The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 24, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #4,036 of 21,763
Dec 24, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #4,037 of 21,763
Dec 24, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #4,038 of 21,763
Out of idle curiosity: What's good in Android-based portable music these days? I'm kind of split between getting something cheap to hack and poke at, or getting something not-quite-as-cheap and tablet-sized that I can whack a lot of storage into (>500 GB) and treat as my home-system-away-from-home.

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #4,040 of 21,763
Stay away from the buggy and underpowered Cowon Android players.
The Samsung Galaxy players are a mixed bag.....the 5.0 doesn't sound that good, but the 4.0 and I believe also the 4.2 have the Wolfson chip and can be hacked to have the Voodoo kernel, which is supposedly the cat's behind in sound. My Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus sounds better than the 5.0, but I would still rate it slightly below a Rockboxed Clip+/Clip Zip.

I think MF probably has the best suggestion, with the Sony players....unless you want to deal with the whole USB out to DAC rigmarole, which is really hit and miss with the different Android devices.

Dec 24, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #4,041 of 21,763
No strong opinions about Sony players either way. Lots of respect for Sony, never really loved minidisc, but that's not relevant here, is it?

I have an iPod with a 120 GB SSD and Rockbox and feel like I've got happy balance of portability and scale and sound quality already. So now I'm thinking about next steps: Either getting another iPod Video and trying the RWA mod, or experimenting with an Android tablet or somesuch. I'd do all of the above if I had the time.

I haven't got any real ideas of what I'm doing yet; more curious about what's in the world that I don't know as much about.

(Unrelated; found when I was looking up things: When did Newegg add the "First From Asia" section to their site? Did they feel like they were losing business to DealExtreme and other direct importers? And why is it mostly housewares rather than electronics?)

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #4,042 of 21,763
Stay away from the buggy and underpowered Cowon Android players.
The Samsung Galaxy players are a mixed bag.....the 5.0 doesn't sound that good, but the 4.0 and I believe also the 4.2 have the Wolfson chip and can be hacked to have the Voodoo kernel, which is supposedly the cat's behind in sound. My Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus sounds better than the 5.0, but I would still rate it slightly below a Rockboxed Clip+/Clip Zip.

I think MF probably has the best suggestion, with the Sony players....unless you want to deal with the whole USB out to DAC rigmarole, which is really hit and miss with the different Android devices.

I'm digging the iP4S + Vamp, it's a bad-a** combo. Hook it up to the optical input in the car, and away we go.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #4,043 of 21,763
If you're thinking of the Nexuses tablet, esp. the 7, and you want storage, IMO skip them. Albeit quite high quality all around for the price it commands, the no-expandable-storage is a no-go for that criteria alone. Too bad though, since so far that I've owned mine, it work wonders into my life apparently, from music to school-related stuff. I think the Nexus 7 needs to be rooted to use any USB DACs? I'm not too sure about that but there's not a sight of any dock accessories whatsoever, even though it has a dock connector of some sort (and it's a different connector from its bigger brother Nexus 10. Oh Google *shrug*)

I guess if you're not too mindful of lugging a USB OTG cable, a pocket HDD and your choice of external DAC/amp (input into the combo via the headphone out of the Nexus 7), then it maybe a good choice. Probably.

That's the extend of my Android usage knowledge though, as before all I got are from reviews and other sources.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #4,044 of 21,763
Hm. Another thought: I have a Hackintoshed netbook sitting idle, I suppose I could keep that in my desk at work and control it from my phone or iPad. Aside from the Rube Goldbergness of it, this isn't a bad idea, as long as the fan isn't noisy.

(Edit: If we had ham, we could have ham and eggs, if we had eggs.)

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #4,045 of 21,763
Hm. Another thought: I have a Hackintoshed netbook sitting idle, I suppose I could keep that in my desk at work and control it from my phone or iPad. Aside from the Rube Goldbergness of it, this isn't a bad idea, as long as the fan isn't noisy.

I do that all the time using Splashtop and my iPad, it's quite slick and effective. With a stylus, it's near-perfect.

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #4,048 of 21,763
There are optional things you can get with Splashtop, but the basic package does a lot. It's cheap too, I think $5.

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #4,049 of 21,763
Some awesome impressions and pictures of the IE800 from James444: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/642528/review-sennheiser-ie800-appreciation-frustration-and-a-bunch-of-what-ifs#post_8984558

Also some interesting news from VSONIC :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/602091/vsonic-gr08-info-expectations-thread/585#post_8981610

Apparently the GR08 is going to be renamed the V7007 which is obviously meant to invoke the K3003. Their CEO makes some pretty bold claims about the K3003, going so far as to call it out on being flawed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back