The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Sep 12, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #181 of 21,761
4-element 3.5mm plugs are compatible with most 3-element 3.5mm sockets. It depends on where the contact for sleeve is on the socket. I've used iPhone style plugs on all of my portables and desktop amps without difficulty. There are some amps (that I don't have) that have the sleeve contact a little too far forward, so it touches the second ring on the plug instead. So it's a little bit of a crapshoot, but chances are pretty good that if you have a 3.5mm TRS->3.5mm TRS extension cord, that's all the adaptor you need.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #182 of 21,761
Quote:
4-element 3.5mm plugs are compatible with most 3-element 3.5mm sockets. It depends on where the contact for sleeve is on the socket. I've used iPhone style plugs on all of my portables and desktop amps without difficulty. There are some amps (that I don't have) that have the sleeve contact a little too far forward, so it touches the second ring on the plug instead.

The weird thing is that on my O2, it never liked the 4 pin jacks unless I pulled them out slightly when I first got the thing. Now overtime it works normally. I honestly think the plugs are the worst part of the JDS design, they never seemed particularly durable. In this case wear and tear worked in my favour though.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #183 of 21,761
I'll just copy-pasta the same thing I posted on the anime thread:
Hmm. That's interesting. Since I had the Tt Isurus, which have a iProduct capable mic, doesn't really work with my phone (the N8 and 808 PureView) and my brother's Android without sounding janky and incomplete; unless the mic button is pressed constantly.

Another anecdote that seems to be prevalent to the owners and loaners: the RedGiant A03. It have a iProduct-capable mic on it too, and it too have similar situation like I just stated with my Tt isurus.

I haven't tried the Apple earbuds with anything else though. I think I've tried it once with my N8 once, but I can't be sure of that piece of memory.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #185 of 21,761
Quote:
Red Hot Chili Peppers making their way back into my rotation. First time I've listened to them with the HD600s. Blood Sugar Sex Magik (the whole album) is more enjoyable now than I think it's ever been. I'll have to revisit it tomorrow morning with the GR07 as well to see if my comparison between these two 'phones still has merit.
smile_phones.gif

I genuinely like the Chilis' music, but some of their production quality (particularly the mastering) is very bad.  It's cold, gritty, overcompressed, and sometimes clipped.  Pro audio people use Californication as an example of how NOT to mix and master an album.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #186 of 21,761
Quote:
EarPod. *gun to head*
Less suicidal tone, I'm kind of stoked about it since it looks kind of weird, like a half IEM.

I'm actually interested in these. 

Apple: "We spent 3 years designing new headphones. EarPods."

They may actually turn out to be the best ( or among the best) earbuds on the market.

From the presentation:

"EarPods are designed to direct sound into the ear."

Joshua Topolsky: Wait, what? Into the ear you say? Can't wait to try these — current Apple earbuds fall out of my giant ears.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #190 of 21,761
Quote:

"EarPods are designed to direct sound into the ear."

My goodness. No wonder it took three years to develop them. During that long, arduous process they truly hit upon something profound there.

Up until now, most earbuds have been directing sound into the armpit, thigh, or colon.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #191 of 21,761
Since I had the Tt Isurus, which have a iProduct capable mic, doesn't really work with my phone (the N8 and 808 PureView) and my brother's Android without sounding janky and incomplete; unless the mic button is pressed constantly.

I know that some Android phones wire the 4-element 3.5mm plug differently (ring2 and sleeve are swapped). Maybe that's the problem with the TT?

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #192 of 21,761
Quote:

My goodness. No wonder it took three years to develop them. During that long, arduous process they truly hit upon something profound there.

Up until now, most earbuds have been directing sound into the armpit, thigh, or colon.

Yeah, that sounded funny. On the serious note,  I guess, he wanted to say that EarPods are designed to direct sound into the ear canal ( like semi-open IEMs). But they are a monolithic piece of plastic ( unlike IEMs which consist of two parts) which will be difficult to fit. Or not?

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #193 of 21,761
Since I had the Tt Isurus, which have a iProduct capable mic, doesn't really work with my phone (the N8 and 808 PureView) and my brother's Android without sounding janky and incomplete; unless the mic button is pressed constantly.

I know that some Android phones wire the 4-element 3.5mm plug differently (ring and sleeve are swapped). Maybe that's the problem with the TT?

This could probably be it. And maybe the 3.5mm jack too? I don't have a normal DAP, just my 2 Nokia and a NDS Lite. And it has weird things going on with the Nokias but not the NDS. Well I think there's nothing wrong with the NDS, since right channel is louder than the left. I just think that my friend's iBuds is broken.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #194 of 21,761
Quote:
I must be the only person here who doesn't remotely care about the new iPhone, or smart phones in general.

I just get whatever lets me obsessively go online, has a keyboard, and can take an after market battery*.  In my time owning smart phones I've used them for: e-mail, aim, a web browser, an adequate GPS service, and sometimes in conjunction with a PC as either a USB drive or a 3G tether (both of which are reasons I like android).  So, I like the things, but couldn't care less about the new iPhone and whatever cute new thing Apple will have us all thinking we need to do (i.e. facetime).  I'd be perfectly content with every new generation of smartphone being the Motorola Droid 3 with better specs.

* there are far too few of these now ;_; I couldn't even upgrade to the 4 because its battery isn't removable.  I refuse to carry a charger with me when I could just make my phone a centimeter larger and have it last over 2 days on a single charge.

Sep 12, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #195 of 21,761
OMG! 

Apple.com says :

Apple sound engineers — acousticians — were focused on improving sound quality. First, they established a target sound for the Apple EarPods. That target: a person sitting in a room listening to high-quality speakers.

The biggest determinant of what you hear from any speaker is the movement of its diaphragm. The inward and outward motion is what creates sound. But earbud speaker diaphragms are typically made from a single material, which can limit sound output.
So Apple acousticians re-engineered an earbud speaker diaphragm with both rigid and flexible materials to minimize sound loss and maximize sound output. Adding to the superior audio quality are strategically placed acoustic vents. The most notable of these vents is the one located in the stem of each EarPod. It allows air inside the stem, which acts as an acoustic chamber, to flow out. So you hear deeper, richer bass tones. The overall audio quality of Apple EarPods is so impressive, they rival high-end headphones that cost hundreds of dollars more. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back