The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2
Jul 9, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #15,751 of 21,761
Quote:

Me. Too. Too bad I have my heart set on some HD-25's now, otherwise I would lust over these more!

Quote:
Just got my Psvane EL34PH's and should be getting my Eddie Current Electra at some point today as well.

Sweet, hope you love them! I love mail days :D

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be playing Civ 5. Just one more turn. 

ERMAHGERD TOURISM

Jul 9, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #15,752 of 21,761
Quote:
FYI, it didn't change very much with burn-in.  Fairly similar, even after 120 hours of pink noise.  They do put out a very nice amount of bass without effing up the rest of the frequency range don't they?  Bit reminiscent of the AH-C300 in that respect, though much more of a mid-bass slam as opposed to gobs of sub-bass.

I'm enjoying them fine... but I really need to get rid of this sinus congestion I have darn it!!!! :frowning2:
The "feel" more comfortable than the Ultrasone Signature DJ, it's airy and has a good wide soundstage similar to the DJs... just need to compare them thoroughly now (hopefully after I get better). It's definitely not an offensive headphone though. Have played a lot of genres and have enjoyed them without problems. They look good too... but it seems that the pads are not replaceable? (don't want to tear it... lol) That sucks...

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #15,753 of 21,761
That is awesome. Any more stories you are ok to share are encouraged by me. I can provide a digital plaque of "100% Awesome."

What was the procedure with financial auditors that needed to check inventory and such?

I was an engineer - the only auditors we saw were the timecard auditors and the security auditors. I would assume the finance auditors were treated the same. However, it really depended on the specific program. ATF wasn't a black program - it's existence was known - and that meant it was under more gov't oversight than the truly black programs like the F117 (before it was announced). In those days, a black program rarely saw ANY gov't auditors except security audits. The Skunkworks was fairly famous for it's "F the rules, just get it done" attitude. It was a really fun place to be during the Reagan years! Of course, the security auditors were MUCH more frightening than any other type of audit - we were always terrified of getting a security violation. An employee's security clearance is their career - you lose that due to a serious violation or even several minor violations and your career was OVER. On the employment application for every aerospace company is the question: "Have you ever had a security clearance denied or revoked?" If you have to answer "Yes" to that, you can kiss goodby your chances of being hired at any company that does DoD work. It wasn't quite as bad as the scene of the security audit in "The Falcon and the Snowman" - but it wasn't too far off!!

Sitting in the "cooler" (an unsecured area) waiting for your security clearance to be approved was frustrating when I was first hired out of college. They put 5 or 6 recent college grads together with really nothing to do for 3-4 months. We occasionally had token tasks - but we were primarily just left on our own - and this was before the internet & cell phones!! They finally gave us one terminal that had access to an old DEC Vax minicomputer. We amused ourselves writing stupid little programs - for example, I remember calculating how many boxes of fanfold computer paper would be needed to create a ring in geostationary orbit around the Earth... :p

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #15,754 of 21,761
Suddenly you make me think of Constant Angular Velocity and Constant Linear Velocity.

CAV and CLV would be cool names for headphones.

OMG, I just had a 90s laserdisc flashback!

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #15,755 of 21,761
Sitting in the "cooler" (an unsecured area) waiting for your security clearance to be approved was frustrating when I was first hired out of college. They put 5 or 6 recent college grads together with really nothing to do for 3-4 months. We occasionally had token tasks - but we were primarily just left on our own - and this was before the internet & cell phones!! They finally gave us one terminal that had access to an old DEC Vax minicomputer. We amused ourselves writing stupid little programs - for example, I remember calculating how many boxes of fanfold computer paper would be needed to create a ring in geostationary orbit around the Earth... :p

Along the equator or the poles? :wink:

Incidentally, I miss the nice cleavage that used to greet me when I'd wander into this thread. :wink:

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #15,756 of 21,761
Along the equator or the poles? :wink:

Incidentally, I miss the nice cleavage that used to greet me when I'd wander into this thread. :wink:

