The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 16, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #3,691 of 21,761
Quote:
That's quite interesting. And as suggested make it modular; where it's easy to swap the driver out of different cups, with the same headband construction. Would fully support whoever does this, tbh.

Hmm that's something I wanted to ask both of you: FXD80 or 70? I'm feeling spend-ish because of my b-day, and I'm thinking of getting either one with the FXZ100. I just heard that the FXD80 is just too far out from what I'd allow to deviate from my preferred sound signature. But then if I'm going to use it like I plan to; that is as a gymphone; then bassy is quite okay too I guess since I'd only play upbeat, energetic songs with it. Suggestions and advice? Also, I'd asked Dsnuts and/or ericp, but the former is a notorious hypetrain master, and the latter seems a bit busy (I'll assume that out of good faith).

I totally want to get a Makerbot and start doing this kind of stuff lol. 

As for the FXD80 / 70; I've never heard the 70 but would love to. It's a really well designed IEM, and if you don't mind a strong bass tilt it's great. I use my 80 as my default carry around IEM - it's durable and small profile enough that I can always sneak it into my pocket just in case. I'd imagine the same would apply to the 70 but with more isolation. 

The FXZ100 seems like it might sound amazing but honestly those things are huge and at that point I would just wear headphones.

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #3,692 of 21,761
The internetz busiest music nerd's headphones

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #3,693 of 21,761
There are a lot of good headphones but if the modding community is so keen to transform the T50RP into a serious top tier contender, why not go the whole way and make it from the driver up?

I think that still more candidates are eligible, because the T50RP is in my eyes so damned ugly, that I would never wear it, no matter how good it sounds. :wink:

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #3,694 of 21,761
J-gray, honestly the FXD80 gives me tinnitus at the gym, there's too much bass.  I prefer GR07 MK2 for the gym, with Teclast X19+, awesome setup.  Now I own the Clip+ (I bought two, actually...) and don't know what to think of them.

Ask tomscy2000 about the FXD70 and FXD80.  He seemed to dislike the FXD70, then again, he sold his FXD80, so perhaps he wasn't a fan of either.

The FXD80 is a love/hate IEM, but not in a good way like EX700, just in a bad way like "this is awesome" and then "oh, tinnitus..." lol.

It's not very source transparent, either.  It's a 'fixed' IEM that sounds pretty similar from everything.

Now, I don't want to give it a hard time, I mean, it is amazing... like... how can a single driver have so much F'n sub-bass and high treble anyway?
basshead.gif
  Oh yeah and I got the special edition leather case one directly from JVC. =) =)

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #3,696 of 21,761
Quote:
  Ask tomscy2000 about the FXD70 and FXD80.

Both the FXD70 and FXD80 have too much bass. What I remembered of the FXD70 was that it felt closed in compared to the FXD80, with more mid-bass, although almost everyone else seems to report otherwise. I dunno... I sold the FXD80 because it had an annoying 9-10 kHz peak that seemed to mask everything --- I called it the "anti-veil". It was only tamed either through EQ or through foam tips, both of which aren't what I prefer using during normal use. The depth at which I preferred inserting the FXD80 also caused me ear pain, and that was the main reason why I sold it. Otherwise, just like most say, it's a very capable little thing. kiteki's thoughts are pretty much in-line with mine. Sometimes I wonder if I sold it too quickly, but I don't really "miss" it in any sense of the word. I'm well past the days of intense aural stimulation for my earphones.

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #3,697 of 21,761
I totally want to get a Makerbot and start doing this kind of stuff lol. 

As for the FXD80 / 70; I've never heard the 70 but would love to. It's a really well designed IEM, and if you don't mind a strong bass tilt it's great. I use my 80 as my default carry around IEM - it's durable and small profile enough that I can always sneak it into my pocket just in case. I'd imagine the same would apply to the 70 but with more isolation. 

The FXZ100 seems like it might sound amazing but honestly those things are huge and at that point I would just wear headphones.

