The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Feb 4, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #5,539 of 21,761
maybe too much detail for that person's taste. Could possibly bring out so much of a recording that it shows flaws and thus makes it not enjoyable. But your thought also possible 

This is possible, a headphone can be too detailed for the eqipment they are connected to, or have resonances or frequency peaks which increase fatigue. Like erm my Hd800 and my current system, I think they need some tubes somewhere or a better sorted dac and transport, or a more refined amplifier. Some work is needed. Some inears can be have aggressive frequency response or resonances which are more likely culprits than being too detailed IMO.

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #5,540 of 21,761
Quote:
Anyone tried the Hisound Nova N1 or N3? They look very fancy and are fairly cheap as well.

I'm still waiting on my units to reach me so I can give some comparisons once that happens. I'm not sure if the package was lost in the mail or not. Usually I don't have this issue with mail coming from China but there is always a first time I guess...
rolleyes.gif

Feb 4, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #5,541 of 21,761
Quote:
This is possible, a headphone can be too detailed for the eqipment they are connected to, or have resonances or frequency peaks which increase fatigue. Like erm my Hd800 and my current system, I think they need some tubes somewhere or a better sorted dac and transport, or a more refined amplifier. Some work is needed. Some inears can be have aggressive frequency response or resonances which are more likely culprits than being too detailed IMO.

I had that very issue with the JVC FX700 paired with the Studio V. A very irritating combo indeed and a great example of too much detail. The presentation was not balanced and tilted too much towards treble emphasis.

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #5,542 of 21,761
I had that very issue with the JVC FX700 paired with the Studio V. A very irritating combo indeed and a great example of too much detail. The presentation was not balanced and tilted too much towards treble emphasis.

Hmm good to know, I think I am tempted to get into portable gear again but my destop system needs attention first I think. At least my W4 with ipod or phone isn't too detailed or grating, and I enjoy listening with it.

I just ordered Bel Canto's new Reflink SPDIF transport today. It looks promising, but far too new to know how well it actually performs. Quite a risk but I couldn't resist.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #5,544 of 21,761
New butt-ugly but more durable FitEars!

Also some random shots of Mone-chan, my future waifu:

I wonder if she's going to be unhappy with her new faceplates. Now I'm picturing her with a Phantom of the Opera mask.

Oh Suyama-san, please offer her at Jaben in the future.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #5,545 of 21,761

My favorite track off the new MBV thus far.

This album is really bringing back some memories despite being new. Can't say I'm feeling the hyperbole surrounding it ("it took 22 years to top Loveless, and it's finally been done," etc.), but I'm certainly enjoying it to bits.

Then again, I was always more of a Slowdive fan:

Since I'm on a shoegaze kick this morning, here's something from a little-known band at the time called LovesLiesCrushing. They were, perhaps, the most far out there of the shoegazers and dreampoppers.

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #5,546 of 21,761
Quote:

My favorite track off the new MBV thus far.

This album is really bringing back some memories despite being new. Can't say I'm feeling the hyperbole surrounding it ("it took 22 years to top Loveless, and it's finally been done," etc.), but I'm certainly enjoying it to bits.

Then again, I was always more of a Slowdive fan:

Since I'm on a shoegaze kick this morning, here's something from a little-known band at the time called LovesLiesCrushing. They were, perhaps, the most far out there of the shoegazers and dreampoppers.

Wait... so MBV have a new CD out?

I actually bought the remastered version of Difference Engine - Breadmaker (I had the original CD and lost it years ago! :frowning2: ). They were short-lived but I LOVED ALL their songs from that album.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2009/10/difference-engine/

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #5,547 of 21,761
The new CD won't be shipping until the end of the month, but CD and vinyl ordered direct from MBV include the album as a download.

Fun fact: The latest version of CoreAudio / iTunes finally supports high-density ALAC files! This is awesome.

(Discovered by accident: I ordered the HD WAV version of m b v and transcoded it to ALAC in MAX with default settings -- and aside from thinking, "Hm, 1 GB seems awfully large for an album" while installing the ALACs on the music server it didn't register that the transcoded files were HD until trying to install them on the iPod (which is old and does not support HD-anything.)

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #5,548 of 21,761
Quote:
The new CD won't be shipping until the end of the month, but CD and vinyl ordered direct from MBV include the album as a download.

Fun fact: The latest version of CoreAudio / iTunes finally supports high-density ALAC files! This is awesome.

(Discovered by accident: I ordered the HD WAV version of m b v and transcoded it to ALAC in MAX with default settings -- and aside from thinking, "Hm, 1 GB seems awfully large for an album" while installing the ALACs on the music server it didn't register that the transcoded files were HD until trying to install them on the iPod (which is old and does not support HD-anything.)

What do you mean by high-density ALAC?  ALAC @ 24/192 or is it something more esoteric?

Feb 4, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #5,549 of 21,761
Default is similar to Red Book (16/44.1). The HD version of the MBV album is 24/96.

Previously, transcoding HD files to ALAC within CoreAudio (either through iTunes or any other app that uses CoreAudio) would also downsample to 16/44.1. The 24/96 files did not downsample, and iTunes plays them without raising a fuss, so I didn't notice the change.

This has an unintentional side effect: iTunes and other CoreAudio apps used to accept as implicit that any lossless file was 16/44.1, and that any app that supported ALAC only supported ALAC at 16/44.1. Now that's not true: Older iTunes and iPods retain that limit, but current versions have a higher limit. So, eg, I have to have two versions of "m b v" on my music server: The HD version for computer playback and the red book version (16/44.1) for our mobile devices.

Not a huge problem for me at the moment, aside from having to get a new app to do the transcoding (because my usual tool -- Max -- assumes ALAC is 16/44.1). Storage space could become an issue if we start accumulating a lot of albums like this, but I'll worry about that when I have to.

Feb 4, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #5,550 of 21,761
Interesting.  Thanks for the explanation.  The change must've occurred prior to iTunes 11, though.  I use XLD for my WAV/FLAC > ALAC conversions and I have some 24/192 ALACs going back to at least Sept 2011.  My iPods never liked them but they've always played fine in iTunes.  A quick peek shows 24/96 ALACs as far back as 2009.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back