The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
May 21, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #646 of 2,112
Quote:
Quote:

Is it quite normal the Taboo is a bit fiddly like that, as it seems there's a bit of confusion regarding wiring, switches, artifacts etc?
Does it at least work properly when both Lucid modes are off?

Quote:
No, with both switches off is when I get the weird ringing at medium level, it goes away with either or both switches turned on.
I prefer to have old lucid mode on, so it is not a huge issue.  I also am finding that I would listen at a lower level than when the noise starts, too.  So again, it is not a huge issue.

Have you contacted Decware about the ringing? I'm getting a little anxious about the amp being 'fiddly'.

I wonder if Steve or a rep from Decware monitor this thread? It would be really helpful for Q&As like in some of the other threads on HF.

Fiddley is a technical term.....
biggrin.gif

So, here are the different "Fiddley" adjustments:

1. Stock Tubes, 3 potential varieties to play with. 1 Rectifier, 1 Input tube, 2 output tube....Swap away!
2. No Lucid Mode
3. Old Lucid Mode
4. New Lucid Mode
5. Balanced plug
6. Single Ended plug

We are already at dozens of combinations to affect you personal sound signature. This both good and bad. With choice can come confusion! (or Nirvana!..
ph34r.gif
  )

Decware never monitors any forum other than the ones found on the Decware website. That way Steve has more time to make new amps...Like the new one he is in the middle of voicing....

May 22, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #647 of 2,112
Quote:

Fiddley is a technical term.....
biggrin.gif

So, here are the different "Fiddley" adjustments:

1. Stock Tubes, 3 potential varieties to play with. 1 Rectifier, 1 Input tube, 2 output tube....Swap away!
2. No Lucid Mode
3. Old Lucid Mode
4. New Lucid Mode
5. Balanced plug
6. Single Ended plug

We are already at dozens of combinations to affect you personal sound signature. This both good and bad. With choice can come confusion! (or Nirvana!..
ph34r.gif
  )

Decware never monitors any forum other than the ones found on the Decware website. That way Steve has more time to make new amps...Like the new one he is in the middle of voicing....

Got it, I thought fiddly = finicky.......Should have checked my tech dictionary first 
smile_phones.gif

May 22, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #648 of 2,112
After a lot of research, I've decided on the Taboo.
Placed my order and now the wait begins ! 
wink.gif

Also during my research I found some info on tube tech,
but didn't bookmark it, any links for learning
about different tubes would be appreciated.

May 22, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #649 of 2,112
Quote:
It played the 88DB Polks but not loud. I would recommend 94DB speakers for it to work properly. If you have a large room a 90DB speaker will not get loud at the Mk111 maxed out. I will be reviewing the Omega 3T with the Mk111. 

Thanks Frank, that's good to know.   I was hoping to use the Taboo's ability to drive my speakers as extra justification for making the purchase.  Living in small Amsterdam apartments with poor sound isolation I still suspect that it might be loud enough on my 90db speakers for my needs, but I guess we're talking about more than just volume.  

May 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #650 of 2,112
My Polk Monitor 60's are powered to a nice listening level by the Taboo. No where close to rock concert levels, but surprisingly good. It also sounds FAR superior to my ears than my Onkyo solid state for stereo. If you don't have a large room and you get a nice speaker to pair with it, I am sure that you will be much happier than I am with my lowly polks. I am trying to audition the Pendragons that an AVSer who lives in Dallas has. I hope that works out so I can get that decision finalized soon.

May 22, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #651 of 2,112
Quote:
Audiosceptic,

How is the new Taboo holding up against your Consonance M10S??

I don't think I'm hearing any hum with the new Lucid Mode either....my experience with it is a mixed bag thus far but that's the nature if that beast. Nice to be able to switch it on and off on the fly. My Taboo is about a week old so I'm gonna give it some more time before I write some detailed impressions....its been fun (for the most part) thus far
smily_headphones1.gif

I emailed Decware today about the hum with the new Lucid mode is engaged. There is also hum with the old Lucid mode engaged but barely noticeable. I checked for hum with my HD-800 and Beyer T7 and it was still there. I could swap tubes but I'll wait to hear from Decware.

I really like the Consonance M10S. Unfortunately it produces hum when used with any headphones but the HE-6. The HE-6 sounds glorious through it and is my preferred dynamic setup. The M10S responds well to tube swaps and I'm currently using some SED EL34's and NOS Mullard 12AX7 and 12AU7. I was hoping the Taboo would offer similar performance to the M10S but with the HD-800 and LCD-2. So far I'm not so sure it does. I'll keep comparing with different sources and see what happens.

May 22, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #652 of 2,112
Received my XLR cables from Audeze today.

