here would disagree with those assertions) but at least a blind test massively increases the chances of an opinion based on the speaker's actual audio performance rather than on some other factor unrelated to audio performance. This is where "validity" and "dishonesty" come in. It is invalid and dishonest to state a subjective preference for the audio performance of a speaker if in fact it's not, if it's actually a preference dictated by some visual (or resultant cognitive) attribute!

3. You don't really believe that do you? You do realise this isn't the cable forum? For someone who has apparently studied physics at university and is not some "random cable guy", you're actually doing a very good impersonation of a random cable guy!
eek.gif

G

1- You'll like them the same in the long run if you let sight biasing aside. That's what I've meant.

2- One thing is to talk about objective performance of certain speaker/headphone, 1%THD in the bass @ 100Hz, FR, etc. The other thing is giving subjective impressions of the product's sound quality. Those are two different things.
I might not put that much confidence in subjective opinions regarding performance (or in other words, pure sound quality) because I understand as you do, preference is important when judging by ear.

I don't think you can say: "a blind test massively increases the chances of an opinion based on the speaker's actual audio performance rather than on some other factor unrelated to audio performance." as a general fact because only one case is needed to prove you wrong and you'll find many. Under certain conditions a blind test won't increase massively the chances of an opinion based on actual performance.
I've wrote examples before, sometimes blind or sighted yield the exact same results, then picking blind instead of sighted changes nothing. When things are different enough as it's the case with tons of speakers and headphones, once you've heard it, you probably know how it looks like anyway. I know how DALIs sound and I know how FOCALs sound, going blind changes nothing because it's obvious which is which. I'm against the "blind is always better" way of thinking. Some of you seem to want that.

Your use of the word dishonesty differs from Olive's words I've cited a few posts back. I think it's very clear at this point I was referring to that definition of being dishonest.

With regards to your definiton, I agree of course.
Although we should keep in mind that stating preference for a speaker (in general) is a relatively complex matter because it depends on the recordings, the room, the listening levels and our mood at the time of testing. In that sense it's important to understand in objective terms what the results of the test mean, avoiding unjustified extrapolations.

Stating preference for speaker A over B and C in room X using recordings E, F and G at ZdB average on certain moment in time can say very little (objectively speaking) about your preference in other room, with other recordings, at different listening levels, or even about keeping everything (room, recordings, listening levels) and changing your listening position in the room. As you can see on Olive's results, even a change on the speakers position can make you change which one you prefer.

Your preference is linked to the conditions of the test and thus extrapolations are dishonest.
The one you preferred during the test is not "the one you prefer" or "the one with best sound quality", it's only the one you preferred during the test.

3- Not sure what you mean, preference has little or even nothing to do with objective performance. Some people enjoy high levels of second order distortion in the bass, that's their preference and we can not say their preference is invalid. You might prefer your wife/girlfriend over a top model and I'm not the one to say your preference is invalid. Objectively speaking a top model might be closer to the ideal woman according to social stereotypes, but that doesn't invalidate your preference.

sorry but you've been missing the point of many arguments just to keep the ball rolling on "sighted isn't perfect, and neither is blind". which is obvious as nothing is ever perfect aside from math sometimes. then you blame others for missing your own point that's a captain obvious point. the topic's subject isn't perfection vs sighted test, it's one listening test vs another listening test trying to answer a question about preferences between audible sounds. meaning the test conducted to answer that question should ideally be about preferences and sound. not about objective truth, not about price tags and colors. you brought up unrelated stuff and then get dissatisfied when we don't care for it.  yes thank you we know those are listening tests not universal facts proven 100% through objective means. it's about some humans and they're listening to music. I have no idea who you're trying to convince, but trust me they know.

basically the article and related paper are about trying to make people more aware of the flaws of sighted tests and the need for controls if we want to improve reliability. which is the scientific method for noobs. more controls, less variables, so that we can better check for errors and have better reliability. the basics of doing an experiment and the antithesis of sighted tests. that's the absolute objective evidence you desire to show that sighted tests is the worst BTW. if you care even a little about the scientific method, then you see how sighted evaluation lacks all the requirements for an experiment we can use.

We all know blind is better than sighted for experiments like Olive's.
That arcticle is 7 years old and the topic of blind being normally more accurate than sighted in this kind of tests has been around since I can remember, so it's not news anyway. (It's obvious as you would say)

I've pointed out some of Olive's words I didn't agree with, as they suggested sighted was dishonest for the wrong reasons.

