The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Apr 29, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #452 of 2,112
Quote:
Testing and Quality Control...not too much longer!

I'm on the bench!!! er...my amp is on the bench I mean...
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #454 of 2,112
I love the new Lucid Mode. It is a big time soundstage expander, especially on the HD800s though. The best I can explain it is like listening to a "hall" mode on a digital DSP. It doesn't work with everything, but it makes some music sound so much more "live" and sounds much more like a set of speakers vs. headphones. The old Lucid mode is very subtle and is not a huge difference. I always prefer it on it seems. I really don't like the "in the head" feel of headphones that much, so I appreciate the added options to kind of expand the room. It is kind of like original Lucid is a 12X15 living room and new lucid mode is a 75X150 performance hall to my humble ears. Either way options are great and you lose nothing in sound quality to my ears.

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #455 of 2,112
What would you guys think about me trying to use my Asgard 2 as the pre-amp for my Taboo MKIII.  Does that defeat he purpose of having a tube amp?  Also, do you think my Bifrost will be a bottleneck/problem for the Taboo?

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #457 of 2,112
I agree with Nick. Whereas I found the bifrost close overall to stagedac and eastern electric dacs with Meier concerto, vioolectric v100 or lyr as the amps, it fell behind when taboo entered the frame, sounding muddy and distant with harmonically complex material (e.g. Piano with dense chord structures). Either this was synergy, or taboo has much greater resolution and transparency. Either way...

Otoh, I've ordered the new 'uber' output board upgrade for the bifrost. It's based on the gungnir's output stage. Could be interesting.

There's some interesting stuff by @will on the decware forums about 'riding the gain'. I don't fully understand, but I think it's to do with fine tuning how much the pre- and power- amps contribute relatively of their individual signature to the final sound. I don't think it matters whether the pre is tube, SS or unknown alien technology! It's more to do with the gain controls of e.g. the csp2 I think. Btw, the latter and the zstage will uses have a lot of voltage range, easily more than the 3-4V the taboo II likes to see.

According to Steve Deckert a point of difference of taboo iii is he raised the gain so a preamp isn't needed - and Frank found as much in his review. See Steve's thread on decware where he first announced the new amp for that and other interesting stuff.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #458 of 2,112
Quote:
Quote:
So far with the HD800's in SE I prefer Old Lucid mode over New or Lucid Off. The Mullard EL84's. USAF-596 and Genelax 6922 are workin' it and I finally found the combined settings for pairing up the CSP2+ and the Taboo MK III for my ears.

Whew.......Sounds awesome though!

You're a week or two ahead of me. I'm still trying to burn-in the stock tubes so I can hear their true sound before rolling. I'm glad I resisted the urge to roll on day 1. The stock tubes, after less than a week, have already started to blossom. Listening to this amp is a blast.

Steve picks great and affordable stock tubes!

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #459 of 2,112
Quote:
Depends upon the headphones but I find the Bifrost too limiting with the HD800. Concero is the cheapest DAC I've found which does it justice.

Quote:
I agree with Nick. Whereas I found the bifrost close overall to stagedac and eastern electric dacs with Meier concerto, vioolectric v100 or lyr as the amps, it fell behind when taboo entered the frame, sounding muddy and distant with harmonically complex material (e.g. Piano with dense chord structures). Either this was synergy, or taboo has much greater resolution and transparency. Either way...

Otoh, I've ordered the new 'uber' output board upgrade for the bifrost. It's based on the gungnir's output stage. Could be interesting.

There's some interesting stuff by @will on the decware forums about 'riding the gain'. I don't fully understand, but I think it's to do with fine tuning how much the pre- and power- amps contribute relatively of their individual signature to the final sound. I don't think it matters whether the pre is tube, SS or unknown alien technology! It's more to do with the gain controls of e.g. the csp2 I think. Btw, the latter and the zstage will uses have a lot of voltage range, easily more than the 3-4V the taboo II likes to see.

According to Steve Deckert a point of difference of taboo iii is he raised the gain so a preamp isn't needed - and Frank found as much in his review. See Steve's thread on decware where he first announced the new amp for that and other interesting stuff.

Great, Thanks for the reply.  I will need to look into the Concero it seems.  I am also debating the Bifrost updates.  Waiting for some reviews on the update.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #460 of 2,112
My über board just shipped - likely two weeks to nz though. I have some very specific listening tests to repeat, three other dacs and an spl meter in the house. I'm keen to update my review, fwiw. Don't have a lot of spare time, but should be able to settle a few key points.

Judging by the Concero thread, it's a lot of dac for the money.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #461 of 2,112
Quote:
My über board just shipped - likely two weeks to nz though. I have some very specific listening tests to repeat, three other dacs and an spl meter in the house. I'm keen to update my review, fwiw. Don't have a lot of spare time, but should be able to settle a few key points.

Judging by the Concero thread, it's a lot of dac for the money.

popcorn.gif

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #462 of 2,112
In case anyone was wondering, this is what the new Taboo looks like playing Mahler (5).  Sorry for the crappy mobile phone pic.

Also, I didn't think I like the volume knob as much as I do, but I like it quite a bit.

Apr 30, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #463 of 2,112
Quote:
In case anyone was wondering, this is what the new Taboo looks like playing Mahler (5).  Sorry for the crappy mobile phone pic.

Also, I didn't think I like the volume knob as much as I do, but I like it quite a bit.

Very nice.  Mine is in QC testing now!!!  WOOHOO!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back