The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Feb 21, 2014 at 5:35 AM Post #20,986 of 21,763
  And then the silence came...
ph34r.gif

Either it went well and he's so ecstatic he's forgotten to tell us what happened, it didn't go so well and he's too dejected to talk about it yet, he doesn't know and wants to wait until he's sure before he says anything, he's fallen asleep, or he's accidentally stepped into an alternate dimension and will never be heard from again, thus making whichever of the first four possibilities it is moot.

Also, I see what you did there with that pun.

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #20,988 of 21,763
Back from adulting. That was kind of daunting. More so because I've been too long since I graduated that my lessons are too hazy lol. Good thing that this is the 1st round and focused more on personality. God's willing I get the 2nd round, but I think that would need deus ex machina for me to pass... it requires *gasp* technical knowledge that I hardly was taught back in the day.

On the other hand, my friend back in the day just called me as I came out the interview, and said the place he works at is looking for people, of the same qualification as him (and me). Here's me wishing that it's also more personality based and less technical, but then again, I have my friend to help around this time.

Life's looking bright it seems. Always have been a bit too gloomy lately. :D

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #20,990 of 21,763
Back from adulting. That was kind of daunting. More so because I've been too long since I graduated that my lessons are too hazy lol. Good thing that this is the 1st round and focused more on personality. God's willing I get the 2nd round, but I think that would need deus ex machina for me to pass... it requires *gasp* technical knowledge that I hardly was taught back in the day.

On the other hand, my friend back in the day just called me as I came out the interview, and said the place he works at is looking for people, of the same qualification as him (and me). Here's me wishing that it's also more personality based and less technical, but then again, I have my friend to help around this time.

Life's looking bright it seems. Always have been a bit too gloomy lately.
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't worry too much about technical aspects. As long as you know your stuff and have an idea of what they are talking about you should be good. Just show eagerness to work and most importantly, to LEARN! A friend of mine recently went to an interview at Honeywell and they asked him how would he rank himself in certain Programming Languages... for all of us that have worked on the aerospace industry, even if you were a Computer Science major, you start doing stuff that doesn't necessarily "gel" with what you studied and/or worked before so his answer: "beginner". He still got a call back. :wink:

Good luck!!! :)

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #20,991 of 21,763
Any opportunity to interview is valuable experience. And don't be afraid to call the HR department in a few days and check-in on when they might make a decision. Showing interest after the interview is just as important as before the interview. Did you get to meet the actual hiring manager? If you do, try to get their business card so you can follow-up with a thank-you email and also check-in if you don't hear anything from them. Even if they send you a TBNT, contact them and try to get feedback on what you can do to improve - whether that's interview skills, experience, education or whatever.

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #20,992 of 21,763
I wouldn't worry too much about technical aspects. As long as you know your stuff and have an idea of what they are talking about you should be good. Just show eagerness to work and most importantly, to LEARN! A friend of mine recently went to an interview at Honeywell and they asked him how would he rank himself in certain Programming Languages... for all of us that have worked on the aerospace industry, even if you were a Computer Science major, you start doing stuff that doesn't necessarily "gel" with what you studied and/or worked before so his answer: "beginner". He still got a call back. :wink:

Good luck!!! :)
+1

Life's looking bright it seems. Always have been a bit too gloomy lately. :D
It's not about what you know sometimes, it's that you show a willingness to learn and to go above and beyond the required. I landed my job, got it a month before graduating amazingly enough, due to solid knowledge of core basics and the fact that I pursued projects outside of school, personal projects. It wasn't much or major. I didn't have a lot of time to actually implement it but I had the idea fully fleshed out. My work typically never hires new grads so I think that showing desire to learn and work outside of what's required is a good trait to have. There'll always be a new programming language or new industry standards but a hard and eager worker will learn and adapt w/o too much prodding. :) GL on round 2.

P.S. - Coworker, also recent grad, was working on her own OS. :xf_eek:

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #20,993 of 21,763
Life's looking bright it seems. Always have been a bit too gloomy lately.
biggrin.gif

It's weird, I just realised that recently I've been unconsciously filtering all your posts through your display pic and therefore I've been imagining you've been saying everything while grimacing a little.

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #20,994 of 21,763
It did feel like I've been megaslapped though, but this time for the better. Like a calling that says "Hey, hey there. Life's ain't too shabby. Here, have some opportunity with favourable chance. Just make it more favourable with a little bit more effort."

PS: Also I'm tired and should probably sleep.

Feb 23, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #20,997 of 21,763
MuppetFace and the corporate people:

I've been thinking about something lately. Actually, really thinking hard and seriously about it. It's about my workplace, and what I can contribute to medical science more than I already do (lately I've been doing statistics for them, whoah and wow, I'm climbing the responsibility ladder).

I believe I have a competence that they don't know about, that would greatly benefit them. I haven't told them because it didn't cross my mind, nor did it ever come to surface during interviews.

I know how to do computer models, and by that I mean complex system models for statistical purposes. I know three major modeling "ways" but among them are something called system dynamics. I don't know if I've told you this, but my department is epidemiology, so it's more or less based on statistics and prevalence/incidence and stuff like that, which is basically what system dynamics is about. A google search for "system dynamics epidemiology" will yield more than a million hits, where some of the first hits are about the use of this specific modeling within epidemiology.

Now, I know I'm "just a worker" there (as in not a scientist), but we have a sort of environment where new ideas are welcome and our responsibilities and tasks are pretty crossing eachother. One of the associate professors have actually asked me to co-author a paper with him (why? I don't know. Maybe to make me feel good, or something). I respectfully post-poned answering that question because I don't have the "balls" to do it. What can I offer? I'm just a computer scientist in a medical science world. My degree is way below that of a associate professor.

