The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
Jan 30, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #511 of 15,119

Quote:
So, the VSonic GR07. I'm really digging it.

I just hope the cable doesn't turn green on me. But I suppose that's inevitable.

I was wondering when you might have a chance to listen to them! They have been my biggest surprise in a while in terms of audio. They acheived a kind of holy grail for me in terms of being a somewhat analytical headphone that still has great bass depth and articulation.

I haven't heard of this "green" problem you speak of... should I be worried?

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #512 of 15,119

Quote:
I haven't heard of this "green" problem you speak of... should I be worried?

Cable oxidization. Some people seem to have an issue with it, while others don't. Just a cosmetic thing, but I'm wondering if there aren't some tips on how to avoid it.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #513 of 15,119

Quote:

Cable oxidization. Some people seem to have an issue with it, while others don't. Just a cosmetic thing, but I'm wondering if there aren't some tips on how to avoid it.

Interestingly enough I notice there are places on the cable of my pair with some interesting greenish striations. Pretty subtle though. I'm not super concerned - my complaint is really with the slightly frustrating ear hook that never wants to stay behind my left ear.

I always consider the 07 to be the IEM that I could show to both audiophiles and casual users alike and be reliably sure it would impress them. This is versus the SM3, which people have said were muddy. (A valid complaint since it takes some listening to hook into their sound.)

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #514 of 15,119
Quote:
What about the XBA-1 in particular do you find promising, out of curiosity? Price-to-performance ratio? Sound sig?

Not really promising, just the fact that it has the full-range driver on its own. I want to hear what the "base" sound is.

Quote:
I have some friends who are into IEMs, and one such friend is borrowing my IE80 in exchange for his GR07 for a week or so. I'm really enjoying it! Yes, quite comfortable indeed. Sound is quite nicely balanced, too. Vocals in particular are rendered quite capably. I think I'll be getting one of my own. Any tips on preventing oxidation?

I see. Well, the newest batch has a much better cable. I don't know which one your friend has, but the new version has a slick feel and is much more pliable than the matte feel of the original cable. Maybe you won't run into oxidation issues at all.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #515 of 15,119

Quote:
I always consider the 07 to be the IEM that I could show to both audiophiles and casual users alike and be reliably sure it would impress them. This is versus the SM3, which people have said were muddy. (A valid complaint since it takes some listening to hook into their sound.)

The SM3 v2 is also on my ever-expanding list of things to audition. Its dark sound signature is usually mentioned in the context of a negative for many people, but to me it sounds appealing.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #516 of 15,119
Sigh. I don't have enough time to use the few I already have, let alone collect an entire room full. 
frown.gif
 I keep getting too wrapped up in what i'm listening to to think about swapping out for comparison or any other reason.

Or maybe I'm just lazy. Yeah. Much more likely. 
beyersmile.png

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #517 of 15,119
Quote:
The SM3 v2 is also on my ever-expanding list of things to audition. Its dark sound signature is usually mentioned in the context of a negative for many people, but to me it sounds appealing.

I think Earsonics changed the tuning of the V2 somewhat. I've never heard the V1, but the V2 sounds aces to me --- not really any of that 'darkness' or 'muddiness' people talk about. Well, it not nearly as bright as say, an EX1000, but it sounds like an uber-UM3x to my ears, with a bit better musical quality. Beware of the fit, however. Even though it appears to be better than the V1 with its rounded edges, if you have small ears, wood maiden, it might fit you poorly. I have medium-small ears, and hated the fit.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #521 of 15,119

Quote:
She pretends to be a guy pretending to be a girl.

In Russian language there are endings ( at the end of names, adjectives and verbs) which reflect gender. For example, the singer of the "Zola Jesus" is Danilova ( Danilov would be a male last name). So you can't hide your gender unless you want to do it on purpose.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #525 of 15,119
Quote:
I think both me and you can agree to dropping the topic about "her, him, it, alien, whatever"

I think English needs gender neutral pronouns.  The ones most likely to be adopted in to wide use are usually hated by grammar Nazis and feminists leaving only ridiculous sounding words that no one will ever actually use.

While we're wishing for stuff, I think it's likely that the world would be a much better place if everyone started speaking Lojban because of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back