If I lead an obvious (7 yeard old based article, about one of the most discussed and trivial topics around) post to discuss about the dishonesty of blind testing (read, how blind testing can fail to achieve some objective targets) which is pretty much an undiscussed topic around here, then I happen to be captain obvious... I don't think so.

Anyway, if you want to keep talking again and again about the same old trivial stuff (blind better than sighted, cables do nothing, 24 bit audio is nonsense, etc.) just go ahead. Science is not about repeating Einstein laws forever and pointing Newton was wrong as much as we can as a religious practice. Science is about going ahead thinking about the limitations of our current understanding of reality and how to overcome those limitations.

Many of those who write around here are yet to measure a single thing in their lives.
If you want this to be a Sound Science forum then I think this thread shows this forum is in the wrong path.
That's why more often than not, people with interest in Sound Science tend to leave Head-Fi and reach other sites.

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #79 of 94

Science is about going ahead thinking about the limitations of our current understanding of reality and how to overcome those limitations.

It's a lot more than that.  It's about:

1. Developing a hypothesis
2. Designing an experiment to test the hypothesis
3. Determining if the results of the experiment confirm, deny, or are inconclusive regarding the hypothesis
4. Publishing findings for peer review and critique

It's about empiricism, not philosophy.

Dec 7, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #80 of 94

@Me x3 yes we all know that blind is better than sighted for experiments like Olive's. at least that's what I hope, and in this subsection at least, I'd say we almost all know. but it's also a fact massively and actively ignored in the audio hobby even to this day. so IMO that's what should be brought forward and made even more obvious and known. not that a sentence in the comment section of a blog related to a paper can be interpreted in a confusing way.
wink.gif
  or that the article's title uses a catchy phrase. to me that's obsessing about trifling stuff and in the process undermining the entire purpose of the topic, that is warning about sighted test flaws until it's a consensus in the hobby. that day may never come for all I know so I very much find important to keep talking about it and not to oppose it just to talk about something else because you want to. I suggested it before, create a topic about blind testing limitations, that's very fine. I doubt it's practical because each test comes with it's own controls and biases so the reliability will vary in direct relation to those factors for each test. we would probably need series of case by case reflections.

about who has or hasn't measured something well that's even more irrelevant to the topic, at least accuse people of not doing listening tests, that's on topic. or do you mean to say that if people don't measure stuff, they can't write?
wink_face.gif

now blaming the sound science section and grouping everybody in the same bag, how does that serve any sort of purpose? it's not like people in this subsection are all researchers, I certainly am not. we're not even pretending to do science, we're simply a little interested in science(some more than others). I would be fine with a subsection called "I don't get it" or anything lighter than "sound science", but I didn't name this sub section of the forum. I also didn't write the TOS and do not have the power to turn this sub section into a slightly more ignorant but friendlier copy of hydrogen where factual objective truth rules over everything else. I personally would love it, but it's not my prerogative as a quasimodo. so how do regular forum members take the blame for what that section is or isn't? from my point of view, if they're here, at least they're trying. I've come to talk to plenty of people with great knowledge and good ideas that won't set foot in the section and just criticize from afar when asked about it.

anyway, that too is off topic and I'm not setting a good example.

Dec 7, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #81 of 94
  (...)  I very much find important to keep talking about it and not to oppose it just to talk about something else because you want to.

As I've said before, if you want to keep repeating the same old stuff again and again, it's fine but don't count me in. Everyone can write in here and that's fine for sure.
I just don't like the position of those who have bought the ultra-simplified "objectivism" philosophy and write about logic and science and mistreat those who write things they find hard to understand or inconvenient.

I'm done here, I've gave the "Sound Science" title too much credit I guess.
Maybe I'll start a new thread about two cables sounding the same later, I'm pretty sure you'll find that very much important.

Unsubscribed.

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #82 of 94
  1- You'll like them the same in the long run if you let sight biasing aside. That's what I've meant.

2- One thing is to talk about objective performance of certain speaker/headphone, 1%THD in the bass @ 100Hz, FR, etc. The other thing is giving subjective impressions of the product's sound quality. Those are two different things.
  [2a] I don't think you can say: "a blind test massively increases the chances of an opinion based on the speaker's actual audio performance rather than on some other factor unrelated to audio performance." as a general fact because only one case is needed to prove you wrong and you'll find many.
[2b] Under certain conditions a blind test won't increase massively the chances of an opinion based on actual performance.

