The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jun 18, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #14,701 of 21,763
Quote:

eek.gif
 I've only seen 12 out of 112 of her films... this could take a while. And definitely 
wink.gif
with pleasure.

Aha, something to look forward to.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #14,703 of 21,763
Quote:

So do the HD650's sound better to your ears now? Are the stories of them scaling up true?

redface.gif
hehe, yes.  Though they are not exactly at the top of my list, with a good amp I could imagine myself listening to them much more.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by warrenpchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nope.  I've never heard Jazz at the Pawnshop.

Twink would be most impressed. Truth told Neither have I . Really that's not a "Havent heard that IEM" line.

Outside of TwinQY complaining about it, I don't think I've even come across mentions of them.  And his remarks aren't exactly ringing endorsements...  Maybe if Muppet posts about them, I'll give it some urgency and pull it out of the "meh" cabinet.

Quote:
Quote:
I'm starting to think that he is doing it PURELY for attention.  No one agrees with him, everyone more or less wants him to ****.  And yet, he still thinks that everyone is dying hear what he has to say.  What an ego, that guy!

Well of course what puppy does'nt believe the entire world exists to love them. Even when they're peezing on the carpet
biggrin.gif

Streetdragon just told him to go to bed, wonder how he's going to react to that?

Quote:
Quote:
Okay, first off, there's some hiss in the DarkStar...
redface.gif

With the HD 650, I've got to turn it up to high noon to have it noticeably bother me.  And since the is 3 "hours" above what I would consider my max comfort volume, it's not exactly a deal breaker.  However, with low-impedance/high-sensitivity cans, it gets way worse.  With the Perfect Sound d901 (doing initial impressions on those right now), there's a constant hiss regardless of volume.  In fact, the his is even there when the DarkStar is off, which I don't understand.

ph34r.gif
 I've not heard this box. Was hoping to hear both good things and your enjoyment.

Maria Mulata...

I'll definitely need some more time with it... and I want to try some different cans as well.  But it's starting to make me kinda curious about Glenn's work.

I've not heard that track, or the album you mentioned earlier.  I'm stuck on the Cantos De Agua Dulce album.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #14,704 of 21,763

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by warrenpchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Outside of TwinQY complaining about it, I don't think I've even come across mentions of them.  And his remarks aren't exactly ringing endorsements...  Maybe if Muppet posts about them, I'll give it some urgency and pull it out of the "meh" cabinet.

So many times I've had the thing thrown at me, I think I have just developed some kind of resistance to it. I'd actually rather test equipment with stuff I listen to.

Quote:
Streetdragon just told him to go to bed, wonder how he's going to react to that?

Anxiety, distress, more soiled carpets. Is there a mod button to clean that up?

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #14,705 of 21,763
Quote:

Quote:

Anxiety, distress, more soiled carpets. Is there a mod button to clean that up?

Now that you mention it, there is!  Anyone can report any of his posts.  I have a history with the guy, so I'm VERY reluctant to do anything that looks like an abuse of power.  But should a genuine complaint come in the mod queue... well I'm duty bound at that point aren't I?

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #14,707 of 21,763
Question for TH900 owners (which I assume is Magick and Muppet, but maybe there are others here):  What is the bass response like?

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #14,708 of 21,763
I have those! 

Heavy impact, but a quick decay and low distortion that keep it from feeling slow; I generally like it!  It can become overpowering on heavy hitting amps, though (don't plug them into that Darkstar). 

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #14,709 of 21,763
Quote:
I have those! 

Heavy impact, but a quick decay and low distortion that keep it from feeling slow; I generally like it!  It can become overpowering on heavy hitting amps, though (don't plug them into that Darkstar). 

Thanks driver!  I'm wondering because I'm here doing initial impressions on the Perfect Sound dido d901 cans right now.  I've confirmed that it's using Foster's bio-cellulose drivers (so that rumor is true).  Just wanted to see how close it was to the TH900 (or even the TH600 for that matter).  If it's really close, then that's kinda big news... because then it's a cheap TH900 (or TH600) at only $800. 
eek.gif

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #14,710 of 21,763
Quote:

Thanks driver!  I'm wondering because I'm here doing initial impressions on the Perfect Sound dido d901 cans right now.  I've confirmed that it's using Foster's bio-cellulose drivers (so that rumor is true).  Just wanted to see how close it was to the TH900 (or even the TH600 for that matter).  If it's really close, then that's kinda big news... because then it's a cheap TH900 (or TH600) at only $800. 
eek.gif

Can't you get the TH600 for not much more than that? I really want to get the TH900 one of these days.

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #14,711 of 21,763
Question for TH900 owners (which I assume is Magick and Muppet, but maybe there are others here):  What is the bass response like?

Tight, fast, and natural. There's a good bit of it, but the driver is so fast that it doesn't sound muddy. Of currently shipping headphones, it's the best bass out there (of what I've heard). Top end Stax trump them in other ways, but not bass.