Until now. I could offer system dynamics. I have a great contact with him, and my professor, almost bordering to friendship rather than co-working. I also have gained some self-confidence there as I've begun to know them more intimately and closely. Finally, I did get a permanent position there, and I feel like I'm becoming a bigger fish in a rather small pond, as opposed to my initial feeling of being just a "sheep among wolves".

Still, I have a hard time knowing how to present this suggestion and idea of mine.

•  I don't know whether I should approach my professor, or this associate professor, who I *know* is open as all hell to new ideas (prof is more reserved but has apparently a huge respect for me)

•  I don't know how to present them this idea. I talked to my IT manager and he said that a paper/report could be beneficial. I can see the benefit of that, and it's hard to argue against such papers and reports

•  I know that these kinds of modeling would be beneficial because I talked to one of the post-docs about it, and she was lyric and extatic about the idea, to say the least, hmm. Still, it's always a question about money and finances, even in the scientific world

•  Just give me some feedback here. Am I in way over my head with this idea, or do you think I could actually do some good here? I'm not even on a PhD student level, academic wise, so there may be some regulatory and bureaucratic hurdles?

The thing is that I aced my modeling courses, and I pretty much knew this thing like the back of my pocket, and even helped about 10 people (two group assigments) to even pass the courses, so the competency is there. Just a little "ring rusty", I'd have to prepare by reading and practicing for a couple of months, I think. The idea is giving me chills; what if they want to do a test project!? I'd be a friggin' scientist myself, in a way. I'd co-author a medical science paper. I don't know about you, but in my mind that's *huge*. If they don't, well, at least I gave it a shot, right?

I really, really want to offer something to the scientific world. I know I could do it, and I know I'm smart and clever enough, and I know I have great ideas and creative solutions. I just need to know where, when and how to present these ideas -- modeling being one of them

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #20,999 of 21,763
  MuppetFace and the corporate people:

I've been thinking about something lately. Actually, really thinking hard and seriously about it. It's about my workplace, and what I can contribute to medical science more than I already do (lately I've been doing statistics for them, whoah and wow, I'm climbing the responsibility ladder).

I believe I have a competence that they don't know about, that would greatly benefit them. I haven't told them because it didn't cross my mind, nor did it ever come to surface during interviews.

I know how to do computer models, and by that I mean complex system models for statistical purposes. I know three major modeling "ways" but among them are something called system dynamics. I don't know if I've told you this, but my department is epidemiology, so it's more or less based on statistics and prevalence/incidence and stuff like that, which is basically what system dynamics is about. A google search for "system dynamics epidemiology" will yield more than a million hits, where some of the first hits are about the use of this specific modeling within epidemiology.

Now, I know I'm "just a worker" there (as in not a scientist), but we have a sort of environment where new ideas are welcome and our responsibilities and tasks are pretty crossing eachother. One of the associate professors have actually asked me to co-author a paper with him (why? I don't know. Maybe to make me feel good, or something). I respectfully post-poned answering that question because I don't have the "balls" to do it. What can I offer? I'm just a computer scientist in a medical science world. My degree is way below that of a associate professor.

Until now. I could offer system dynamics. I have a great contact with him, and my professor, almost bordering to friendship rather than co-working. I also have gained some self-confidence there as I've begun to know them more intimately and closely. Finally, I did get a permanent position there, and I feel like I'm becoming a bigger fish in a rather small pond, as opposed to my initial feeling of being just a "sheep among wolves".

Still, I have a hard time knowing how to present this suggestion and idea of mine.

•  I don't know whether I should approach my professor, or this associate professor, who I *know* is open as all hell to new ideas (prof is more reserved but has apparently a huge respect for me)

•  I don't know how to present them this idea. I talked to my IT manager and he said that a paper/report could be beneficial. I can see the benefit of that, and it's hard to argue against such papers and reports

•  I know that these kinds of modeling would be beneficial because I talked to one of the post-docs about it, and she was lyric and extatic about the idea, to say the least, hmm. Still, it's always a question about money and finances, even in the scientific world

•  Just give me some feedback here. Am I in way over my head with this idea, or do you think I could actually do some good here? I'm not even on a PhD student level, academic wise, so there may be some regulatory and bureaucratic hurdles?

The thing is that I aced my modeling courses, and I pretty much knew this thing like the back of my pocket, and even helped about 10 people (two group assigments) to even pass the courses, so the competency is there. Just a little "ring rusty", I'd have to prepare by reading and practicing for a couple of months, I think. The idea is giving me chills; what if they want to do a test project!? I'd be a friggin' scientist myself, in a way. I'd co-author a medical science paper. I don't know about you, but in my mind that's *huge*. If they don't, well, at least I gave it a shot, right?

I really, really want to offer something to the scientific world. I know I could do it, and I know I'm smart and clever enough, and I know I have great ideas and creative solutions. I just need to know where, when and how to present these ideas -- modeling being one of them

I applaud your initiative and desire to reach higher.  For reference, I'm a Director of a manufacturing company, have background as a General Manager for over 15 years and truly look for and try to find people like you who have more to offer than just showing up to work.  Your mind is the best asset you have - that's what I feel, even with a floor level operator. 

It can be scary to step up and put yourself out there, but sounds like you have a heck of a lot on the ball from reading your posts all over Head Fi, as well as the above.  Go for it!  They obviously see something more in you than just what you do day to day - and that in itself is a compliment to you.  Give it a shot - I'm sure you'll nail it. 

Feb 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #21,000 of 21,763
nope.
Thorne's site is hilarious, though, and you should spend several hours reading it.

Awesome idea, I think I will once I find some spare time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back