The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Mar 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #9,211 of 21,763
Quote:

Advertisements for cars, watches, and other genuine status/luxury items never say "We're the best". Only wannabes and the desperate use language like that. Joe's Luxury Watch Deluxe, Inc., would say "We're the best!", but Patek Philippe never will.

Yes, and that is the most irritating thing about their tactics right now.  True superiority is recognized, not conveyed. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #9,212 of 21,763
Quote:
Curiously, JPS isn't selling the Abyss directly as far as I'm aware. The entire production run seems to be going to third party vendors, and they've emphasized pre-ordering with these vendors (who, specifically, I still don't know). Ideally one could audition the Abyss through the third-party retailer before buying it, but again this isn't the same as a true preview. By that point the official launch will have commenced and pre-orders will have been filled. It just strikes me as a little bit odd, because I'm thinking they could have lowered the cost of the Abyss quite a bit had they sold direct. Vendors want a cut: sometimes up to fifty percent! Then again it's not that odd I guess, because most of the sales of the Abyss will probably be overseas to folks in Asia where there's a more of a market for expensive flagship headphones these days. This way JPS doesn't have to deal with overseas sales themselves.

Actually, this is very telling.  As I know a bit about the distribution game, I'd like to chime in here.  There are generally two reasons why a manufacturer would want to seek third-party distribution. 

Scenario 1 is where they anticipate demand being great, and thus believe that they cannot reach end users adequately via their current infrastructure.  So they contract with a distributor to help them do this.  Since this scenario is typically for mass produced products of great quantity, let's rule this out for JPS. 

Scenario 2 involves the manufacturer not being confident of selling the products at all - at least not to the end user.  So they instead sell to a distributor or retailer and wash their hands of the whole affair.  In this scenario, it really doesn't matter what the end use thinks, because the end user is not JPS's customer, the distribution house (or retailer network) is.

So yes, they could very well have reduced the final retail price by at least 50% (as there wouldn't be any retailer demanding 50 points from them).  BUT, then they would run the risk of getting stuck with inventory.  Now, if you were confident of your product, confident enough to proclaim them the finest in some ridiculous world of arbitrary absolutes, would you be afraid of holding onto inventory? 

Something stinks here.

Quote:
Quote:
Wait, I'm confused now... Mupps turned them down?

Maybe "was declined" would make more grammatical sense? I got the feel that she asked to review one but JPS don't wanna.

Ah, I see.  Refusing to undergo scrutiny is a good sign that someone is full of ****.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #9,213 of 21,763
Quote:

Actually, this is very telling.  As I know a bit about the distribution game, I'd like to chime in here.  There are generally two reasons why a manufacturer would want to seek third-party distribution. 

Scenario 1 is where they anticipate demand being great, and thus believe that they cannot reach end users adequately via their current infrastructure.  So they contract with a distributor to help them do this.  Since this scenario is typically for mass produced products of great quantity, let's rule this out for JPS. 

Scenario 2 involves the manufacturer not being confident of selling the products at all - at least not to the end user.  So they instead sell to a distributor or retailer and wash their hands of the whole affair.  In this scenario, it really doesn't matter what the end use thinks, because the end user is not JPS's customer, the distribution house (or retailer network) is.

So yes, they could very well have reduced the final retail price by at least 50% (as there wouldn't be any retailer demanding 50 points from them).  BUT, then they would run the risk of getting stuck with inventory.  Now, if you were confident of your product, confident enough to proclaim them the finest in some ridiculous world of arbitrary absolutes, would you be afraid of holding onto inventory? 

Something stinks here.

That's a possibility. I also have a feeling that they're counting on the majority of their sales to be in Asia, so I'd say scenario 1 isn't out of the question. Obviously this is all just speculation, but I do know of several other small vendors with high-price boutique items who are turning to global distribution because of the Asian market. There's just a bigger niche for super expensive amps, DACs, and headphones there. Western Europe too. So this stuff that is already really expensive only ends up costing more and more.

I have a feeling JPS knew from the outset what they wanted to do: make a bloody expensive headphone to sell to Asian businessmen who think nothing of dropping thousands on vintage tube quads and audiophile glass CDs. JPS is a cable vendor after all, so this was sort of an important market for them from the outset.

Just smacks too much of "audiophiles will buy anything, so let's make a $6k headphone! We'll figure out the details later"

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #9,214 of 21,763
That is just so wrong.  I mean, I'm not even in their target demographic, but I still find that patently offensive.