3- Not sure what you mean, preference has little or even nothing to do with objective performance. Some people enjoy high levels of second order distortion in the bass, that's their preference and we can not say their preference is invalid.

1. So you're not able to provide any evidence to support your claim that the "long run" is more accurate or more reliable?

2. No, the point you seem determined to avoid is that there are not two different things, there are three!! There's A. The objective performance, B. The subjective opinion on performance and C. The subjective opinion which only purports to be on performance but is actually based on some sight related bias.
2a. Now that's patently false! Only one case would be needed to prove me wrong if I had said; "blind testing absolutely always guarantees ..."  but that's not what I stated!
2b. Which brings us right back to where we started, because under "certain circumstances" one can die just as surely from falling out of bed as from falling off a skyscraper. Typically though, that is not the case!

3. Are you really "not sure what I mean" or are you just saying that because you realise your argument has led you into a logical cul-de-sac? Just in case you really don't understand: Neither I nor anyone else is saying a sighted or blind preference test leads to a determination of objective performance (thing "A" in point #2). Even if I don't agree with someone else's subjective personal preference on performance, I cannot (and would not) say that preference is invalid, provided it is actually thing "B". If it's thing "C" though, there's a high probability that it's invalid!

I'm done here, I've gave the "Sound Science" title too much credit I guess. ... Unsubscribed.

You guess wrong, you gave it too little credit! If you had remained you would either have had to admit your argument was incorrect or continued to defend it with increasingly irrational statements/mis-statements. Unsubscribing avoids both those apparently unpalatable options. I give you credit for that, many audiophiles would have continued with increasingly irrational mis-statements until the discussion had nowhere else to go except insulting their sanity.

G

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #83 of 94
I don't think you can say: "a blind test massively increases the chances of an opinion based on the speaker's actual audio performance rather than on some other factor unrelated to audio performance."

Why the hell would I do a listening test to determine audio performance in the first place? If I wanted that, I'd go and measure every parameter I wanted.

Dec 16, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #84 of 94
Let me offer you a story.  Back in the 60's I worked in a boutique audio store on the Left Coast.  I was a tech but was mentored by an old salesman on how to sell speakers and amplifiers when A-B testing.  It is delightfully simple.  I will use an example, selling a cheap $100 box speaker against a far more expensive speaker system and you want to sell him the cheap box.

Set the customer down, get the A-B switcher set up, bring up the music level on the cheap speaker, then switch go the expensive one.  Then lower the level and talk to the customer, then do it again.

The cheap box will usually sound better.

Whoa, what is going on here?

Simple, when you throw the switch where is a momentary break in the audio stream, less than a millisecond, but its effect on the head is dynamic, it is a 100% drop out and then full level return of the audio and it is like hitting your ear with a hammer.  It takes the ear time to recover, the mind is confused and becomes biased.

If you lower the level and then switch back to the cheap audio source this does not happen, that is there is no audio impact, no confusion.

Switching back and forth is even more confusing.  An A-B only works honestly when you pad down the level before switching to either A or B.

Good luck folks, it is all an illusion and illusions can be forged.

Regards, Barry

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #85 of 94
  Let me offer you a story.  Back in the 60's I worked in a boutique audio store on the Left Coast.  I was a tech but was mentored by an old salesman on how to sell speakers and amplifiers when A-B testing.  It is delightfully simple.  I will use an example, selling a cheap $100 box speaker against a far more expensive speaker system and you want to sell him the cheap box.

Set the customer down, get the A-B switcher set up, bring up the music level on the cheap speaker, then switch go the expensive one.  Then lower the level and talk to the customer, then do it again.

The cheap box will usually sound better.

Whoa, what is going on here?

Simple, when you throw the switch where is a momentary break in the audio stream, less than a millisecond, but its effect on the head is dynamic, it is a 100% drop out and then full level return of the audio and it is like hitting your ear with a hammer.  It takes the ear time to recover, the mind is confused and becomes biased.

If you lower the level and then switch back to the cheap audio source this does not happen, that is there is no audio impact, no confusion.

Switching back and forth is even more confusing.  An A-B only works honestly when you pad down the level before switching to either A or B.

Good luck folks, it is all an illusion and illusions can be forged.

