The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Dec 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #3,151 of 21,761
Quote:
HERE you go, the one with the artsy splash design is pretty expensive. Don't know if I'd pay 85 bones extra for a slightly nicer paint job on a amp

Thanks!

It's worth it to me, if only because it reminds me of Wayne Coyne's art (esp. from Zaireeka and Mystics) and would look ballin' with my Flat-4s and Heaven VI.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #3,153 of 21,761
I see Romy has reverted to her truer self, a pale-skinned underwater girl with giant pink tentacles, lucscious flowing hair in deep violet, light crimson eyes looking up at the world in silent disdain, her porcelain heart exploring the ocean to quell her thirst for the unknown.

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #3,156 of 21,761

Apparently runs on a pair of AA batteries for only 12 hours or so. I'd have to dredge up some spare sets of lithium batteries and remember to keep them charged. /

(Edit:  Sorry for the long post not directed at you just felt like writing randomnezz)

I'm mostly interested in it since it's all made in Japan / Kanazawa and I love the look of it, I like their choice of name too, and naturally the suspense or thirst of wanting to hear various expensive amplifiers and the unique synergy they create with a transducer.  Apart from the looks, you know if Romy paired the ORB Jade with her Final Audio Heaven VI it'd create a sound which is 'alone in the universe', except, it's not, since it already existed before you heard it, it's not like you 'created it', since anyone else could have heard the exact same sound at any other point in time in the past, so, in essence the battery life isn't important if you unlocked the door to the secret sapphires, you know. ^^

Yes, on the flipside, sound is all about accuracy and transparency, so what's up with all this coloured Sino-Italian junk?  I don't know, is it really?, that just seems like an intuitive error to me.  Is the ultimate sound system like a passive, transparent piece of glass in a window?, or is it like an active piece of glass with a receptor on one side and transmitter on the other, revealing more detail to us than what was visible with the naked eye?, then adding slight deviances like a blue tint or sharpness is ok too (especially if the transducers have a typical unnatural red tint or smoothness inherent to them, to counter-balance).

Anyway, I'm not sure how all the electronics work to achieve the end result in sound (and neither are half of the EE's I've seen, either) but chasing low numbers in the lab equipment (like 0.0000x% THD), or high numbers (whatever gigahertz per nanosecond), and electrical theory (like how Black Gate capacitors work, whatever they are, and concepts like, say... symmetry, which make sense even if it's not visible) tend to result in pretty good sound, in one way or the next.

Then the flipside to that is the human mind only hears what it expects to hear, constantly.  So, like, someone hears an amplifier sounding the same way every night for a year, then one day they put a towel on it and suddenly hear it's 'real sound', I don't know, that sounds pretty spooky to me, maybe put it in a horror movie.

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #3,158 of 21,761
Quote:

My brief description does make him sound like a sort of Ayn Rand groupie, but his writing is actually a bit more nuanced. (Much like Hayek's). He does argue that the principle of antifragility means that having a strategy of 90% risk aversion / redundancy / stability and 10% exposure to high risk seem like a good idea. ie: The human body is stimulated by the extremes at 10% and recovers for the remaining 90%, or; let's nationalise all the banks and deregulate all the hedge funds! (I'm pretty sure this would offend almost everyone on both ends of the free market spectrum).

He also argues strongly for ethics, a celebration of failure and for people having a responsibility for their own failures rather than offloading their damages onto third parties through lobbysists and legal maneuvering.  So it's not so much anarcho-capitalism as it immediately sounds (much like how Hayek is misintepreted at times).

I always feel like if I wasn't doing my art degree, I'd do economics, which I only discovered an interest in in the past two years or so. This makes me feel a little oddly out of place.

Yeah, after the recent financial crises the leftist ideas of the likes as Hyman Minsky were brought to public with a strong attitude to regulate leissez-faire capitalism. Probably Taleb is trying to compensate the trend towards the left wing advocating some % of healthy risk exposure ( maybe I'm wrong). 

Anyways I think that Nassim Taleb's works are rather purely economical which are of smaller interest to broader public. I like that he appreciates the Austrian school of economics which makes it more approachable by humanitarians. 

Dec 8, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #3,159 of 21,761
There is a reason why talk about ABX tests is not permitted in sections of this forum :3

What is the reason 4 that?

@ kiteki

Silent One 
mad.gif
 in silent protest.

Soz m8.

