The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
May 31, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #2,086 of 2,112
Concerning volume controls, one of the old hands over on the Decware forums used to "ride the gain", meaning he would use both volume controls. Configuring the preamp and Taboo differently gave him the flexibility to dial in a desired 'sound' more easily by adjusting the relative levels. Easier than rolling tubes I guess!

I have a vague recollection Steve Deckert may have described the idea in one of his papers a long time back.

I tried it and it works.

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #2,087 of 2,112
Kind of a newbie to the tube world.

I want to add some sound into my setup. I hope I can get some advice from this thread.

I am considering two options, CSP3 as a preamp, or Taboo mk3/mk4 as a tube amp.

If CSP3 as a preamp is enough to add the tube "magic", I will settle then. I wonder if Taboo can be a good choice for a separate tube amp.

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #2,088 of 2,112
Most of the cans in your list will actually sound great direct into the CSP3. I have a CSP3 and a Taboo MK4. My Eikons sound awesome in either. The same is true of the high-impedance German cans. The Mk4's new lucid mode is pretty fun though. I've never fed the CSP3 into the MK4 because I have balanced inputs on the Taboo.

PS - I also know Zack @ ZMF says he likes to demo the CSP3 in front of solid state amps to add the magic... I'd guess that's a good place to start.

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #2,089 of 2,112
You will need the extra power of the Taboo if you plan on using planar headphones like the LCD2 or Ether Flow, for example. If you just want to power dynamic headphones like the HD800, then the CSP3 is fine. Also, if you plan to use this for high efficiency speakers, you will need an amp, not a preamp. My Taboo does double duty with my Omega speakers and I love it.

Sep 8, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #2,090 of 2,112
I think @bearwarrior was looking to add tube magic to existing amps more than power planars...
That said the Taboo does make Omegas sing.

You will need the extra power of the Taboo if you plan on using planar headphones like the LCD2 or Ether Flow, for example. If you just want to power dynamic headphones like the HD800, then the CSP3 is fine. Also, if you plan to use this for high efficiency speakers, you will need an amp, not a preamp. My Taboo does double duty with my Omega speakers and I love it.

Sep 8, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #2,091 of 2,112
Thanks, guys!

I hope someone has CSP3 available to sell. I do not want to wait for a couple of months when I order from Decware website.

Sep 8, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #2,092 of 2,112
Hi @chengdigger thanks for the comments. You are correct, though I'm never really sure what a poster like that actually intends when they talk about adding "extra sound" to their set up. Who knows what that means! So I tried to keep it general.

Anyway, how do you like the Taboo IV? I have lately been considering upgrading to the IV since it has the UFO transformers, and I would also get it with the upgraded caps, which mine does not have. Have you ever compared it head-to-head with a III?

@bearwarrior - you can find some neat gear for sale on the Decware classifieds forum. Good luck in your search!

Sep 8, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #2,093 of 2,112
@doukhobar I've been happy w/ the MK4. I actually ordered a MK3 and the MK4 was announced shortly before my build started. I think i have something like SN3. I got the balanced inputs and upgraded caps. UFO transformers are very nice. My first experience w/ the UFOs was with my Torii.

I've never put them head to head. So I can't really say of the change is worth it. However other big difference is that the lucid mode on the mk4 is much improved and can work across a wide range of impedance (speakers through 600ohm beyers). The clutch part of the new systems, though, is the magic lucid dial. It lets you dial in the effect to the appropriate level for the source. So, if you think lucid is a worthwhile thing on the mk3, then you'd more than likely see a big difference.

Sep 8, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #2,094 of 2,112
Balanced Inputs - nice. I actually just received a ZBIT but have not had the chance to test it out yet. I was thinking about getting balanced inputs installed on an amp, but after talking to Steve, it seems there was not a distinct advantage to the transforms being installed in the amp, vs. getting a ZBIT and being able to use balanced inputs for any amp or preamp - except one less cable. So hence that decision. But still - really nice amp!

That is cool you like the adjustable lucid mode. Thanks for the feedback on that. I am not sure how I feel about the Lucid mode switch on the III. I find myself setting it and forgetting it. It seems to make things a bit 'louder' here or there, not particularly mind blowing to me most of the time. I guess if it was one the front face I would play with it more. You like the separate volume controls? Don't mind having to adjust each one individually and/or simultaneously to get balanced volume increases? I'm glad you like the UFO transformers. Which Torii do you have - a IV? I've been offered a Torii Jr with UFO transforms. It is the latest build version offered to me for sub $2k. I am trying to device if I want that, or something else. I have Omega and Decware speakers, so it would probably be great. My Decware ERR speakers are only 92-93db and could use a little more power than my other amps provide (about 5-10W max). The other amp I am considering is the new Aficionado by EC. It appears to be about 2.5W similar to the Taboo in power and also having speaker jacks. It is a 2A3 amp. I like that is has both headphone and speaker taps for versatility. Only downside is it wouldn't do much for me ERR speakers, but would be great on the Omegas and also with headphones, which I rarely listen to anymore - about 1 hr per week. I usually listen to the ERR speakers because I don't have to be in the listening position to enjoy them as much as I ahve to be with the Omegas.

Penny for your thoughts? Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #2,095 of 2,112
@doukhobar Yeah, the ZBIT is a good option. I guess you get more wire in the signal path but a lot more flexibility and adjustment. My taboo is at my desk and directly connected to a balanced DAC.

It's really hard to explain the adjustable lucid mode. It's almost like a focus knob. I have a lytro light field camera that lets you focus the image after the picture is taken. I think this is best thing to compare lucid to.

I actually have a Torii Jr w/ the UFOs and kicked up caps. It's sick. It replaced a home-built 300B amp. I've got it hooked up to a pair of Zu's. I will say that the CSP3 really helps the Torii Jr. Getting that input voltage dialed in makes all the difference.

Re: the dual volume controls -- I was already used to it w/ the Torii, but I appreciate the dual controls on the Taboo. It's especially noticeable w/ headphones. You can make microadjustments. I have omegas connected to the taboo at my desk. it's nice being able to 'balance' the levels because the speakers are positioned asymmetrically. The one thing I continue to wish for on the Taboo is a speaker tap bypass switch. I know it adds an element to the signal path, but I tend to use heavy spade connectors and it's a PITA to connect/remove the speaker cables. I finally gave up and put some banana plugs on the amp end of the cable, but it's my one gripe.

Sep 15, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #2,097 of 2,112
Mar 15, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #2,098 of 2,112
Edited: The MK III has a special something that I find addictive. I agree with those in the Decware forum who recommend the Mullard CV593 (not shown in photo). Also, Telefunken EL84 are spectacular with this amp.

decware taboo mk iii.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #2,099 of 2,112
Hi ,,
guys anybody using this amp (mk4) with HD800S or Audio Technica ADX5000 which both has high impedance 300/400 ?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #2,100 of 2,112
Hi ,,
guys anybody using this amp (mk4) with HD800S or Audio Technica ADX5000 which both has high impedance 300/400 ?
High impedance headphones are no problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back