Regards, Barry

Matching volume is a crucial part of blind testing, and I really hope people who care about blind testing know that.

Dec 17, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #86 of 94

Matching volume is a crucial part of blind testing, and I really hope people who care about blind testing know that.

A big +1 on that.  Volume should be matched to within .1 db or about 1.2% voltage levels.  Blind or sighted.  This is critical crucial step #1.  Level matching by ear is too crude.  It will sound the same loudness, but be different enough to sound different in quality.

Even sighted when I have matched levels many 'apparent' or 'obvious' differences vanish.  Differences many thought so obvious as to not need blind testing turn out to be suddenly difficult to parse out when levels are matched. 

MATCH THOSE LEVELS.  

Mismatched level comparisons are truly useless.  Or worse than useless, they are always misleading. 

Dec 17, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #87 of 94
The point that I was trying to make is that there is more than just level matching in the dark to take into consideration.

Years ago, when Monster Cable started, I was a consultant to them while I was Chief Engineer of SAE, I evangelized the cables and as a physicist delivered talks to audio groups and reviewers explaining the science behind cable issued as well as designed them. 

I build a  cable blind A-B device that had several proprieties:

1 - Cables were switched by big contactors shunted with high quality capacitors.

2 - Then unit had a volt meter build in that would permit tweaking the level for each cable if there was a difference in conduction.

3 - Prior to switching the unit rapidly padded down the amplifier input signal levels by relay/resistor padding in 0.5 db steps.  This pad was switched out of the circuit path when listening so that it was not part of the listening signal path.

4 - It had two switching options, when you press the 'Change' button on a tether cable, the change occurred as follows:

a - Mode 1 transferred form one cable to the other with additional option of the an annunciator light telling you which cable (A or B) was in play, this light could be switched off so you didn't know, but someone could remember where you started and in effect do 'card counting' to know what was what.  

b - Mode 2 where all the same happened but a random number generator (like flipping a coin) chose the actual contractor and thus cable.   You had no way of knowing if the cable in use had changed but you heard ghe contactors 'click".  You could do this up to 20 times and an LED numeric display that the listener could see counted the changes for you,   On the back of the box were two rows of LEDs (A and B), 20 each, that logged the cable in use for each change.  A reviewer or the like could keep a written record on a piece of paper and compare it to the actual cable use at the end of the up to 20 choice session and then reset to do it again.  This was done with a very simple MPU (a RCA 6502 MPU chip from an Apple II computer in the very early 70's) and was admittedly a primitive controller but a most effective blind A-B testing system.

More than 40 years ago we were facing the same issues you are now but we did more than just talk about it.  A knowledge of history is very valuable.

Regards, Barry Thornton

Dec 17, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #88 of 94

More than 40 years ago we were facing the same issues you are now but we did more than just talk about it.  

And yet nothing has changed.

Cable vendors are still hawking expensive cables, but now have expanded into digital cables.

My conclusion: 

The desire of placebophiles to believe, when coupled with the industry desire to sell to them, and the audio media to collaborate and tell stories, is more powerful than all the experiments.

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #89 of 94
You are absolutely correct.

This goes way beyond cables, we did the same with electronics.  I design far better sounding phono preamps and headphone amplifiers than i could 20 years ago.  The experiments are needed to come up with clues upon which we can build new myths as the basis for more tempting stories,  In fact audio is a bit subjectively better than it was in the past, that is we can create better illusions.  Digital fortunately came along and traded convenience for performance thus setting back the subjective improvements we attained in pure analog, this opened new markets (younger audiophiles) creating growth, thus the industry grew and we get to do it all again.

Hi-ho, away we go.

Barry Thornton - Austinaudioworks.com

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #90 of 94
  You are absolutely correct.

This goes way beyond cables, we did the same with electronics.  I design far better sounding phono preamps and headphone amplifiers than i could 20 years ago.  The experiments are needed to come up with clues upon which we can build new myths as the basis for more tempting stories,  In fact audio is a bit subjectively better than it was in the past, that is we can create better illusions.  Digital fortunately came along and traded convenience for performance thus setting back the subjective improvements we attained in pure analog, this opened new markets (younger audiophiles) creating growth, thus the industry grew and we get to do it all again.

Hi-ho, away we go.

Barry Thornton - Austinaudioworks.com

Now you did it.  
biggrin.gif

Probably going to need an Industry Insider tag added to your username/avatar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back