The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jun 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #14,191 of 21,763
Quote:

Lay off the soy milk lady sheesh!

Man that brings back memories. Does that brand exist anymore?

That would honestly kind of suck, since you lost a weekend and you probably got pretty hyped for it too.

Well, I know my vegan friend likes to drink soy milk and introduced me to soy ice cream (which is surprisingly nice as long as you don't keep thinking "why does this not taste like ice cream"). I don't know if she consumes excessive quantities, but she seems fine. 

Honestly if soy milk produced hermaphroditic effects we would know about it. There's no suggestion that Asian populations have more intersex children than other populations as far as I know - it's obviously not DDT, thalidomide or Agent Orange.

After puberty chemical hormones tend not to have a huge effect because patterns of receptors have already been established - think about the multi pronged cocktail of drugs that is necessary for male-to-female and female-to-male transgender candidates. In male-to-female transgender therapy there needs to be a drug to block tesosterone, a drug to block DHT, administration of estrogen and progesterone. The regime of drugs is so severe that they cause kidney toxicity, heart conditions and require constant monitoring from doctors. Even then a lot of these effects are reversible if the drug regime is ended before surgery. 

Except for breast growth, which is effected by progesterone and interestingly the growth of breast tissue (gynecomastia) seems to be irreversible.

Which is the origin of this line from Fight Club - because body builders tend to wreak all kinds of havoc on their endocrine systems by doing the equivalent of trying to soup up a car engine when no one actually clearly understands how the car engine works in the first place.

Btw Lee if you are concerned about gynecomastia do not pop contraceptive pills because they are mostly progesterone. Not even if the cool kids are doing it. :D

And PSA, grapefruit juice also interacts with the endocrine system and has all kinds of interactions with medication so you are meant to tell the doctor if you drink it and are on any other kind of medication!!!

For me I started drinking soy milk when I started on a crazy bender last year to get fitter, healthier and more productive and it has seemingly worked along with all kinds of other things. I did a lot of fun reading all about it's effects and one wiki page / article led to another. :D

lmao :wink:.

I'm going to continue drinking it as I like the taste. I was just a bit worried about all these claims. Then again what doesn't give you cancer these days? :3

I just won't drink it likes it's going out of style....

Jun 13, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #14,192 of 21,763
Jun 13, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #14,193 of 21,763
Anyone here have any experience with the Ultrasone Edition 8?

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #14,194 of 21,763
Actually, to be clear, tofu is not fermented in its standard form (the white blocks we usually think of as tofu). There are fermented kinds of tofu and one of my favourite foods in the world is smelly tofu, which is a fermented tofu that used to be commonly sold by street vendors in Hong Kong. It was deep fried, served with chilli sauce and smells absolutely awful, like rotting garbage or something. It's incredibly delicious.

Nowadays when I go back to Hong Kong all the street vendors have disappeared (I think it has something to do with food safety laws) and there are only one or two shops that sell smelly tofu, I suspect because of complaints about the aroma. The places where it's still sold, it isn't very smelly anymore and it doesn't taste as good - it does seem that the smell reflects the length or strength of the fermentation I guess. Sigh.

You reminded me of being in Penang Malaysia and seeing all the signs on businesses that said "No Durian Allowed"

I always thought Durian looked kind of like punker Tribbles... :p

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #14,195 of 21,763
Quote:
Actually, to be clear, tofu is not fermented in its standard form (the white blocks we usually think of as tofu). There are fermented kinds of tofu and one of my favorite foods in the world is smelly tofu, which is a fermented tofu that used to be commonly sold by street vendors in Hong Kong. It was deep fried, served with chilli sauce and smells absolutely awful, like rotting garbage or something. It's incredibly delicious.

Nowadays when I go back to Hong Kong all the street vendors have disappeared (I think it has something to do with food safety laws) and there are only one or two shops that sell smelly tofu, I suspect because of complaints about the aroma. The places where it's still sold, it isn't very smelly anymore and it doesn't taste as good - it does seem that the smell reflects the length or strength of the fermentation I guess. Sigh.

Never tried fermented tofu before. I've heard it's some putrid crap :). I'm not a fan of Daikon so not sure if I'd carry on with this. But I do like regular tofu.

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #14,197 of 21,763
Quote:
Hey. Those are amazing fruits. But it does have a pungent, addictive smell. Urgh, just remembering it makes me want a whole fruit to crack open right now.
What's the connection between tofu and daikon, a Japanese white radish?

I'm talking about the stench of fermented Daikon :) Although I'm sure fermented tofu is noticeably more pungent. I'm not sure how to place the smell of Daikon (fart in a bottle?) lol

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #14,198 of 21,763
Quote:
Never tried fermented tofu before. I've heard it's some putrid crap :). I'm not a fan of Daikon so not sure if I'd carry on with this. But I do like regular tofu.

Quote:
What's the connection between tofu and daikon, a Japanese white radish?

Well, pickled Daikon smells awful to me. Also I think it tastes yuck too.

Smelly tofu is nice. It's hard to deep fry anything and not have it not taste great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep-fried_Mars_bar

Jun 13, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #14,199 of 21,763
Quote:

Well, pickled Daikon smells awful to me. Also I think it tastes yuck too.

Smelly tofu is nice. It's hard to deep fry anything and not have it not taste great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep-fried_Mars_bar

You got it a_recording. That's the stuff... My mom use to eat that all the time.... Would smell up the fridge! :p Although I really don't like the taste of it I think it smells much worse than it tastes.

That mars bar looks very unhealthy lol. Sausage and chocolate....
confused_face_2.gif
Kinda reminds me of eating bacon with ice-cream.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #14,200 of 21,763
You can deep-fry absolutely anything and sell it at a carnival or county fair.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/food/sns-viral-fried-pictures,0,1511251.photogallery

This one made me laugh - "Deep Fried Krispy Kreme Cheeseburgers"

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #14,202 of 21,763
Quote:
Anyone here have any experience with the Ultrasone Edition 8?

Is that a type of food?

I'm not a fan. Had three different versions over the years, and each one differed noticeably in sound from the others. Went from okay to bad to worse. Treble is too sibilant and glaring most of the time. Y-split not deep enough so the cable wears awkwardly. Leather and metals discolor with contact to the skin.

Food.

Boobs.

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #14,203 of 21,763
Quote:

Is that a type of food?

I'm not a fan. Had three different versions over the years, and each one differed noticeably in sound from the others. Went from okay to bad to worse. Treble is too sibilant and glaring most of the time. Y-split not deep enough so the cable wears awkwardly. Leather and metals discolor with contact to the skin.

Again to food... That's what happens when people can't talk about religion, politics or sex...

:p

I was actually looking into the Romeo Edition 8 but the price is still too high for an Ed 8... so pretty happy with my Signature DJ (sold the Signature Pro).

Jun 13, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #14,204 of 21,763
Food. Also some boobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back