The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Mar 21, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #3,421 of 15,119
Quote:
I can see how it could help with that but you don't need to either stop thinking at all or have some kind of "radical acceptance" that things are the way they are and you can never change them and shouldn't bother trying.  If anyone actually manages to do that they'll just have turned themselves into a drugged out benzo zombie without the drugs.

It can be hard to control or deal with with emotions or impulses sometimes and dealing with such a problem isn't exactly straightforward either.  Coming to terms with your place in reality can be pretty hard as well.  I think that deciding that you want to stop thinking completely or stop caring about anything (which is the logical consequence of accepting everything as it is) is psychic suicide.  Its giving up just as surely as killing yourself is.  Its the coward's way out.

I don't really want to go into detail about myself here but I've had personal experience with this sort of thing.

Doesn't it seem as if we merely live to slowly, but surely desensitize ourselves to world over time?

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:19 AM Post #3,422 of 15,119
Quote:
Actually you can't stop thinking at all ( unless you die). Meditation is a process which may lead to an ecstasy ( when your thought waves seize) which will last mere seconds. It's just seconds when you'll stop thinking.

Its more about what you're trying to do rather than what's actually practical and/or possible.

Quote:
Doesn't it seem as if we merely live to slowly, but surely desensitize ourselves to world over time?

I'm not sure about that one...

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #3,423 of 15,119
Quote:
That never made any sense to me.  If you stop thinking then what is the point of even living?  The only time that ever sounded appealing was when I was very depressed which suggests that it really is maladaptive.

The term I see used sometimes, and which I think is more appropriate for many varieties of meditation, is mindfulness. You're not trying to shut down all neurological processes.

Another way to consider it is that the default method of controlling your thoughts is to think about your thinking and use that thinking to control the other thinking, and so on, in feedback loops that exacerbate depression. It's called the monkey mind (might be a term from Zen, I can't recall offhand); busy busy busy, no simplicity. Meditation techniques can be used to discipline your thought processes and eliminate the layers of noise. So it's about control, but without needless ad-hoc control structures.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #3,424 of 15,119
Quote:
The term I see used sometimes, and which I think is more appropriate for many varieties of meditation, is mindfulness. You're not trying to shut down all neurological processes.

That could indeed be useful.  The problem is that there are lots of different things called meditation and different goals for those practicing them.  I'm only criticizing a few specific kinds and since I lack the terminology to precisely label them its rather easy for my statements to be interpreted in an overly broad manner.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #3,425 of 15,119

Quote:
Actually you can't stop thinking at all ( unless you die).

You're contradicting what you said before, now.

Quote:

Meditation is a process which may lead to an ecstasy ( when your thought waves seize) which will last mere seconds. It's just seconds when you'll stop thinking.

So enlightenment amounts to an orgasm? How Reichian.

But in all seriousness, since meditation is the cornerstone of many Eastern religions and practices, I think saying it amounts to "not thinking" or an ecstatic episode is kind of like saying prayer is "asking for stuff." It's just.... a parody or something. I mean, under that definition it makes little sense that Buddhists would be active in their communities or every try to help anyone. They should just go "not think" and call it a day.

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #3,428 of 15,119
Quote:

@Tom: Would you suggest auditioning the UM3X if I enjoy the way the BA200 presents vocals?

Hmm, I don't know. I guess it's worth a listen, though the UM3X is more extreme in vocal presentation, more like the ultra-forwardness of something like the SM3. The UM3X used to be one of my favorite IEMs, and for some time, I was intent on getting one, but not so much anymore. I don't really think you'll get any more out of the UM3X other than a warmer, softer-edged presentation. I definitely think the BA200 is more enjoyable for music listening. The UM3X is a musician's monitor in every way.

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #3,429 of 15,119
A short confession: I've been on phone conferences for anywhere from three to eight hours a day on most business days for a while, and it's making me tired of putting things in and on my ears. Which means I haven't been listening to much music lately unless it's the soundtrack for a TV commercial during a basketball game.

Anybody got music so good it'll make me wear my customs again? I'll try all recommendations.

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #3,430 of 15,119
So, how 'bout the Schiit Mjolnir and Gungnir? Any excitement for their "mid-range" products? Supposedly their statement models will be out this year too.

I'm looking forward to the statement stuff. I'm not going to wait on it though. I think I might pick up a Grace m903 to be my DAC and amp until they come out.

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #3,431 of 15,119
Personally, I'm more interested in the Super 7:

The Zana Deux SE has been my go-to amp when paired with the Azur 840C, but the Super 7 is much more versatile. Since it has speaker taps I'd be able to pair it with the TakeT TR2 and H2+.

Craig's amps don't buzz, unlike the Leben which I've always regretted getting (that's head-fi hype for you).

EC stuff is good though old looking. You should sell the Leben. Lots of rabid fans to pick one up here.

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #3,432 of 15,119
Quote:
I'm looking forward to the statement stuff. I'm not going to wait on it though. I think I might pick up a Grace m903 to be my DAC and amp until they come out.

I was always interested in the Grace units because of their crossfeed circuit.  I just looked at the specs for the 903 and if my calculations are correct the ODAC prototype has 7 more dB dynamic range.  That could end up being important with sensitive IEMs

Quote:
EC stuff is good though old looking. You should sell the Leben. Lots of rabid fans to pick one up here.

That's kind of the point isn't it?  If I ever buy another tube amp at some point in the future EC is on the short list.  IMO the point of splurging on a tube amp is pretty much all about looks anyway and if the reports are to be believed they're actually engineered pretty well too.

I actually want to design and build some kind of crazy tube amp myself but I can't justify the cash since I don't imagine any advantage to it besides it being really cool looking and there are other more inexpensive things I could build for fun.

I've got a bunch of 12AU7s and 6922s laying around here.  Maybe I could build a crossfeed circuit out of them or something.  I need to borrow a o'scope...

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #3,433 of 15,119
Thanks for the info on the ODAC, I'm sure I'll pick one up when they are released also.

As far as the EC stuff, I personally don't care much for the 1940s looks, but the engineering quality is so good that I might buy one if the circumstances were right.

Mar 21, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #3,434 of 15,119

I understand. But you really have to think of it on the side of those with serious issues. You could never truly understand this (understandably of course) unless you've experienced mental illness at some point in your life. You may sympathize but until you've lived it yourself; you really will never know.
Quote:
I can see how it could help with that but you don't need to either stop thinking at all or have some kind of "radical acceptance" that things are the way they are and you can never change them and shouldn't bother trying.  If anyone actually manages to do that they'll just have turned themselves into a drugged out benzo zombie without the drugs.

It can be hard to control or deal with with emotions or impulses sometimes and dealing with such a problem isn't exactly straightforward either.  Coming to terms with your place in reality can be pretty hard as well.  I think that deciding that you want to stop thinking completely or stop caring about anything (which is the logical consequence of accepting everything as it is) is psychic suicide.  Its giving up just as surely as killing yourself is.  Its the coward's way out.

I don't really want to go into detail about myself here but I've had personal experience with this sort of thing.

Mar 21, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #3,435 of 15,119

Quote:
Did you guys know about this before, or have I been living under a rock??? http://www.beyerdynamic.com/custom/

Quote:
Is it manufaktur?

Yes, I believe it may be part of the "Manufaktur" line that Jude did a video segment on from the show.  It sure looks better than the generic DT 770 Pros I have.  I don't really care for any of those prints at the moment though.  I wish I had more information on where these fall in their line-up in terms of sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back