The diary entries of a little girl nearing 30!
May 14, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #6,466 of 15,119
Quote:
Hmphhh, did a little more nosing around according to Val the VAMP will sport a AD8397 OpAmp and AK4353 DAC. Where the heck can I find the specs for the VentureCraft Go-Dap? I also double checked the possible asking price for the VAMP, Val stated early on in the thread it would be around 600 USD or so.

EDIT:
The new Go-DAP is expected to be roughly around 30,000 JPY which according to my currency converter app on my Touch is only 436.68 USD!!!!

eek.gif

Quote:

Oh, there is actually a chain of Malaysian restaurants called Mamak here. So mamak refers to street vendor food?

@veyron I like the Roti at mamak but have still yet to be convinced on the other stuff compared to the other Malaysian places I love...

Hmm...for the definition, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamak_stall. Mamak can be a restaurant too, doesn't have to be just roadside vendor. Actually what I miss is the roadside food in my small hometown. My hometown is popular for the otak-otak, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otak-otak. It's a kind of spicy fish cake, wrapped and grilled in banana leaves. Best otak-otak in the world comes from my hometown 
biggrin.gif

Usually the food at overseas isn't as good as the food in the country. Good thing about living in M'sia (or to some extent, Singapore) is that since there are Malay, Chinese and Indian, you get a huge variety of food. A lot of the food is a result of fusion from different culture. 

May 14, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #6,470 of 15,119
Quote:
Ok found some specs on the Go-DAP it'll have to options in opamps a New Japan Radio MUSES8820E or a Burr-Brown OPA2134. Nothing on the DAC, I'm not a tech wiz but does the opamp difference explain the higher price tag?

Most OPs don't vary by a lot of money; even if the opamp inside the Vamp is more expensive, it won't be $100 more expensive. If anything, the MUSES8820 is supposed to be a pretty good opamp, and because it's new, it's a little more expensive than your typical opamp. $600 is a bad price point. Even with the V-Moda name, they should only be allowed to charge $499 at most.

May 14, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #6,473 of 15,119
The specs for the op amp, if anyone is interested: http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/2036679-ic-opamp-audio-dual-8-emp-muses8820e.html

By far, one of the lowest noise figure I have seen on op amp. 4.5nV per root Hz at 1kHz. So if we know how much gain they are putting on the op amp, we can potentially calculate the noise of the op amp.

I feel like getting the FAD Heaven C, and go with the 1964Ears Quad or UERM. Or just get the Hidition NT-6. Problem is, even after reading a few reviews, I still can't see how it compares to other CIEM at about the same price range, or other more expensive with same number of drivers. I can also hurt my wallet, and go for the FitEar TO-GO 334. 
biggrin.gif

I thought I wouldn't really get into IEM or CIEM that much, but the recent change of weather changed my mind. In hot and humid country like M'sia, I definitely need to use a comfortable IEM during the day, means the headphone will only be used later in the day...

May 14, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #6,475 of 15,119
Quote:
I feel like getting the FAD Heaven C, and go with the 1964Ears Quad or UERM. Or just get the Hidition NT-6. Problem is, even after reading a few reviews, I still can't see how it compares to other CIEM at about the same price range, or other more expensive with same number of drivers. I can also hurt my wallet, and go for the FitEar TO-GO 334. 
biggrin.gif

I thought I wouldn't really get into IEM or CIEM that much, but the recent change of weather changed my mind. In hot and humid country like M'sia, I definitely need to use a comfortable IEM during the day, means the headphone will only be used later in the day...

Don't forget the K3003, which is arguably the easiest to wear, and won't make your ears sweaty after a day under the tropical sun. For customs, I think the race is between the UERM and NT6. The NT6 seems to have a lot of promise for me. I don't know about the 1964-Q, but I've heard that it's fairly bass present, and not exactly reference quality. For a cheaper price, I'd go for the 4.A. You can also consider grabbing the 6.A before it dries up. I also find the FitEar 333 extremely enjoyable. If only they sold a TO GO! version of it...

May 14, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #6,476 of 15,119
My brother and I have made it a mission of sorts to find an importer willing to act as a go-between for Japanese customs companies such as FitEar or Canal Works. The idea would be: you'd send your impressions to the importer who then forwards them on and deals with the company locally, returning them to you as a deputy of sorts. It's certainly not ideal in that it adds yet one more step and more expenses (as they'll need compensation for their time) onto an already tedious and expensive process. However if FitEar and Canal Works aren't willing to deal with overseas sales, I don't see another option at present for those abroad who like these companies.

And let's face it: FitEar seems like one of the top customs manufacturers on the planet in terms of build and engineering, so it's just sad that their products aren't accessible to people who are't local.

'Cause, you know. Choosing a custom from all the options out there isn't hard enough.

May 14, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #6,477 of 15,119
Quote:

Don't forget the K3003, which is arguably the easiest to wear, and won't make your ears sweaty after a day under the tropical sun. For customs, I think the race is between the UERM and NT6. The NT6 seems to have a lot of promise for me. I don't know about the 1964-Q, but I've heard that it's fairly bass present, and not exactly reference quality. For a cheaper price, I'd go for the 4.A. You can also consider grabbing the 6.A before it dries up. I also find the FitEar 333 extremely enjoyable. If only they sold a TO GO! version of it...

I most probably won't get the K3003, since at that price I should just go for a CIEM. Although I don't let people's opinion judge what I like, in this case I trust what Purrin have said about the K3003. Joker also mentioned it somewhat. The K3003 have some coherence issue, according to them. Coherence matters a lot for me.

Also, I'm going to move back to US after I move back to M'sia. If I get CIEM, it has to be done in less than 2 months. I definitely need to put the 4.A and the 1964Ears CIEM on my list of consideration. So many options....

May 14, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #6,479 of 15,119
I'm split between the NT-6 and NT-6 Pro. Haven't seen much feedback about the latter yet - it's still new, and came out after many of the usual early adopters here had already ordered the NT-6.

I don't know how interested I would be in Hidition if I wasn't going to South Korea at some point. Which is less to do with Hidition's reputation or offerings - they've got a good rep and are something of a rising star on head-fi - and more to do with this trip coinciding with the timeframe I had intended to try going for a really good CIEM, my dream choices (Spiral Ear, FitEar) being effectively inaccessible, and early descriptions of the NT-6 being very close to what I'm looking for in an end-game CIEM.

My notion is to try to wrangle a visit, either to get my impressions done or to pick up the finished product - I won't be visiting Seoul for long enough to do both. The latter seems like a safer choice to me, since if the result doesn't fit well I can get adjustments and/or a refitting done on the spot without spending time and money on international shipping to get it sorted out.

(As an aside - I could've sworn that Hidition had briefly offered a soft nozzle as an option for their IEMs, but I'm not seeing it now. Maybe I was imagining it earlier?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back