The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Mar 5, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #2,401 of 15,119
I got in contact with someone who works for the company and directed him to a few of my reviews on head-fi, so he arranged to have review samples sent to me.

They're not ready for US distribution yet, but I was told they have a retail partner in Canada who will be providing them at some point in the future.

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #2,403 of 15,119

Quote:
I got in contact with someone who works for the company and directed him to a few of my reviews on head-fi, so he arranged to have review samples sent to me.

They're not ready for US distribution yet, but I was told they have a retail partner in Canada who will be providing them at some point in the future.

Good to know there's a Canadian distributor lined up. A lot of times we have to run the customs gauntlet with taxes and fees when ordering from the USA

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #2,404 of 15,119
Quote:
A few updates for impressions.

This week:
Final Audio Design 1602 SS Piano Forte IX
RedGiant Audio A00 Malleus
RedGiant Audio A03 Ossicle

Oh! You got them? Nice. The Malleus requires EQing to sound its best; otherwise it's prone to distortion and sibilance. (They're in my ears right now.) Not bad for $40.

I'll let you figure out the Ossicle when you get it
tongue_smile.gif
(I actually think you might possibly hate it if you can't get it to fit correctly.)

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #2,405 of 15,119
My morning's soundtrack has been provided by Von LMO

To play the rock math game, he's kind of like Sun Ra on the late-70s New York No Wave scene, channeling the saucer people who want to accelerate your progress through Erik Erikson's stages of development.

It's common to dwell on how crazy David Thomas (of Pere Ubu) is, but he always struck me as being obsessive and hyperfocused rather than nuts. If he was forty years younger, maybe there'd be drugs that kept him off of rock's borderlands. Von LMO? I'm not as sure; deliberate obscurity, maintaining his Von LMO persona offstage as well as on -- even into his 50s -- all add up to somebody who started with an act and was driven mad by it, or somebody who's channeled his madness into a cause. Either way, the music is both odd and oddly prosaic, an eye-opener in its own right.

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #2,407 of 15,119

Quote:
The Piano Forte IX has arrived, and the RedGiants are scheduled for delivery by the end of today. The plan is to discuss my thoughts with Tom first, then post them around the same time.

I'm all ears and giddy with anticipation. If you're able to and if it's not to much of an imposition could you maybe throw up some pics of the Forte IX? I'm curious to see what they look like plain Jane with no fancy photography snazzying their appearance up.

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #2,408 of 15,119
Quote:
The Piano Forte IX has arrived, and the RedGiants are scheduled for delivery by the end of today. The plan is to discuss my thoughts with Tom first, then post them around the same time.

The PF IX is soooo pretty.

Oh, and don't worry about waiting for me to post your thoughts. I'll be creating a separate thread for that anyways, so that'll come later. I really haven't had a lot of time to pump out quality writing.

I highly doubt ardgedee will go all gossip girl on us and start talking about the RedGiants everywhere, randomly.
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #2,410 of 15,119
Picking up a pair of HD598 at my meet this weekend. Price was too good to pass up. I've heard them before and they were great, but if I end up not wanting them I can certainly get my money back.

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #2,411 of 15,119

Quote:
Picking up a pair of HD598 at my meet this weekend. Price was too good to pass up. I've heard them before and they were great, but if I end up not wanting them I can certainly get my money back.

Ah, my first true cans, and for the looks, they should be a keeper for sure.

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #2,412 of 15,119
Quote:

Just got mine recabled with the Cardas Smurf. It's not a true recable; I did nothing to the internal wiring and actually kept the removable plug, cut off most of the ridiculously long 3m cord, re-terminated with a female 1/8" socket, and made the Cardas cable terminated to dual 3.5mm plugs like an interconnect. It's mostly just a cable management procedure rather than anything else. I could've just lopped off the original cable, but it was already triple braided and would've looked ugly if I unbraided it.

Quote:
Maybe I am tired but I am no longer picky how my IEMs sounds. 

Apathy will save you money.

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #2,413 of 15,119
I won't be modding them. Mostly just want them for comparison.

Mar 5, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #2,414 of 15,119
My smoking habit is fairly casual. At its most extreme, I expend two or three cigarettes a week. Other times it's only two or three a month. At the moment I'm sort of in between and averaging one smoke a week. It's really an intermittent phenomena, sometimes stopping for a period of several months before resuming again, or in this most recent case stopping for several years before reigniting seemingly out of nowhere.

In the years since, I've discovered that the local sale and distribution of clove cigarettes is now banned in the US for some reason. Which sucks, because I primarily smoke Djarums. I'm now faced with the prospect of finding an online vendor overseas and importing some; it's perfectly legal on the condition that it's just a few packs for personal use and not redistribution. Unfortunately it'll cost quite a bit more and customs will likely come up with some fees to add on to that.

At the moment I'm checking out a few different websites. I've asked the folks in the cigarette-fi thread if they have any recommendations.

Also, I've been considering trying out those "e-cigarettes," though they remind me of a Cinco product that would appear on Tim & Eric Awesome Show Great Job! for some reason. I think it's a combination of the idea and the name... "e-cigarette." Seems like an interesting concept though.

Mar 5, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #2,415 of 15,119

Quote:

Here are some photos of the Fostex TH900, its packaging, and included headphone stand courtesy of big boss Jude. Apparently it's showing up on the shelves of a few stores in Japan now, though PriceJapan still has no word on when it's going to ship. Most importers and deputy services don't carry stock and will only place an order with the Fostex distributor when you've paid for it in full, so that delays things a bit. I sure hope mine ships soon, because OH GOD LOOK AT THOSE PICTURES. Hurry up and ship!

I did get word that my Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2 will be shipping out by next week in all likelihood. Supposedly the HiFiMan HE-400 will *finally* be shipping around that time too. I'll believe it when it happens.

Those look absolutely beautiful.  I wasn't expecting such a high price, but I guess some of that has to be for the time in finishing them aside from the sound.  Definitely want to know how they compare to the D7000 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back