The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 17, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #3,811 of 21,761
Quote:

Why specifically tonight?  Rare amp and Cicada sounds cool... as long as your write poetry about them once you're done.

I needed to make a decision then and there because of the availability and time restraints related to the sale. I decided to go with it however.

Quote:

Romy which is the best colour?

I'm partial to the green or the black with silver faceplate.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #3,813 of 21,761
Dec 17, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #3,816 of 21,761
Both. I can't really remember the sound now and to be honest I didn't spend as much time as you did listening (and comparing) them though.

Listening YES, comparing no.  I just bought another R04 (it's only $50 now and discontinued so wth) since my girlfriend isn't very conducive to simple favours like sending IEM's to me.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #3,818 of 21,761
Quote:

I have heard it, though I didn't like it as much as the GR07.

X2. I persuaded a coworker to get one after I saw kiteki rave about them.

The 07's improvements weren't worth twice the money...then again, nothing in this hobby is.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #3,820 of 21,761
There is the Vsonic R04 normal version (Edit: Pro version?) which they annnounced 4 years before they released it, apparently, (so... the first Vsonic IEM?  I'm not sure on this detail), then there is the R04 updated version, and the R04 flagship edition / version.

According to their specifications, the flagship version is around 50 ohm, versus around 24 ohm for the updated version.  There are more differences than impedance but Vsonic aren't clear on these things, unless it's been written in Chinese forums and... I can't read Chinese.

The flagship version used to cost around $100, now it's been discontinued and it's selling for cheaper.  They discontinued it since the enhanced sound of GR06 is more popular, and the flagshippyness of GR07 is more popular, so the R04 fell into a void.

I'm fond of the R04 since it's pretty linear, extended, fast, and comes with hardness without harshness, a little like hard candy.  I don't know, I haven't heard it in something like 5 months now, I just really liked it with my Teclast X19+ with SRS TruBass turned on, amazing with violins, better than the GR07 MK2  (Edit:  With violins and SRS)

Another cheap IEM I'm really fond of is the Audio Technica ATH-CKM33.  For me, the best cheap IEM for violins is R04, and the best cheap IEM for metal is ATH-CKM33.  However... I only say cheap because they ARE cheap, I can't actually think of any immediate alternatives at any price which are distinctly better.  The CKM33 is STUNNING with electric guitar, and decent with percussion.

Dec 17, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #3,821 of 21,761
I distastefully remember when I was banned from head-fi (the 1st time when I was all innocent little girl) for I suppose what was 'not respecting equipment' or 'not respecting personal rights' or some whateverness like that.

I find it more than amusing that the latest Hisoundaudio player ($150) is now being attacked as a rebranded Teclast X30 ($29)....
SNSD-CHIEFS.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #3,822 of 21,761
 ​
 ​
Moth Audio 2A3
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

​
I've been an admirer of Moth Audio for a while now, and it was a goal of mine in this hobby to own one of their rare creations. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Moth, it was Craig's company before he adopted the Eddie Current nomenclature; at that point he was working with a Hollywood prop designer and made some truly gorgeous, elaborate pieces. I came across this Moth 2A3 which is located in Europe and ended up buying it.​
 ​
There were several variations of the 2A3, including the [pictured] original, the s2A3, and the si2A3. The original has the rectifier inside the chassis. This can be somewhat problematic as it causes the components to dry out and can create humming issues with sensitive headphones. After speaking to Craig however, I'm going to have him add a second box---specifically the power supply from the Balancing Act---and the rectifier and additional components will be moved to it. This will greatly extend the life of the components inside and eliminate any residual humming on sensitive headphones. Additionally, the caps will be replaced and the amp will be rewired for US voltage.​
 ​
It's going to be a long wait I'm sure, and it's going to end up costing more than I originally thought. However Craig thinks the performance should be on the level of the Balancing Act, only with more power. The amp lacks balanced outputs, but it has speaker taps which fits my needs much better anyway. I'm hoping that this will end up being my "end game" dynamic headphone amp. I love my Zana Deux SE, but this should be on another level entirely.​

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #3,825 of 21,761
That 2A3 with the BA's power supply sounds like it'll be quite the thing.  I'm curious, though, as to why the original rectifier would dry out components in the amp while the 2 in the BA's power supply wouldn't mess with anything in there, where there are a lot more things it seems.  That might be a dumb question, but I'm obviously new to all of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back