If I'm to be honest, there are days when I'm envious of you guys up there in summit-fi.  But when crap like this happens... let's just say that I can see some of the incredible BS you guys must deal with on occasion.

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #9,216 of 21,763
I know it was a joke, but the "five dollar fier" thing is really fun to me. I wonder if there is some sleeper godlike IEM/headphone for under $100 that competes with far higher priced headphones.

As a fairly unexperienced head fier I don't really know the quantifiable differences between a $25, $50, $100, $400, $800, $1500 headphone. I've tried a couple from every bracket but couldn't tell you why I liked one more than the other.

Mar 28, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #9,217 of 21,763
Quote:
I know it was a joke, but the "five dollar fier" thing is really fun to me. I wonder if there is some sleeper godlike IEM/headphone for under $100 that competes with far higher priced headphones.

As a fairly unexperienced head fier I don't really know the quantifiable differences between a $25, $50, $100, $400, $800, $1500 headphone. I've tried a couple from every bracket but couldn't tell you why I liked one more than the other.

This headphone has long been around.

Read!: http://www.head-fi.org/t/223263/the-stax-thread-new/21180#post_9206469

Mar 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #9,218 of 21,763
I stopped taking JPS seriously when I saw their early test headphone looked like something Spiderman would wear. Seriously, companies that act as ignorant and arrogant as JPS should just be ignored and only mentioned when they fall flat on their faces, which inevitably they do. I think JPS is going for a cash grab and little else. Price some mediocre headphone sky high and walk away with the cash as some richly rich displays it to all his richly rich friends. Yeah ok, I guess I have become cynical towards some of the over hyped boutique gear.

Mar 28, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #9,221 of 21,763
Well I sent a email out to JPS today got this hours later

Hi Andre,

Thanks for your offer for review. All review samples are already spoken for into the Fall of this year.

Take care… Joe

Looks like we might see some reviews on head-fi soon. Or not. Who knows

Mar 28, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #9,222 of 21,763
Damn my 5 dollar speaker is really picky, looks like I need a Proper Dac and Some nice sounding Flac files 
size]
 Its probably the most picky audio equipment in my house 
size]
 But it does sound nice with strings  
size]

Mar 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #9,224 of 21,763
Finished Infinite at 4 AM last night. I pieced together the ending in the last 2-3 hours after stopping to evaluate all of the info I had on hand. Helps that I envisioned a very similar story to Infinite's for a forum VN project as well. It did little to diminish my enjoyment of it however. I admire Levine's stones for deciding to conclude the game in a fashion that would likely be off-putting to the dudebro demographic that 2K are flirting with. The story is elegantly delivered and chock full of very clever details and exchanges that serve as foreshadowing. Some of the imagery is forever seared into my brained, it's so good, and my first inclination upon seeing the credits roll was to load it all back up again for a second go around. That's the rarest complement I can pay a game because I've only ever played a select handful of games (their SP campaign anyhow) more than once.

It's not a perfect game for a second, nor does it do achieve anything revolutionary with its core mechanics, but what it does for me, as a whole, from its resonant themes, to moments of quietude between Booker and Liz, elevates it beyond the vast majority of titles. It's absolutely in my list of favorite games for those reasons

Mar 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #9,225 of 21,763
Quote:
Finished Infinite at 4 AM last night. I pieced together the ending in the last 2-3 hours after stopping to evaluate all of the info I had on hand. Helps that I envisioned a very similar story to Infinite's for a forum VN project as well. It did little to diminish my enjoyment of it however. I admire Levine's stones for deciding to conclude the game in a fashion that would likely be off-putting to the dudebro demographic that 2K are flirting with. The story is elegantly delivered and chock full of very clever details and exchanges that serve as foreshadowing. Some of the imagery is forever seared into my brained, it's so good, and my first inclination upon seeing the credits roll was to load it all back up again for a second go around. That's the rarest complement I can pay a game because I've only ever played a select handful of games (their SP campaign anyhow) more than once.

It's not a perfect game for a second, nor does it do achieve anything revolutionary with its core mechanics, but what it does for me, as a whole, from its resonant themes, to moments of quietude between Booker and Liz, elevates it beyond the vast majority of titles. It's absolutely in my list of favorite games for those reasons

Pretty much spot on with what I felt. It's probably my game of the quarter  pushing out the Tomb Raider reboot(which was excellent, but I felt they should have made more of the survival and puzzle elements). I'm trying a 1999 mode run now and finishing up the achievements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back