Absolutely don't plug them into a Darkstar, they're far too sensitive. You might kill them! :eek: (I'm being serious.)

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #14,712 of 21,763
Quote:
Can't you get the TH600 for not much more than that? I really want to get the TH900 one of these days.

Perhaps, but if these are more like the TH900, then this is a deal!  Plus, if I'm to be honest, these look a good deal more - um - modern.  Not bagging the lacquer guys (and gal), not at all.  But it lacks hipster cred (you know I'm right).

Quote:
Tight, fast, and natural. There's a good bit of it, but the driver is so fast that it doesn't sound muddy. Of currently shipping headphones, it's the best bass out there (of what I've heard). Top end Stax trump them in other ways, but not bass.

Yeah... that kinda sounds familiar.  Okay then, initial impressions below...

Quote:
Absolutely don't plug them into a Darkstar, they're far too sensitive. You might kill them!
eek.gif
(I'm being serious.)

Too late... but I made sure to pull out before it was too late.

Perfect Sound dido d901 Initial Impressions

Sub-bass response digs deep for a good sense of impact down at the bottom, though it's not as tight and clean as I would personally prefer (Doin' It Right by Daft Punk).

There is definitely a bass emphasis to these cans, a warm and reverberating bass with a helluva lot of punch (Cruel Summer by Bananarama; pretty much anything by EBTG).  The bass does tend to bloom and boom on extra bassy tracks (Wishin' and Hopin' by Ani DiFranco; Le Monde by The Thievery Corporation).  In typical tracks, the bass response adds a welcome sense of weight and presence without overdoing it (Watch What Happens by Bob Acri).

Lower mids are lacking a bit in definition due to a little bass bleed (Blue Savannah by Erasure), but are not shelved or recessed, just tonally different (City Boy by Donkeyboy).

Mids are lush and full-bodied (People Get Ready by The Impressions), with gobs of depth and textural detail (If I Only Had A Brain by Livingston Taylor; Sexual Healing by Marvin Gaye).  Great vocal presence for both male and female vocals (Bring It On Home To Me from The Commitments Soundtrack, Vol. 2; The Prayer by Jonathan & Charlotte).

Upper mids are clean and crisp with a reasonable sense of snap (On The Wing by Owl City).  Does seem to get a little thin transitioning to the highs, but I think this is a good thing as it keeps sibilance to a minimum (Honey and The Bee by Owl City).

Highs are just short of a gossamer airyness (Sonic Fairy Dust) at the top end (Yoda's Theme by John Williams); also not prematurely rolled-off (Crash Into Me by The Dave Matthews Band).  Reminiscent of a mid-point between the DT770 and DT880 (Philter by Fantastic Plastic Machine).

Detail retreival and separation - particularly in the mids - is fantastically good.  I mean REALLY GOOD. (Annabelle Lee by Sarah Jarosz; I Don't Know Why You Don't Want Me by Rosanne Cash:wink:.  Elements are rarely lost in congestion, and remain distinctly coherent without getting grainy or overly-textured (Carolyn's Fingers by Cocteau Twins).  

Staging is balanced along both axes (width and depth)... and lies just on the cusp of being in/out of head for most tracks (Wild Mountainside by The Trash Can Sinatras), which is good for a pair of closed cans.  There's even a hint of vertical-axis fidelity (What You Don't Know [Live] by Sara K.). 

Equipment used:  Centrance DACport LX, Objective 2 amplifier.

Having said all that, I AM HAVING SO MUCH FUN WITH THESE YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW.  For the past hour, I've been geeking out to pop from my youth (Bananarama, Human League, Cyndi Lauper, Eighth Wonder, etc.).  Heck, I even got all nostalgic with the slow jams thinking about puppy love (The Jets, The Deele, Breathe, Chicago, etc).  Then I went for some Baxter Robinson... His song Feel The Night is the song from The Karate Kid where Daniel and Ali are on their first date at Golf 'N Stuff.  Right now, I'm being silly as hell lip synching Hold On by Wilson Philips.

I'm supposed to start a 120-hour burn-in cycle right now.  But I kinda don't wanna take them off.

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #14,713 of 21,763
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/597682/why-do-cds-sound-better-than-loss-less-audio-files/105#post_9538133

This boob is almost as good, read the previous 2 pages, it's a riot!
biggrin.gif

Even later in the thread there are some good bits, like this....

That made me quite literally 

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #14,714 of 21,763
Quote:
Too late... but I made sure to pull out before it was too late.

I didn't realize we were discussing contraception....

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #14,715 of 21,763
Quote:
Even later in the thread there are some good bits, like this....

That made me quite literally 

lol that is awesome. I think I'm really starting to like this Julian fellow.
biggrin.gif
Usually the trolls hang out in this particular section of the forum. Who knew we'd have a troll trolling the troll :wink:...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back