The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Feb 17, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #6,196 of 21,763
Quote:
Hey a_recording it's good to see you on thread again welcome back.

Hehe thanks. I've just been so busy with work and trying not to get too distracted. Hope everyone is well and enjoying their new year :3

Feb 18, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #6,198 of 21,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I personally find the K550 a wholly unpleasant listen and it costs several hundred bucks.

Would you mind briefly describing what you find unpleasant about the K550?  Curious as I've been considering getting a pair of them.  Sorry if this has been covered before here.

I do find it a bit interesting, the gearhead vs. music lover thing.   But ultimately it's not so much a dichotomy as just a spectrum that everybody will find themselves somewhere on.  As much as I like cool gadgets, for me it's mostly a means to an end, that being enhanced enjoyment of music.  I must admit that it'd be hard for me to understand someone being into music gear without being a music lover.  I wouldn't really see the point.  But I'm sure that 95% of people on this site are at least somewhat both music lovers and gearheads, the degree of each is what varies a lot.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #6,199 of 21,763
Quote:

Hehe thanks. I've just been so busy with work and trying not to get too distracted. Hope everyone is well and enjoying their new year :3

Hey a_rec, nice to see you in this neck of the woods again.

Quote:

Would you mind briefly describing what you find unpleasant about the K550?  Curious as I've been considering getting a pair of them.  Sorry if this has been covered before here.

The biggest turnoff for me are the thin, metallic mids and wonky treble. So in short: too unnatural and too uneven. It's one of the headphones I liked least last year (along with the ASG-1, HD700, and D7100).

Apparently some units are worse than others. Seems like I'm typing that a lot lately, as it's kind of one of those catch-alls for discrepancies in listening impressions. In this case some folks with really good ears I know tried two different sets, and one of the sets was definitely worse than the other. I think one of those individuals posted some helpful mods for it.

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #6,200 of 21,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey a_rec, nice to see you in this neck of the woods again.

*salutes*

This is probably been asked but I'm not game to read 1200 unread posts... (!) so where is the new avatar from? :3

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #6,201 of 21,763
Quote:

*salutes*

This is probably been asked but I'm not game to read 1200 unread posts... (!) so where is the new avatar from? :3

Not from anything in particular as far as I'm aware. It's by an online artist named Peter Meldgaard aka "Pod."

Feb 18, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #6,202 of 21,763
Not from anything in particular as far as I'm aware. It's by an online artist named Peter Meldgaard aka "Pod."

LOL a_rec brought up a good point: you kept praising my avatar and I forgot to ask about yours. It's certainly quite catchy, and for whatever reason, the first time I see it here it's "yep that's MF".

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #6,205 of 21,763
Okay, so I've tried to gather together a sort of a sum up of the project Team Diary Mixtape.

1. Textually with youtube links, this is by far the easiest way of making this happen. Those willing to engage in this project, will just just type the title, artist and a youtube link.
  2. Write something about the song: what you feel, or why this song, or something about the artist, or basically whatever

I also had an idea, instead of doing it based on genres, why not do it based on something a little more abstract. It could be emotions, i.e. if the theme is happiness, then submit whatever you associate with happiness or something that is linked to happiness and so on. I think that would make the debate-/discussion-type part even more interesting to read. Examples could be emotions, shapes, eras, colors, instruments, genders, or just a word? What say you?

Feb 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #6,207 of 21,763
Quote:
Okay, so I've tried to gather together a sort of a sum up of the project Team Diary Mixtape.

1. Textually with youtube links, this is by far the easiest way of making this happen. Those willing to engage in this project, will just just type the title, artist and a youtube link.
  2. Write something about the song: what you feel, or why this song, or something about the artist, or basically whatever

I also had an idea, instead of doing it based on genres, why not do it based on something a little more abstract. It could be emotions, i.e. if the theme is happiness, then submit whatever you associate with happiness or something that is linked to happiness and so on. I think that would make the debate-/discussion-type part even more interesting to read. Examples could be emotions, shapes, eras, colors, instruments, genders, or just a word? What say you?

Mixtapes work best when done based on a larger theme. So for instance, "summer time" or "your first date" or something like that. Genres are too broad unless we're talking about a really specific subgenre like early 80s coldwave or something.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #6,210 of 21,763
Quote:
I do find it a bit interesting, the gearhead vs. music lover thing.   But ultimately it's not so much a dichotomy as just a spectrum that everybody will find themselves somewhere on.  As much as I like cool gadgets, for me it's mostly a means to an end, that being enhanced enjoyment of music.  I must admit that it'd be hard for me to understand someone being into music gear without being a music lover.  I wouldn't really see the point.  But I'm sure that 95% of people on this site are at least somewhat both music lovers and gearheads, the degree of each is what varies a lot.

Elaborating on what I wrote yesterday: It's not a one-or-the-other thing, they're complementary hobbies. I like gadgets generally, and I like music generally, so of course I'm going to like music gadgets. I'm not going to avoid talking about audio hardware for fear it will distract me from music appreciation.

If anything, having a lifelong fascination with both music and gadgets is complementary. Being able to appreciate how the voicing and technology of a given system affects how I perceive the music has affected how I enjoy music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back