The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Mar 6, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #2,026 of 2,112
Congrats! I have happily owned the CSP and Taboo (version 2 of both) for many years and have had no desire to change them. Hps to get the most time are LCD 2.1, LCD 3F and recently HD 800 (not the S).

The Grado RS-1 can sound pretty good from the Taboo and the CSP2 was the first amp to make the Beyerdynamic T1 'come alive' for me.

My one likely change is upstream - I see a Schiit multi-bit DAC of some kind in my future this year.

Enjoy :beerchug:

I finally got my Decware headphone setup complete. 

FLAC > Neutral cable USB (blue) > Audio-gd Master 7 (USB32) > Avanti Allegro > Decware CSP3 (3) Mullard CV2493 (1) RCA 5Y3GT > Decware Taboo III (1) Mullard CV2493 (2) 6P15P-EV (1) Mullard GZ34 "DD" > Aphrodite Zeus [COLOR=002060]Quad21 OCC Series 7 > Audeze LCD 2.2[/COLOR]

[COLOR=002060]Sounds pretty darn good![/COLOR]

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #2,027 of 2,112
I have enjoyed the Taboo CSP2+ combination for years now.  I like the sound and the concise soundstage they offer with my Heresy III speakers.  The difference tube quality makes is apparent with these two Decware amplifiers.  The amps look awesome with my Thorens TD-124 turntable, Ortofon SPU cartridge, and Ortofon RMG 312 tonearm.  I like to use my LCD2 headphones as a reference for sound, they transmit much lower bass frequencies than my speakers, or Quad ESL 57's for that matter.  

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #2,028 of 2,112

That's great and congratulations!
Now for an even bigger step up in the sound quality of your system, I will suggest that you change the fuses in your CSP3 and Taboo MKIII to Audio Horizon Platinum Reference fuses and install a WA QUANTUM fuse chip in each of the fuse. My jaw just dropped after doing this and can not believe the increase in the resolution of the sound.

Sounds like a plan...

Quote:
  I also changed all my rca interconnects to Decware Silver Reference and got another boost in the SQ department.

I have used the Decware Silver Reference interconnects in my main system but like the Avanti Allegro better.  Overall a better balance.  However, I will give them a try with my headphone system in the future but right now I am enjoying the music!

Quote:
Congrats! I have happily owned the CSP and Taboo (version 2 of both) for many years and have had no desire to change them. Hps to get the most time are LCD 2.1, LCD 3F and recently HD 800 (not the S).

The Grado RS-1 can sound pretty good from the Taboo and the CSP2 was the first amp to make the Beyerdynamic T1 'come alive' for me.

My one likely change is upstream - I see a Schiit multi-bit DAC of some kind in my future this year.

Enjoy
beerchug.gif

I have ran a CSP2 with Beyerdynamic DT880/600 phones for many years.  It was a solid and very enjoyable setup.  I've also rotated the CSP2 into my main system as a preamp and was floored with the performance.  A giant killer!  I was so impressed I picked up a CSP3 for the main system and ran it for several months until I picked up a Modwright (which is a whole new chapter!). 

Of course a great DAC makes all this possible!  For me I don't think the Master 7 can be beat...
  I have enjoyed the Taboo CSP2+ combination for years now.  I like the sound and the concise soundstage they offer with my Heresy III speakers.  The difference tube quality makes is apparent with these two Decware amplifiers.  The amps look awesome with my Thorens TD-124 turntable, Ortofon SPU cartridge, and Ortofon RMG 312 tonearm.  I like to use my LCD2 headphones as a reference for sound, they transmit much lower bass frequencies than my speakers, or Quad ESL 57's for that matter.  

The CSP3 combined with the Taboo does add more thickness to the music compared to the Taboo III alone.  I have not tried the Taboo driving speakers yet.  I use a pair of ADS L420 speakers in my office system so I will see how the little set can drive them sometime in the future.  I also have a Decware ZP3 I use with a VPI Classic one and Dynavector 20x2L with a Bob's devices SUT in my main system.  The ZP3 is a great phono stage!

Mar 21, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #2,029 of 2,112
I have dilemma whether to buy deckware taboo mk3 or QUAD Pa One Head amp for my LCD 2.2. Im gonna use it with my macbook pro (amarra symphony) to my Chord Mojo DAC.
Does anyone here have compared those amplifier throroughly ? Really need help and advice here. Really appreciate any answer..
Thanks guys

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #2,030 of 2,112
@rediazvh I have not heard the QUAD Pa One but having browsed its features I understand your dilemma. Both have similar key goals ("uncoloured sound") and features (both very tube-rollable meaning you can color the sound to preference, if you want to!). A quick look at a few reviews - one dubiously referred to tube amps as "warm" - shows the Quad is very responsive to better tubes, as is the Taboo.

