The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Jul 9, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #888 of 2,112
+1

Please post what Sarah says.

Thanks
ckc

As soon as I get a hold of someone there I'll let you know what I learn. I take it both of you are on the list for CSP2+'s?

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #889 of 2,112
Sorry for not being more clear - I should have kept it short.  Not sure why Frank is getting defensive, I'm not trying to attack him or any manufactures and apologize if it's coming off that way.  Frank is right, I was confused about which amp I sent him, because we actually sent him both.  The first one (my personal unit which is white) we had to stop the shipment mid stream at Franks request since he would not be there to take delivery.  I then sent him the first production unit so he would not have to wait for the original amp to make it's way back here, be unpacked, tested, repacked and sent back out.  That said, it makes no difference which one it was, the point is simple.  My original choice was to sell the amps with a 100 ohm resistor to limit the power.  Frank didn't like it.  I lowered the value to increase the power into headphones and then he liked it.  The sound of the amp didn't change, it just gets louder now.  So the solid state amp didn't actually sound better, it sounded louder.  I suspect the same is true of the more powerful 300B amps.  Remember, just because something costs more doesn't mean it sounds better.  

Steve

P.S.  Just to nip a lot of CSP2 questions in the bud, we are coming out with a black plate CSP3 and there will be a price increase.  Anyone on the list for a CSP2 will be automatically upgraded to the CSP3 at no additional cost.

Jul 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #890 of 2,112
P.S.  Just to nip a lot of CSP2 questions in the bud, we are coming out with a black plate CSP3 and there will be a price increase.  Anyone on the list for a CSP2 will be automatically upgraded to the CSP3 at no additional cost.

Yay! Thanks, ZenTriode!! Please let Dev know she can disregard the email I just sent her about this.

Jul 9, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #891 of 2,112
Quote:
Make no mistake about it, I am after the best sound and go to great lengths to find it.  Profitability is not involved.  For that reason, despite being hounded to come out with either a 2A3 or 300B based headphone amplifier at the much higher price points, I’m just not going to do it.  They’re not going to sound better than a MK III in my opinion.

Steve

Thank you Steve for stopping in to elaborate upon your design philosophy, as well as your dedication to bringing so many nice (and affordable) products to market. I very much enjoy my CSP2+ with the HD800 and have yet to find a better price/performing tube amp for it. Particularly one which looks as nice as it does. 

Jul 9, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #892 of 2,112
+1

Fantastic information from Steve. Sorry to see a misunderstanding develop there but I'm sure it will be quickly resolved, as obviously Frank has immense respect for Steve's designs.

Jul 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #893 of 2,112
I wonder what new magic Steve is putting into the CSP3+? Dang hobby...
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #895 of 2,112
Quote:
Sorry for not being more clear - I should have kept it short.  Not sure why Frank is getting defensive, I'm not trying to attack him or any manufactures and apologize if it's coming off that way.  Frank is right, I was confused about which amp I sent him, because we actually sent him both.  The first one (my personal unit which is white) we had to stop the shipment mid stream at Franks request since he would not be there to take delivery.  I then sent him the first production unit so he would not have to wait for the original amp to make it's way back here, be unpacked, tested, repacked and sent back out.  That said, it makes no difference which one it was, the point is simple.  My original choice was to sell the amps with a 100 ohm resistor to limit the power.  Frank didn't like it.  I lowered the value to increase the power into headphones and then he liked it.  The sound of the amp didn't change, it just gets louder now.  So the solid state amp didn't actually sound better, it sounded louder.  I suspect the same is true of the more powerful 300B amps.  Remember, just because something costs more doesn't mean it sounds better.  

Steve

Sorry, but Frank's been around too long a time to not understand the differences between a great sounding amp vs. a loud sounding amp. 
size]
 As well, your statement that "the solid state amp didn't actually sound better, it sounded louder" doesn't make sense to me as it was Frank's ears making the assessment between the Taboo III and the V200. Same goes for a 300B amp. Seems to me that Frank was only writing what he heard when he had all three amp in his house to listen to and review. Saying that what he was hearing wasn't better, just louder doesn't jive. 

Jul 9, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #896 of 2,112
Quote:
Sorry, but Frank's been around too long a time to not understand the differences between a great sounding amp vs. a loud sounding amp. 
size]
 As well, your statement that "the solid state amp didn't actually sound better, it sounded louder" doesn't make sense to me as it was Frank's ears making the assessment between the Taboo III and the V200. Same goes for a 300B amp. Seems to me that Frank was only writing what he heard when he had all three amp in his house to listen to and review. Saying that what he was hearing wasn't better, just louder doesn't jive. 

+1
L3000.gif

Jul 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #897 of 2,112
font]

I agree.  What I was trying to communicate is that Frank said his solid state amp sounded much better than the Taboo Mk III when he first heard it.  After realizing he listens to it much louder than I do, and that probably a lot of other people do as well, I made the amp louder without changing it's sound and sent it back to him.  After hearing the louder version, then Frank said the Taboo Mk III sounded much better than the solid state.  Since the only change was volume, not sound quality, the perception of "better" made me realize several things, one of which is that the production run of Taboo MK III's must all play louder than I originally thought.  

Steve 

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #898 of 2,112
I've just received my Taboo MK3 and I have to say I am very impressed. It's connected to my Burson Conductor DAC out and from the very first few minutes listening I realized this Decware bloke is classes above the Burson Soloist. I did obviously expect the Taboo to be better, but did not not expect it to be THIS good. It feel pointless to go into details, as it does seemingly everything better, but I will do that in the coming days when I have some more time.

This is with the LCD-3s single ended. My balanced Silver Widow cable should be here in a few days. By then the Taboo should have some proper burn-in and I will post back with more impressions.

Jul 10, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #899 of 2,112
Quote:
I've just received my Taboo MK3 and I have to say I am very impressed. It's connected to my Burson Conductor DAC out and from the very first few minutes listening I realized this Decware bloke is classes above the Burson Soloist. I did obviously expect the Taboo to be better, but did not not expect it to be THIS good. It feel pointless to go into details, as it does seemingly everything better, but I will do that in the coming days when I have some more time.

This is with the LCD-3s single ended. My balanced Silver Widow cable should be here in a few days. By then the Taboo should have some proper burn-in and I will post back with more impressions.

beerchug.gif
  Grats!

You'll like the balanced connection.

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #900 of 2,112
Probably old news to some, but thought to share some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back