The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
May 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #481 of 2,112
Quote:
I understand the w4s has some drive and energy? Unlike the more deadpan anedio i've 99% decided on. Good to hear it matches the taboo :)

Thanks  Yeah, it's a bit noisy out right now, but the first thing that occurred to me was a wider soundstage than with the Headroom DAC.  There are a couple of other niggling little things that the W4S has seemed to cleared up as well.  

May 3, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #482 of 2,112
I finally broke down and plugged my rather tame Polk Monitor 60's into the ole Taboo MK3 and CSP combo. I can say with pretty good confidence that with an efficient speaker this amp can fill a large room.

My listening space is 20x18X8 and with those poor little polks I can get it to a room filling volume at 75% volume.

Can't wait to get some efficient speakers with a bit of bass. I am having to fill in the holes of the monitor 60s with my sub from the CSP pre-out.

Needless to say, I am a super happy camper. The Tekton order is going to happen soon I believe.

My Peachtree Dac*it has a connection issue and keeps slipping into mono if the cord isnt at just the right angle. I may be sending it back :frowning2:

May 3, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #485 of 2,112
I am using my Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 as the Pre-Amp atm so I can use the wireless remote for the speakers. It works great with the Taboo volume at max and the W4S in control.

BTW, Jazzerdave, I have a air of DM945's on order.....

May 3, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #486 of 2,112
Quote:
I am using my Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 as the Pre-Amp atm so I can use the wireless remote for the speakers. It works great with the Taboo volume at max and the W4S in control.

I thought about doing the same but then I realized that won't work because I switch between DAC and Phono on the Taboo.  I can imagine myself forgetting to turn the volume down on the amp and killing my eardrums.

May 3, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #487 of 2,112
Quote:

Congrats man!  I hope you enjoy them.
Quote:
I thought about doing the same but then I realized that won't work because I switch between DAC and Phono on the Taboo.  I can imagine myself forgetting to turn the volume down on the amp and killing my eardrums.

You could always get a switching box.

May 4, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #489 of 2,112
Quote:
Quote:

The big drawback of the DAC-2 as Pre-amp is that it does not have any RCA analog inputs...This was just for fun. Old school meets new school....

May 4, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #490 of 2,112
Quote:

OPR8R,

In case you aren't aware, the Taboo III has input level adjustments for both inputs. You can independently adjust the input level of your DAC-2 and phono preamp. I use my Taboo III for phono and DAC-2 and it works just fine as long as you have a sufficiently high output from each source device to drive the Taboo III to full output, otherwise you might need a CSP+. No need to worry about "killing ... eardrums."

May 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #491 of 2,112
Quote:
How does that work?

It's just a box with multiple inputs and one or two outputs so that you can add multiple inputs to an amp that only has only has one.  Mapletree Audio makes them.  You can also find them from Goldpoint, Luxman and other sources.  It's far from a perfect solution, but it's not the worst idea in the world.  You'd plug both your DAC and Phono Stage into the switch box (or line router if you'd prefer that term) and then plug the box into the Taboo.

May 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #492 of 2,112
Quote:

It's just a box with multiple inputs and one or two outputs so that you can add multiple inputs to an amp that only has only has one.  Mapletree Audio makes them.  You can also find them from Goldpoint, Luxman and other sources.  It's far from a perfect solution, but it's not the worst idea in the world.  You'd plug both your DAC and Phono Stage into the switch box (or line router if you'd prefer that term) and then plug the box into the Taboo.

Decware also has one, The Zen Switch-box. $279  Was just looking at it thinking it might come in handy.

with a choice of knobs...and other choices...

May 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #493 of 2,112

I hadn't considered trying to use the input level adjustments on the Taboo to get around this problem.

Decware has a switchbox too?  Great.  My next order will be one of everything.

Thanks, everyone.

May 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #494 of 2,112
Quote:
My next order will be one of everything.

It sure seems to be working out that way for me!  
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #495 of 2,112
Tell me about it. I was looking at the mystery amp thread at the decware site, and I am so jonesing for that amp. It looks like it would be a great endgame amp for the pendragons. Oh well, I am still saving up for the Dragons and I am already on to the next thing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back