The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Jul 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM Post #931 of 2,112
The CSP2 and CSP2+ come stock with G.E. Film caps of either 0.33uf or 0.68uf.  This defines the acceptable range of values that can be used. The reason Jupiter Beeswax and or the VCAPS are not an option now, is because of their physical size relative to the stock caps.  Proper installation of either of these caps would require alterations to the internal layout if you ever plan to ship the preamp anywhere.  The new CSP3 that's just around the corner will have the Jupiter Beeswax caps as an option because I will be completely changing both the internal and external layout of the preamp.  The value we will be using for this option is 0.47uf.

Thanks,

Steve

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #932 of 2,112
Hi Steve,

Can we get on the list for this new CSP3+ now or still a bit away? I was originally thinking the CSP3+ was going to be a cosmetic change in the top black cover but now we have the option of the different caps.

The CSP2 and CSP2+ come stock with G.E. Film caps of either 0.33uf or 0.68uf.  This defines the acceptable range of values that can be used. The reason Jupiter Beeswax and or the VCAPS are not an option now, is because of their physical size relative to the stock caps.  Proper installation of either of these caps would require alterations to the internal layout if you ever plan to ship the preamp anywhere.  The new CSP3 that's just around the corner will have the Jupiter Beeswax caps as an option because I will be completely changing both the internal and external layout of the preamp.  The value we will be using for this option is 0.47uf.

Thanks,

Steve

Jul 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #933 of 2,112
Quote:
Hi Steve,

Can we get on the list for this new CSP3+ now or still a bit away? I was originally thinking the CSP3+ was going to be a cosmetic change in the top black cover but now we have the option of the different caps.

Good question, from a previous post I understood if we order the CSP2+ it will be upgraded to CSP3 for no additional cost, so I've ordered one and put a note regarding the CSP3. It looks like the order has been accepted and it's on the list. Assuming this was well understood, my question is: Can we request the custom options later on when they are known?

Jul 12, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #934 of 2,112
I was thinking it was just the black cover option. The caps would cost extra right and that was not factored into the original price paid by the person placing the CSP2+ order? Then the caps won't fit into the CSP2+ frame but the black cover no problem. CSP3+ is a different beast. Exciting stuff though. Congrats to you guys already in line.

Good question, from a previous post I understood if we order the CSP2+ it will be upgraded to CSP3 for no additional cost,
 so I've ordered one and put a note regarding the CSP3. It looks like the order has been accepted and it's on the list. Assuming this was well understood, my question is: Can we request the custom options later on when they are known?

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #935 of 2,112
At around how many hours are any break-in changes expected with the Beeswax MK3?

I think there's been a signficant tick in SQ today. That's between 48 and 72 hours from new.

Jul 13, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #936 of 2,112
I have been reading this thread with interest.  It looks like the MK3 will be a great choice for my Audio Technica ATH-3000ANV and Smeggy Thunderpants headphones. But I also have a pair of Final Audio Design Piano Forte earphones which I love listening to.  Just wondering if anyone is using the MK3 for their earphones and what your experiences have been.

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #937 of 2,112
QuotI'me:
I have been reading this thread with interest.  It looks like the MK3 will be a great choice for my Audio Technica ATH-3000ANV and Smeggy Thunderpants headphones. But I also have a pair of Final Audio Design Piano Forte earphones which I love listening to.  Just wondering if anyone is using the MK3 for their earphones and what your experiences have been.

I'm guessing the Taboo will be a sweet match with your ATH3000's.  

I've never seen those Final Audio Design Piano Forte earphones.  They look pretty sweet.

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #938 of 2,112
Quote:

Good question, from a previous post I understood if we order the CSP2+ it will be upgraded to CSP3 for no additional cost, so I've ordered one and put a note regarding the CSP3. It looks like the order has been accepted and it's on the list. Assuming this was well understood, my question is: Can we request the custom options later on when they are known?

Yes, once I have the first production sample built and photographed, I'll be updating the web page for the CSP2+ and will be contacting everyone on the list so they can visit the page and decide if they want any additional options.  I am still waiting for the new chassis to get done.

Jul 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #939 of 2,112
Quote:

Yes, once I have the first production sample built and photographed, I'll be updating the web page for the CSP2+ and will be contacting everyone on the list so they can visit the page and decide if they want any additional options.  I am still waiting for the new chassis to get done.

Can't wait to see it.  Exciting!

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #940 of 2,112

Hey guys. I only heard great stuff about the taboo mk3 from my friend negura. I was wondering about the soon to come csp3 how will it be just as a headphone amp compared to mk3? I would use hd800 and lcd3 eventually with it. I know that taboo has a speaker amp also, which I do not need. Do you have a stripped version of the mk3, or is cdp3 comparable just as headphone amp?

Thank you,

Dan

Jul 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #941 of 2,112
Quote:
Hey guys. I only heard great stuff about the taboo mk3 from my friend negura. I was wondering about the soon to come csp3 how will it be just as a headphone amp compared to mk3? I would use hd800 and lcd3 eventually with it. I know that taboo has a speaker amp also, which I do not need. Do you have a stripped version of the mk3, or is cdp3 comparable just as headphone amp?

Thank you,

Dan

I haven't tried the Taboo MKIII yet... but I did own the Taboo MKII and it was not an optimal match with the HD800. Nor did I prefer the full CSP2+ -> Taboo MKII -> HD800 chain. The CSP2+ by itself was far superior.

Thus, my educated guess of the suitability for HD800 would be (from best to worst): CSP3+ > CSP2+ > (significant gap) > Taboo MKIII > Taboo MKII.

I don't believe the CSP will drive the LCD. Decision time. You'll need a Taboo and a CSP to get the most out of both headphones. You could get by with a Taboo alone, but I don't understand the reasoning of purchasing a $1500 headphone to use under suboptimal conditions. Would be better to specialize in one headphone and use the extra money on a good DAC. 

Jul 15, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #942 of 2,112
The CSP is better suited at driving high-impedance 'phones, like the Senn. HD series. It is an OTL design, which seems to work much better with the HD's.

The Taboo's, being essentially power amps, are better at driving 'phones that need more power, like the planars. They use output transformers; hence, they're not the best choice for high-impedence 'phones.

Hope that clears things up.

Jul 15, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #943 of 2,112
To me one thing is very clear after the last few days with the Taboo MK3. The HD800s have fantastic synergy with it. Many people use the Burson Soloist/Conductor with the HD800s in this community and it's a very good solution for around the $1000 USD. The Taboo is a couple of classes above. And this is with stock tubes, single ended and about 120-130 hours on the Taboo. I am not surprised about the synergy with the LCD-3s, after all it's even marketed as such. But I was surprised just how well the HD800s are scaling on it.

That said, I am also using speakers and I have also ordered the CSP3, mainly, for that purpose.

Jul 15, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #944 of 2,112
I am glad to hear that, as I just received my HD 800 today and am hoping it will sound good with my Taboo once it arrives.  I believe Frank commented in his review that the HD 800 was 'a revelation' with the Taboo MKIII - which helped me over the edge in my decision to get the Sennheisers.  :)

Jul 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #945 of 2,112
Quote:
I am glad to hear that, as I just received my HD 800 today and am hoping it will sound good with my Taboo once it arrives.  I believe Frank commented in his review that the HD 800 was 'a revelation' with the Taboo MKIII - which helped me over the edge in my decision to get the Sennheisers.  :)

100% agree with Frank's findings regarding the HD800s and Taboo MK3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back