There's probably a lot of things in my childhood that have planted those seeds...I'm generally enamoured with the idea of decay, failure, and explosive growth. I like to keep a balance, but I seem to keep a balance by dabbling in the extremes lol.

Speaking of which, I've been reading the recent book by Nassim Taleb about antifragility, after getting interested in his ideas from an interview he did on a podcast I listen to: http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2012/01/taleb_on_antifr.html

It's a tremendously powerful idea; that attempts to predict and smooth over risk are counter productive, because they allow systemic problems to build up unseen until one giant 'black swan' event wipes out the entire field. He points out that nature tends to use volatility to improve and grow, and in particular use small damages and setbacks as information about the environment.

ie:
Bones and muscles compensate for occasional stress by getting stronger. Letting the bones relax in a space station makes them atrophy. People tend to get health problems after entering retirement because they sit around and do nothing all day after one 'round the world' holiday. Catastrophic forest fires can be avoided by having smaller scale fires to prevent the brush from building up. 

The more controversial aspects of his thesis are therefore that centralised government and top down economics tend to be like firemen running around putting out all the fires before they start, which means that regulated societies tend to be exposed to risks of very large events that cannot be forseen by looking at precedents (ie: Fukushima, GFC).

There are more nuances to his arguments than I am making here, but it's a really interesting framework to look at things in terms of risk / redundancy as opposed to efficiency / growth. And Taleb is an interesting academic, considering that he is also a former financier who put his own skin in the game and made good money during events like the financial crisis.

I think I caught the jist of it, sortof... humans in space stations can't walk when they get home, so... societies in perfect tranquility will fall apart when they're invaded by a few petty knife-gangs, so his point is to 'exercize' even when you don't need to, I suppose, and then extrapolated a whole lot on that, or smt?

First non-female avatar, y not.

"People are going to start asking you if you had a sex change now :3"

I'm just Nozomi with some minor jaw, chin, throat and cheekbone implants, with a baseball cap, wider shoulder-blades and a chest like steel, instead of pillows.  What's the difference (apart from what I just wrote, lol)

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #3,162 of 21,761
Quote:
I see Romy has reverted to her truer self, a pale-skinned underwater girl with giant pink tentacles, lucscious flowing hair in deep violet, light crimson eyes looking up at the world in silent disdain, her porcelain heart exploring the ocean to quell her thirst for the unknown.

What a lovely description. That should occupy the "about me" section of my profile, only I don't think it would fit.

Quote:

I have some shoes those would work with nicely.

Dec 8, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #3,163 of 21,761
Hmmm, hold on a sec, is Ocharaku actually tuning the Audio Technica ATH-CKM55 in 9 different flavours?  Isn't that the IEM which received a lot of hype-da-hype around here?  I almost picked one up but Tomscy2k advised me not to. =]

Since I have a severe lack of Audio Technica IEM's I ordered the CKM33 recently, however.  It should arrive any day now.

Dec 8, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #3,164 of 21,761
Originally Posted by MuppetFace /img/forum/go_quote.gif

/
/

I haven't had a chance to listen to the NAD M51 yet, but it's been getting a lot of praise from some folks I respect, and based on gauging my preferences compared to theirs it's still at the top of my list.

I've had the NAD M51 on my mind for a while too... Idk... honestly I think it's just the 900 Kilohertz PWM whatever tech, and the use of the LME49990 chip which has me interested, since that tells me it has (rather, could have), something 'different' to offer us, like, as in... it's not 'just another Pioneer receiver', you know, I suppose?

On that note, the stereophile measurements [ya ya, I don't like stereophile-type sites, neither measurements] show this:

712NADfig01.jpg

"Fig.1 NAD M51, impulse response (4ms time window)."

Mhmm, this immediately makes me think of the Bladelius DAC, the Fostex HP-A8, and the new KORG DS-10-DAC.

For these reasons...

usb-dac3.jpg

(the above is taken from Bladelius)

Next...

1350300_m.jpg

Now if this is 'within human perception' or not I just don't think we're at all sophisticated enough to answer, so my defaults are, pretty much 'yes, most likely' or 'I need to hear it'.

A quote from a crime novel about our sub-conscious comes to mind which I'll try to find later.

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #3,165 of 21,761
I'm a little confused, and excited, this is, What... there is a high-end audio show here (in Jakarta) from 10 AM to 10 PM on the 9th of December, it's now 3 AM.

They'll even have the Final Audio Muramasa VIII there, apparently... I don't what to say, for real?

Link - http://www.iheac.com/news.asp?id=406

Iklan%20web.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back