The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 23, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #4,023 of 21,763
Christmas is going to be awkward and terrible for me this year.  I've been pretty distant from my family over the past 6 months and this year my father and grandmother are going to have dinner with my mother, her mother, whom she met less than a year ago, my mom's crazy aunt, and me.  My mom has nothing in common with dad or grandma, no one seems to have anything in common with mom's mom except how terrible their family was (I wouldn't know as they all died or excommunicated my mother when I was small), and my crazy great aunt is crazy.  Like, she's ridiculously arthritic but will start crawling around on the floor in incredible pain looking for things mom's cat could, hypothetically, eat just to start a fuss over it.  Luckily for me I live in a 3rd floor apartment she's literally incapable of visiting because this place is a ******* sty.

Meanwhile relatives of mine in DC really want me to go out there for some reason but I have absolutely no desire to do so.  Their desire, however, seems genuine enough for me to feel like a complete dick for avoiding it.  I love and respect all of these people (except maybe mom's mom, who I barely know), but I really just want to be left alone for a few weeks.  If it were up to me I'd just mail all my gifts and not bother accepting anything from anyone because I don't particularly want anything but headphone stuff. 

I really can't imagine having a big connected family the likes of which my hispanic and asian friends have.  I can count the number of family members I have anything to do with at all (since some disowned my mother and me by association) on my hands and I feel smothered more often than not.

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #4,024 of 21,763
Quote:
Christmas is going to be awkward and terrible for me this year.  I've been pretty distant from my family over the past 6 months and this year my father and grandmother are going to have dinner with my mother, her mother, whom she met less than a year ago, my mom's crazy aunt, and me.  My mom has nothing in common with dad or grandma, no one seems to have anything in common with mom's mom except how terrible their family was (I wouldn't know as they all died or excommunicated my mother when I was small), and my crazy great aunt is crazy.  Like, she's ridiculously arthritic but will start crawling around on the floor in incredible pain looking for things mom's cat could, hypothetically, eat just to start a fuss over it.  Luckily for me I live in a 3rd floor apartment she's literally incapable of visiting because this place is a ******* sty.

Meanwhile relatives of mine in DC really want me to go out there for some reason but I have absolutely no desire to do so.  Their desire, however, seems genuine enough for me to feel like a complete dick for avoiding it.  I love and respect all of these people (except maybe mom's mom, who I barely know), but I really just want to be left alone for a few weeks.  If it were up to me I'd just mail all my gifts and not bother accepting anything from anyone because I don't particularly want anything but headphone stuff. 

I really can't imagine having a big connected family the likes of which my hispanic and asian friends have.  I can count the number of family members I have anything to do with at all (since some disowned my mother and me by association) on my hands and I feel smothered more often than not.

If my family knew the $$ I spent on audiophilia, I'd get a broomstick under the Christmas tree and probably disown me.

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #4,025 of 21,763
My mom knows because I know she won't care on account of being high all the time/a generally lax person, but no one else is quite aware.

HP-P1 -> Paradox is a nice portable combo that sounds more coherent than any other amp/fullsized headphone pairing I'd take outside (I'm mainly dissing my Ultrasones here, but I still like them for what they are).

Dec 23, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #4,026 of 21,763
Checked your router?

Trust me, first thing I did was mess with router settings and reboot it several times.

Yeah, Comcast has been less than terrific for me too but there's nothing else even approaching quality around here.

I got really tempered with them the last time it was flaking and nothing's happened since. Most likely a coincidence, but...

I know. Worst part? I live 5 minutes from Mountain View city lines. Hint: That's where google is, and they get not only Google Fiber, but also Google WiFi everywhere in their city. Minutes away, Stanford gets Google Fiber as well. I am stuck inbetween. With Comcast. Not even Verizon Fios.

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #4,028 of 21,763
Quote:
Trust me, first thing I did was mess with router settings and reboot it several times.

Even if you rebooted it and messed with the settings, it may be faulty as I have learnt from my own numerous personal experiences. I have a speed of 45 mbps, but with the faulty router it went down to 15 mb and my other computers in the network weren't able to connect. Only way to be sure its not the router, plugin the LAN cable from the modem to your computer directly and see how that goes.

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #4,030 of 21,763
Quote:
A great website to get spyware bundled with that screensaver

Oh, if you do a Google search there's a couple of sites with instructions that shows you how to remove the bloatware. Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I also think there's a download site somewhere that has the program bloatware neutered.

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #4,031 of 21,763
Oh dear, it seems I am stirring up interest in the Flat4.

I think they're pretty neat-o.

Quote:
What a diary 
smiley_thumb.gif
 entry! Love the colors on display...

Thank you. I try to make them at least semi-interesting. Whether or not they actually succeed, I have fun making them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back