The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
May 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #13,261 of 21,763
May 31, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #13,263 of 21,763
Thanks guys.

Oh, and CONGRATS V. Go to grad school though. It's a cold world out there for bachelors degrees.

Thanks! Luckily then, it was from grad school. :smile:

May 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #13,264 of 21,763
Thanks! Luckily then, it was from grad school. :smile:

So - what now? Sorry - if you have already explained the plan, then feel free to just point me to the post. Were you working and going to grad school, or in school full-time and now you will be entering the workforce? It took me 7 years to get an MBA while working full-time. On the Monday after graduation I started a new job! :D

May 31, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #13,265 of 21,763
Quote:
I swear to God that I'm not shilling for Penny Arcade. One of the artist there is very pleased with the Surface Pro. And IIRC he did use SBP. http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/02/25/the-ms-surface-pro

Awesome write-up, thanks. That was indeed all done in SBP. 

May 31, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #13,266 of 21,763
Quote:
Chicken & egg. People demand lower purchase prices. They rarely consider TCO over the long term. One manufacturer achieves a lower price by limiting the product life...

You may have misunderstood what I was saying.  It's the consumers with a short term view that are the problem, not as much the manufacturers meeting the demand.  So I think we're in agreement.

May 31, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #13,267 of 21,763
You may have misunderstood what I was saying.  It's the consumers with a short term view that are the problem, not as much the manufacturers meeting the demand.  So I think we're in agreement.

:beerchug:

May 31, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #13,268 of 21,763
Not cavernous IMO. Open, though more deep than wide. 490 USD +70 shipping to the US (I am in the US right now).

Why is it so expensive to ship from Europe and so cheap out of Japan?

So - what now? Sorry - if you have already explained the plan, then feel free to just point me to the post. Were you working and going to grad school, or in school full-time and now you will be entering the workforce? It took me 7 years to get an MBA while working full-time. On the Monday after graduation I started a new job! :D

I never posted any details, just a joke in the YKYAAW thread relating to it. Then warren outed me here lol. I worked part-time and did some freelance consulting during and my school schedule varied from full to part-time. I accepted an offer to start my "career" this coming fall.

Congrats on doing an MBA while working full-time btw. That takes a lot of determination and resolve just from a durational standpoint, knowing what you will need to put in for that long before seeing a ROI. Not that education isn't it's own reward. :D

May 31, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #13,270 of 21,763
Why is it so expensive to ship from Europe and so cheap out of Japan?
I never posted any details, just a joke in the YKYAAW thread relating to it. Then warren outed me here lol. I worked part-time and did some freelance consulting during and my school schedule varied from full to part-time. I accepted an offer to start my "career" this coming fall.

Congrats on doing an MBA while working full-time btw. That takes a lot of determination and resolve just from a durational standpoint, knowing what you will need to put in for that long before seeing a ROI. Not that education isn't it's own reward. :D

Congrats - enjoy your summer and then get to work! The gov't needs the tax dollars... :p

May 31, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #13,271 of 21,763
Congrats vwinter! 
thumbsup.gif

May 31, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #13,272 of 21,763
Thanks all!

^Awesome! Time to make real money and buy moar gear.

Yeaaaaa... I know a certain someone that is trying to head that one off at the pass and build an obstacle coarse lol. And seeing as how I'll be working long hours, I'd rather not poke that active volcano with a stick all too soon.

Congrats - enjoy your summer and then get to work! The gov't needs the tax dollars... :p

This is exactly why I decided to go to grad school.

Congrats vwinter! 
thumbsup.gif

May 31, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #13,273 of 21,763
Quote:

Maybe.  But the current rampant consumerism is directing the economic growth to places like Walmart and credit card companies.  It's also encouraging manufacturers to make disposable products.  Back maybe 60 years ago, many of the items people bought such as appliances, furniture, cars, etc. were designed and expected to last decades.  Now things are designed to last a couple of years and be thrown away and replaced.

That is not entirely true. If you look at the automotive industry cars have gained immensely in lifespan. New engine technology and galvanized body panels make for longevity in the vehicle. In the 70's or 80's 100,000 miles was an anomaly, now it's just break in mileage.

Next time you are out at a store take a look at a BIC lighter. Look at the quality of build on that disposable little item. It is actually quite phenomenal. They refill them in south america and only when the flint wears out do they become unusable. We have a product there built to last for years which is intended to be thrown away in 8 weeks.

We are really askew in our value systems here.
Quote:
I wasn't aware that you were going to use it, I'll switch back to PTM.

May I respectfully suggest..........

I thought the driving goggles were somehow apropo
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back