The DIR800C is selling in US, right now!
Apr 1, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #31 of 57
May release could mean anything. Remember the item is pretty much ready to go- just the packaging and the PS needs to be swapped.

A few other stores on the web list them as pre-orders, or "coming soon" so at least Pioneer has informed their distributors of it. The more reputable dealers don't even bother listing a product so far in advance.

Like I said, we should have them within two months, which isn't much considering you'll get a US warranty with them.

I purchased my Pioneer VSX-D912 receiver from www.6ave.com . They are a reputable, authorized dealer and very cheap. I'll probably purchase the phones from them.

Apr 1, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #32 of 57
Today, just out of interest, I decided to find out exactly what the situation is with Datavision being an authorised dealer or not of Pioneer.

I contacted the Pioneer Head office and they looked through their internal databases but did not have a record of Datavision being an authorised retailer. However, they did suggest I contact Pioneer's office in New Jersey. I did this and they too had no record of Datavision and were strongly of the opinion that they were not authorised. To be 100% sure they suggested I speak to Thunderball, their distributor in the New York area.

I spoke to Thunderball (who are on 8th Avenue New York City - Datavision are on 5th Avenue) and they confirmed that Datavision are not authorised retailers.

Regarding availability of the SE-DIR800C Pioneer said May but the individual I spoke to at Thunderball knew about these headphones and advised that it would probably not be available before June or July. Datavision may get them in earlier but they would not be getting them from Pioneer's US authorised distributors.

I trust this helps those who are interested in these headphones.

Peter

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #34 of 57
Thanks for all your follow-up calls, Peter!

From what others on this forum have discovered about Datavision I pretty much suspected that they were suspect. (In your phone calls to them yesterday they sounded evasive as hell.)

Although I value the truth in all things, I'm kind of bummed that these headphones won't be released until the summer now. I'm tempted to let my order at Datavision continue to ride to see what happens, but I'll probably only end up getting burned in the end. (Of course, it's my OWN fault if I do.) I'm wondering if the headphones that Datavision is "supposedly" getting in the next 5-7 days are grey market goods?

Has anybody reading this and on this forum physically gone into their B&M store and bought something? How was your experience? (There's a place out here in Los Angeles that sells electronic goods at super-low prices, but you can forget about returning it if there's a problem. The owner will tell you to return to the manufacturer.)

Again, thanks for all the work and especially the warning, Peter.

(I've got to STOP looking at these headphones at the Audio Cubes web site. I feel my will power slowly erroding... )
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #35 of 57
. . But you could be listening to them in a few days if you buy from audiocubes.

[size=xx-small]buy them. . . buy them. . . buy them. . . they sound so good and won't be in the US for a while[/size]

Apr 2, 2004 at 12:44 PM Post #36 of 57
I live very close to their physical store, and when I called them on tuesday, they said they had 2, but were spoken for and he recommended I order from the web site (let's answer that one in unison: no!). He said he'd be getting more today.

I'll call back and see what the situation is, and report back. If they have any, I'll stop by and see what the condition is.

Assuming they have them, it's a choice between:

Datavis: $280 + tax + effectively no warranty
Audiocubes: $385 + shipping + cumbersome warranty
RCS (only other online store I could find easily to preorder from) or other retailers: $350 roughly + shipping + warranty + wait of two months.

I'm not sure that's an easy choice: if the datavis one is new (very important to check out), then you'd be paying about $100 for the warranty to buy from audiocubes instead. That's...high.

Apr 2, 2004 at 1:46 PM Post #37 of 57
I just called up:

"I'm looking for the SE-DIR80.."
--"The pioneer headphones? We haven't gotten them in yet."
"When will you have them in?"
--"The release is early april, so we'll hope for soon."

Note how on Tuesday, they had two, but were committed. Guess they weren't too committed.

While, I'll still try calling every so often, I would cast more aspersion on the idea that they're going to be there anytime soon.

edit: I'm going to try and call RCS and see what they think the release date is. If it's not at the very latest, in May, I'll just go through AudioCubes: my new apartment is kind of sound sensitive, so my surround sound system sits very very quiet.

update: RCS has no idea when they're going to be released.