I think I'm up to a point that I don't really care for that kind of thing LOL. Also I do occasionally use IEMs when I'm at my desk, so even if it doesn't lend well outside, then it will compete with the 7550 I have for more home use. Thanks though, but I still am very wary of the bass tilt. But IME, I tend to appreciate more bass tilt outside, especially when in the subway. Because the noise the trains make will just drown out the bass and only leave the razor sharp knives of treble LOL.

J-gray, honestly the FXD80 gives me tinnitus at the gym, there's too much bass.  I prefer GR07 MK2 for the gym, with Teclast X19+, awesome setup.  Now I own the Clip+ (I bought two, actually...) and don't know what to think of them.

Ask tomscy2000 about the FXD70 and FXD80.  He seemed to dislike the FXD70, then again, he sold his FXD80, so perhaps he wasn't a fan of either.

The FXD80 is a love/hate IEM, but not in a good way like EX700, just in a bad way like "this is awesome" and then "oh, tinnitus..." lol.

It's not very source transparent, either.  It's a 'fixed' IEM that sounds pretty similar from everything.

Now, I don't want to give it a hard time, I mean, it is amazing... like... how can a single driver have so much F'n sub-bass and high treble anyway? :basshead:   Oh yeah and I got the special edition leather case one directly from JVC. =) =)

I've heard the 07 mk2 back in Jaben-Malaysia, and IIRC I wrote in my notebook something like "F-ing perfect" or something. Hmm maybe I'll just save up a bit more and get a second late late bday present LOL.

The internetz busiest music nerd's headphones

That is pretty humbling, at least to me. While sure he might not be the Typical Headfier Andy, it's still quite interesting to listen to that.

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #3,698 of 21,761
I think that still more candidates are eligible, because the T50RP is in my eyes so damned ugly, that I would never wear it, no matter how good it sounds. :wink:

Reeeeally?

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #3,699 of 21,761
I've heard the 07 mk2 back in Jaben-Malaysia, and IIRC I wrote in my notebook something like "F-ing perfect" or something. Hmm maybe I'll just save up a bit more and get a second late late bday present LOL.

The perfect... spoon to eat cereal with?  Then yes.  The perfect helicopter to invade underwater cities with then no...

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #3,700 of 21,761
  Ask tomscy2000 about the FXD70 and FXD80.

Both the FXD70 and FXD80 have too much bass. What I remembered of the FXD70 was that it felt closed in compared to the FXD80, with more mid-bass, although almost everyone else seems to report otherwise. I dunno... I sold the FXD80 because it had an annoying 9-10 kHz peak that seemed to mask everything --- I called it the "anti-veil". It was only tamed either through EQ or through foam tips, both of which aren't what I prefer using during normal use. The depth at which I preferred inserting the FXD80 also caused me ear pain, and that was the main reason why I sold it. Otherwise, just like most say, it's a very capable little thing. kiteki's thoughts are pretty much in-line with mine. Sometimes I wonder if I sold it too quickly, but I don't really "miss" it in any sense of the word. I'm well past the days of intense aural stimulation for my earphones.

Actually, my latest PM to you was a little incorrect, I don't know why I wrote that I want to streamline everything (like deadlylover, he only owns a STAX SR-007, that's it...).

The FXD80 is a really, super tasty piece of candy, inserted deep.  It's delicious for 10 minutes, in the right setting.  Then I move on... ^^

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #3,702 of 21,761
Im about 12 hours late but happy birthday jgray91
I hope you had a great day.

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #3,704 of 21,761
Anthony Fantano needs to learn to edit his videos, and I don't mean the overplayed Tim & Eric glitch skit-punctuation. He prattles on waaaay too long. I guess he's giving his dedicated legion of fans enough time to rub one out. Somas and xanies make that a little difficult....

Dec 16, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #3,705 of 21,761
Hmm. Thanks. I guess I'll just save for the R07 mk2 and buy it later.

Noooooo there are more interesting IEM's for your birthday present than a GR07 MK2 (imho), why not just get the FXZ200 like you intended?  It's a pretty cool looking IEM, and ericp10 said it makes him want to cry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back