The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Feb 11, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #20,882 of 21,763
Now that I've watched DF's Dido unboxing video, amazing how they manage to send in an aluminium Omega-style stand, while the TH900 got some banana hanger.

The later model TH900 phones come with a headphone stand far better than a banana hanger.  
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #20,884 of 21,763
IMO the headphone stand matters even more at that price. If under 1k headphones can come with a stand, how

hard is it toss in at the 1.5k and above price levels. That sealed the deal for the TH900 for me personally.

Its reminiscent of the BMW M3 where you had to pay on top of the price of an M3 to get an additional M-Sport kit.

Feb 12, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #20,885 of 21,763
I see your point, but I'm personally thinking that a headphone stand is akin to a headphone case. It's nice to get one, but it's nothing that would sway me in either direction, especially in that price range. Maybe, perhaps, if I'm reeeeaaally on the fence between two specific models, and they really are so alike (or equally desirable even for different reasons), then I could perhaps let the included accessories sway me. Don't get me wrong, a cool headphone stand is a lot cooler than a subpar headphone stand, but we're talking so expensive headphones that buying a separate even nicer stand from a third party would be a drop of piss in Mississippi.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #20,886 of 21,763

Whoever said Canada can't put out interesting music artists (yes Alysha Brilla is a Canadian) didn't know what they were talking about. I highly recommend the second song "Two Shots". For whatever reason its really grown on me over the last few days. That lounge shes singing in, that's the kind of place I like to revel in nowadays. Small, intimate and classy without being overly snooty. Wish those kind of establishments were more plentiful in my neck of the woods. Far cry from the 80s and 90s when my establishment of choice was a place with a dance floor large enough for moshing and my only concern was bruising the guy next to me as much as he bruised me. Guess I'm starting to show my age.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=354661508009444&set=vb.100003967930223&type=2&theater

A retrospect of me on Facebook. I've really become an audio geek over the last two years

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #20,887 of 21,763
"Interesting" yes, but after a certain level of fame you want to stick their head in a blender.

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #20,889 of 21,763
Feb 13, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #20,890 of 21,763
Feb 13, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #20,891 of 21,763
DOT BIZ would be a cool name for... Kim Dot Com's children I suppose.

-------------

So I am just finishing off a video review of the Yamaha HPH MT120. I made my comments about the sound, which to me sounds mid forward and rolled off in the highs and lows (and therefore exceedingly dull with a weird tonality the same way I don't like some AKG's) but I found it so hard to express what I meant that I actually woke up today and decided to reshoot the entire impressions section.

Sometimes I find sound really hard to describe, especially just talking about it, because I'm afraid that imperfect word choice or overemphasis of a particular point (even just by talking about it longer) skews my impression about the sound. The words are so imprecise and one person's mids is another person's mid-bass is another person's bass and I am constantly worried that I will do a product some kind of injustice through ambiguous terminology. That feeling is odd in itself - the idea of wanting to find the right words to get the story right.

Anyway now I have to figure out what I'm going to do for the rest of Valentines Day.

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #20,892 of 21,763
DOT BIZ would be a cool name for... Kim Dot Com's children I suppose.

-------------

So I am just finishing off a video review of the Yamaha HPH MT120. I made my comments about the sound, which to me sounds mid forward and rolled off in the highs and lows (and therefore exceedingly dull with a weird tonality the same way I don't like some AKG's) but I found it so hard to express what I meant that I actually woke up today and decided to reshoot the entire impressions section.

Sometimes I find sound really hard to describe, especially just talking about it, because I'm afraid that imperfect word choice or overemphasis of a particular point (even just by talking about it longer) skews my impression about the sound. The words are so imprecise and one person's mids is another person's mid-bass is another person's bass and I am constantly worried that I will do a product some kind of injustice through ambiguous terminology. That feeling is odd in itself - the idea of wanting to find the right words to get the story right.

Anyway now I have to figure out what I'm going to do for the rest of Valentines Day.

It's times like these where I wish Newtype is a real human evolutionary path so that we can mutate psychic powers to communicate on top of speech. But that would only produce more wars since most are a-holes first... Would be neat to convey our experience with headphones though!

Feb 14, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #20,893 of 21,763
It's times like these where I wish Newtype is a real human evolutionary path so that we can mutate psychic powers to communicate on top of speech. But that would only produce more wars since most are a-holes first... Would be neat to convey our experience with headphones though!

Um, if we had psychic powers, why would we need headphones? Musicians would just beam music into our heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back