The equator of course! By definition, you can't have a geostationary orbit around the poles!! :wink:

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #15,757 of 21,761
I confused geosynchronous with geostationary. :frowning2:

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #15,758 of 21,761
I confused geosynchronous with geostationary. :frowning2:

lol - I knew what you meant - I was just making sure you weren't trying to trip me up - you're kind of sneaky like that! :p

Polar orbits are really the more interesting types of orbits - especially for recon. You can put a satellite in a polar orbit and it will sweep the entire globe as the Earth moves under it. You can't do that with an equatorial orbit. There is a reason most of the Air Force launches are from Vandenberg AFB and not Florida. From Vandenberg you have a straight shot South over nothing but the Pacific Ocean and a few islands.

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_jM_BxQGvE[/VIDEO]

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #15,761 of 21,761
Quote:
Quote:
Even that name is a bit foreign to me... as for the longest time I simply knew it as the ATF.

Yeah, me too - we either called it ATF or "J". When I was there, each Skunkworks project had a letter designator and if you were cleared for the project, your security badge had that letter. Back in the mid-80s, "Y" was the SR-71, "N" was the F-117 and "J" was the ATF.

I once had the great pleasure of answering a knock on the door of our secured area, and it was a DOD auditor that wanted to come in and audit all of our timecards. She flashed her badge - but she did not have a "J" on her badge and I told her she couldn't come in.

Hmm, so you had a J on your badge?  And hence worked on the ATF?  That is cool! 
cool.gif

Quote:
Quote:
FYI, it didn't change very much with burn-in.  Fairly similar, even after 120 hours of pink noise.  They do put out a very nice amount of bass without effing up the rest of the frequency range don't they?  Bit reminiscent of the AH-C300 in that respect, though much more of a mid-bass slam as opposed to gobs of sub-bass.

They "feel" more comfortable than the Ultrasone Signature DJ, it's airy and has a good wide soundstage similar to the DJs... just need to compare them thoroughly now (hopefully after I get better). It's definitely not an offensive headphone though. Have played a lot of genres and have enjoyed them without problems. They look good too... but it seems that the pads are not replaceable? (don't want to tear it... lol) That sucks...

I suspect that this will be a unicorn headphone for bassheads. 
smile.gif
  I'm sure the pads are replaceable... that's almost a de facto standard amongst premium manufacturers these days.  BTW, did you know that there's a optional cable that is 4m long?  For listening at home I presume.

Quote:
I think I get geostationary orbit - that is to remain above a constant spot in orbit. What's geosynchronous?

Geosynchronous is when the object matches the Earth's rotation period, but not at the equator... as in the case of a satellite that traverses both the northern and southern hemispheres.  So whereas geostationary will remain above one specific point at all times, geosynchronous will move, but return to the same point once a day.

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #15,762 of 21,761

Hooked up my crap earlier but am terrified to turn it on lest it explode or something.  Hopefully I'll get over that later, or maybe I'll just have these as display pieces forever.  Conductor -> LCD-3 has been serving me pretty well anyway.

Had to move some stuff around a bit below.  Ended up putting my DAC down there too.

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #15,763 of 21,761
Geostationary is perpendicular to the axis of rotation, that is, from a point of view on the surface an object in geostationary orbit stands still. Geosynchronous means following along with the earth's rotation, but not necessarily at the same axis of rotation as geostationary. From the surface a geosynchronous orbit object syncs up but doesn't necessarily stand still.

Edit: lol, too slow

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #15,764 of 21,761
Right - geosynchronous means that to an observer on the surface, the satellite will appear at the same spot in the sky once a day (a "sidereal" day to be precise). A geosynchronous orbit can be elliptical and/or inclined to the equatorial plane. The orbit simply needs to go through the same point above a fixed point on the surface at the same time each sidereal day.

As a side note, the GPS satellites are neither geostationary nor geosynchronous...

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #15,765 of 21,761

Users who are viewing this thread

Back