Apr 2, 2004 at 3:04 PM Post #38 of 57
I spoke to someone at Pioneer and they're saying June now.

Datavis is probably lying. The only way they could have any was if they were grey market from Asia. Doubtful.

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #39 of 57
Okay guys here some more information, I researched on the Datavis.coms being a member of verisign, I called to verify that they were a member and they are. Since they have verisign your money is safe. They use Network Solutions which is under versign.

Second, I was told from the sales guy that the ETA on the DIR800C arriving in their stores was April 5th, so I think I might wait till then.

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #41 of 57
I was walking to get to Hunter Park today, and lo and behold, DataVision. I went in: looked respectable. I talked to the guy at the sound counter, and he said Tuesday or Wednesday, says that they don't import Japanese goods, and took me for a reservation, without any money down.

So I think I'll wait this week then.

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #42 of 57
Dang, I KNEW I should have waited.
mad.gif
(Not really!) Putting everything together that I've learned from this thread, I cancelled my order at Datavision and caved in to the subliminal message from venne and ordered a set from Audio Cubes.

Reasoning:

1) Each salesperson at Datavision seems to have a different answer as to when they'll be getting the 880C at the store. Are the salespeople at Datavision anything like the salespeople at my local Best Buy? (Most are pretty clueless about electronic products and are a fountain of misinformation.) I noticed that Datavision sells a wide variety of merchandise from flashlights to computer furniture--kind of like my local Best Buy. (Get the connection?) Sure, they can look something up on a computer--that doesn't mean that the computer's database is current or correct. (And, sure, the salesguy put your name on a reservation list WITHOUT taking a deposit. If the product shows up ten days or ten months from now, what does he care? By the way, my local Best Buy has reservation lists, also
wink.gif
.)

2) Pioneer representatives have said that the product won't be available until at least June or July in this country. Good enough for me. I'm ready to buy NOW, however, and the only way I can do that is to purchase the imported version.

3) Audio Cubes is a well-established sponsor of this forum and several people have ordered their DIR800C from them without a hitch. (I put my order in yesterday and received a tracking order number today. My kind of service!)

4) I'm additionally looking to buy a stand-alone pair of the Audio-Technica Dolby headphones that have been been reported by Takashi to work fine with the Pioneer base unit: (http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=64470)
What if the US version and the Japanese version of the DIR800C are somehow not compatible? (One less worry.)

Despite, the horror stories I've heard about Datavision, every time I've contacted them they've been very polite, helpful, and probably (in their minds) forthcoming. I just don't think that even THEY know when they'll be receiving their shipment of the DIR800Cs. Like all retailers, they want to garner sales, and non-committal responses such as "Any day now; early next week; by the (beginning) or (the end) of the month..." often placate most customers.

If I had been more patient, I would have saved some bucks, but as it's been said before, "Time IS money."

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #43 of 57
I guess that leaves me.

Well if it's not there by monday, I WILL cancel.

Good luck, Franchot, I hope things work out for you.

Ohhh by the way,

I wonder how the ATH-DCL3000 Wireless Headphone Digitrometer is doing.

Like, has it been seeing any customers lately or what?
wink.gif

Y'know besides the heavy price tag you kind of have to admire the kind of convenience it has to offer, I mean, shoot, all it has to do to get someones attention is reach for the remote.
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #44 of 57
Note, I said I'd wait till next week: I'm still not sure it'll be there.

As far as rationalizing the Audio Cubes purchase, there are definently plenty of reasons to go for it: Datavis's online record is crappy, it's hard to pin down when they'll get it (if it's not imported, and Pioneer says June-July, then where are they getting theirs from?), and plus, you'd have no warranty from Datavis. So spending the extra money can make sense.

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #45 of 57
Took the plunge on the 800 from AudioCubes and its on its way. Just received tracking information. I've purchased from them before and they are a sponsor so I have confidence in them.

If any of you can't wait to get your hands/ears on the 800 AND don't mind the additional cash outlay go with AudioCubes. Kohn is a great guy to deal with.

I hope everyone's dealings with Data Vision go well.

Regards - reynman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back