The Taboo sounds much better than it did from the single ended output.
I can hear all of the music without having to use any of the lucid modes.

Volume reaches adequate levels easier and the sound stage seems to have increased.

It is such a difference that I would not recommend listening to the Taboo unless you are going to use balanced outputs.

I'm really enjoying this amp, if any of you all are on the fence I would suggest placing your order before the
200 dollar discount disappears, you won't regret it!

May 22, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #656 of 2,112
Glad the balanced cable is working out so well. I too was surprised by how much it made a difference on my Taboo. I still use Old Lucid mode, but it doesn't make as big a difference as it did before.

May 22, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #658 of 2,112
There is an issue with lucid mode turned off with a weird ringing.  It seems to work just fine with old and new mode turned on.  I have been mostly listening to my HD800's, though.  I will try to get some more time with the HE500's and see what I think.

I have been monitoring this thread since it was started because I take the Taboo Mk III very seriously and am keenly interested in everyone's experience with it.  We have a support forum on our web site for the Taboo Mk III which can be seen here:  http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?board=TABOOMK3  I would invite any of you to join it, especially with support questions, as that is where I prefer to answer them.  Of course you are also welcome to e-mail me directly at zen@decware.com with any support questions or comments you might have.  Also registration in our forum has a tricky captcha where you actually leave out the first two and the last two characters.  A simple trick that eliminates spam bots.

The reason I'm posting here this evening is to talk about lucid mode and single-ended headphone cables.

The taboo design has a floating output stage, meaning that the negative speaker jacks are not connected to ground like is typical in 99.9% of amplifiers.  This is what makes it so Taboo, and what makes possible it's Lucid Mode feature.   

A single ended headphone jack has only three wires, not four.  That means the grounds for each channel are tied together.  Since the Taboo will not tolerate this, the ground for the headphone jack can only come from one channel or the other.  To get around this issue, the ground is tied into the lucid mode switch so that lucid mode itself can create a virtual ground for the headphones.  That means that original lucid mode must be ON at all times for proper operation of single ended headphone cables.  Turning the switch off will cause the virtual ground to vanish leaving one or the other channels without a ground.  This will cause strange things to happen sonically, which includes the experience I quoted at the start of this post.

It's really very simple.  Keep Original Lucid Mode ON when using headphones that employ single-ended cables.  Original Lucid Mode is a natural and accurate frequency based cross-feed that you would usually want to have ON anyway - with virtually all headphones.

Otherwise, get yourself a balanced cable for your headphones, that way the grounds of each channel are separate at all times, just like loudspeakers... which is partly why balanced sounds better than single ended cables with the Taboo Mk III.  

I will be writing a paper on New Lucid Mode soon, as it can be used as a tool to evaluate the quality of many recordings.  Because it works by revealing information hidden in the recordings that is out of phase from channel to channel...  rendering it silent to the ears... it lets one evaluate how much phase angle discrepancy there is between the various tracks before they were mixed down to two channels.  In my paper I'll explain exactly how that works...  but the result is simple.  Audiophile recordings that were done with purist practices and are free of excessive phase distortion between tracks caused by microphone placement, electronics and effects busses, will sound absolutely stunning without New Lucid Mode turned on.  Then when New Lucid Mode IS turned on, you will hear almost nothing change.  On the flip side, hearing a big change when New Lucid Mode is used is indicative of a less than great recording and if analyzed, shows much of how the recoding was mixed and mastered.  Of course fake or digital reverb effects common in main stream recordings are not going to sound good with New Lucid Mode turned ON.

Hope these insights increase your understanding of the Taboo which in turn increase your enjoyment of it.  This is a very serious listening machine for very serious headphones and very serious recordings. And thanks to New Lucid Mode, half of the 80% of less than great recordings can now be heard as though a mastering guru made the recording.  Certainly increased the size of my serious listening library!

Thanks,

Steve Deckert.

May 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #659 of 2,112
Quote:
Thanks,

Steve Deckert.

Steve, Thanks for the explanation.  As I said it is not a huge issue as I prefer to listen with lucid mode on anyway.  However, I must say that I was using a balanced cable (Q French silk) when I heard this noise in my HE500's.  I did not email you about this as it is minor and the amp is working flawlessly with the primary phones I use (HD800's).
beerchug.gif

P.S. I am also looking forward to my ZSB and putting my zen head kit together.

May 23, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #660 of 2,112
Quote:

Thanks,

Steve Deckert.

Thank you so much Steve for your comments. As a future Taboo owner with an order placed for delivery overseas this provides full clarity and comes as excellent reassurance regarding the design intentions. I definetely plan taking advantage of the balanced mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back