It appears to have a built-in DAC? So some of your money will go on a feature you won't use?

It appears to put out 500mW at 32-ohms? IIRC this is significantly less than Decware's Taboo range. The mk2 which I have puts some 2W into the LCD2.1 (50 ohms).

I'm not sure I agree but both Audeze's advice and prevailing head-fi wisdom is that - though you will never use the full power unless you want to lose your hearing :eek: - the lower-Z LCDs need around 2W at their nominal impedance.

As well the Taboo brilliantly drives high-efficiency speakers, single-driver or 2-way speakers (French Triangle Scalenes in my case). The Lucid mode really does provide highly focused sound-stage and imaging.

If none of the above are a concern then on paper I think either would be a fine choice.

Mar 22, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #2,031 of 2,112
I would echo Argo Duck's advice. I have also not heard the Quad, but I own the Taboo Mk III. To me, if you for some reason you need digital inputs, then the Quad in this price range might be the clear choice. But if you don't need those inputs, then why pay for them? I can wholeheartedly recommend the Taboo/LCD combo. Using the stock tubes, it is an outstanding combination.

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #2,032 of 2,112
@Argo Duck @Pale Rider Wow thanks  for the insight! it gave me some idea now to choose. i can't agree more on the DAC part. As for DAC, I Already have IFI Micro IDSD and Chord Mojo. No need built in DAC for my case. 

The Problem is that i only can do audition for the Quad Pa One, Becasue There's no Deckware Importir in my country 
triportsad.gif
 for me the Quad Sounds Ok. yet it sounds too bright and less warm. Somehow in the middle of listening session, I feel a tad of fatigueness. but mostly it sounds awesome.

Based on the impression of Decware taboo 3 sounds character in this thread, seems that Deckware has the sound that i wanted. 

Anyway Thanks a lot for the answer, really appreciate it. 

cheers!

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #2,033 of 2,112
Well old Mullards really like the Taboo III !  Using my Audio-gd Reference 5.32 and LCD 2.2, Aphrodite Zeus Series 7 Quad 21 cable, Mullard CV2493 (true NOS), Mullard EL84s (true NOS) and Mullard GZ34 DD (original from my 299C) the results are very impressive!  Detail and transparency are up.  Upper mid range comes forward a bit.  Some have said the EL84 is soft compared to the 6P15P-EV but I only found this true when using a 5Y3 rectifier.  Using the GZ34 rectifier really makes the EL84s come alive.  However, the 6P15P-EV combined with a 5Y3 sounds pretty darn good.  I found the GZ34 combined with the 6P15P-EV was a little too much and sounded a little edgy and less balanced overall. 

May 11, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #2,035 of 2,112
I recently picked one of these up, starting to get familiar with the sound. I do have a question for those of you that have owned this for a while. 

The instruction manual does not seem to indicate which way the two lucid switches turn the feature on or off. 

Is the switches toggled toward the front of the unit off?

Thank you in advance.

May 11, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #2,036 of 2,112
To toggle Lucid Modes 'On' you have to move the switches towards the tubes.

May 11, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #2,037 of 2,112
  To toggle Lucid Modes 'On' you have to move the switches towards the tubes.

Thank you, since the tubes are towards what I would consider the front, it means I had a weird combination since both were on, when I first started listening, I will switch them both to the back to get a good feeling for the sound out of the amp with different headphones before I start to turn those on then.

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #2,038 of 2,112
I have unfortunately had to sell my decware taboo mk3 
frown.gif

Over time I managed to build up a nice tube collection that worked unbelievably well with the taboo mk3.

If anybody is interested in some very rare tubes then please check out the following for sale threads and feel free to contact me:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/809918/rectifier-tubes-western-electric-274b-amperex-mullard-5ar4-gz34-metal-base-cossor-53ku
http://www.head-fi.org/t/809919/cca-input-tubes-telefunken-amperex-amperex-pinch-waist-siemens
http://www.head-fi.org/t/809920/output-tubes-matched-pairs-amperex-7189-amperex-1950s-el84-telefunken-el84

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #2,040 of 2,112
^ :confused: that post of estreeter's was 3 years old!

But anyway...don't know about the mkIII but it's surprising what the mkII will drive, even inefficient (85dBA/1W/1m) 2-way speakers did well near-field.

90dBA 3-way speakers, not so much. Cross-over complexity may be a factor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back