The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Jun 26, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #736 of 2,115
By coincidence, or maybe not, my Philips EL84's just came in.  I've been listening for the last half hour or so.  I'm pleased.  So far everything sounds the way I want.  Oh, I also got LCD-3's last week.

So as it stands my Taboo Mk3 setup is 2x Philips EL84, 1 Philips 5R4GYS, and 1 Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8.

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #737 of 2,115
Quote:
By coincidence, or maybe not, my Philips EL84's just came in.  I've been listening for the last half hour or so.  I'm pleased.  So far everything sounds the way I want.  Oh, I also got LCD-3's last week.

So as it stands my Taboo Mk3 setup is 2x Philips EL84, 1 Philips 5R4GYS, and 1 Amperex Orange Globe 6DJ8.

I like that tube combo! How are the LCD-3's?

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #738 of 2,115
I like that tube combo! How are the LCD-3's?

These EL84's should be mandatory. They sound great.

LCD-3's sound pretty amazing here. More detailed bass and better highs. Everything is in better balance. The Taboo MK3 drives them with plenty of oomph. It's hard to imagine this is going to get better when I get the CSP2+ in a couple months. But yeah, I don't see my LCD-2's getting much use any time soon.

Jun 27, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #739 of 2,115
^ good to hear. LCD 3 along with a new dac will be my next purchase. Congrats!

Jun 27, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #740 of 2,115
Guys I stil  have 3 Bugle Boys l, 3 Genelex 6922, 3 Matsusita tunes and 8 6N1  ne wtibes never used all for sale and reduced prices on all. see my for sale add. Looking for some 12 AU7 and 12AX7 for a 2A3 speaker amp,. If anyone interested.

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #741 of 2,115
^ good to hear. LCD 3 along with a new dac will be my next purchase. Congrats!

Thanks. I'm hoping this gets me closer to the elusive goal of having and "end game" setup.

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #744 of 2,115
OK, you guys got my curiosity going...
blink.gif

My MKIII is currently stock (6N1P-EV, 6P15P-EV/SV83, and Valve Art 274B).
Total noob here...
Can you recommend a set-up that would give me some more punch in low and mid bass?  Or do I need to go read the tube rolling threads and figure this out on my own?

Where is a good place to find the tubes you guys mentioned already above?

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #745 of 2,115

Here is a little mini review/impressions of some of the 6DJ8/6922 tubes I have used with the Taboo.
This is the first thing I have written like this concerning audio equipment so I hope this doesn't turn out too terribly!

Stock Tubes (not sure what brand they are)
-Honestly these tubes are pretty good which was a surprise to me.
-My Woo Audio WA2 stock tubes were garbage and all had to be replaced for it to reach it's full potential so this tube being good was a nice surpise!
-Detail is pretty good, their weakest part is probably instrument separation, everything is a tad muddled together compared to some of the other tubes.

JJ E88CC/6DJ8 Gold Pins
-These were probably the worst tubes with my WA2, and they continue that trend with the Taboo.
-These did not dig as deep as the stock tubes nor have as much bass impact.
-Less treble extension as well
-Detail retrieval is average at best.
-I bought these for probably 30 something dollars and for that price there are just much better tubes out there.

Amperex 6DJ8 Bugle Boys
-These have a vaulted reputation among tube rollers, and for good reason!
-Like removing a veil from the JJ's, some clarity!
-Great bass extension and impact, slightly more muddled compared to the stock tubes though.
-Instrument separation is much improved
-Compared to the stock and JJ tubes these were much more "fun", it was easier to really get into the music.

Amperex 6DJ8 Orange Globes
-These were my favorite tubes with the WA2 and are probably my favorite Amperex tube that I have heard
-These tubes are mid monsters and really bring them forward.
-Having said that the pronounced mids make the bass seem slightly less impactful compared to the bugle boys, however there is none of the muddled feeling I heard the the Bugle Boys.
-These have a very "airy" treble that is a joy to listen to.
-These have more detail than any of the previous tubes to my ears.
-Highly recommended!

JAN Sylvania 6922 Gold Pins Green Label
-In my opinion the best tube for the Taboo.
-Very Linear with the best treble of all these tubes
-Probably slightly less bass impact than the Orange Globes or the Bugle boys, but maybe a smidge more detailed/sharp.
-These have the best instrument separation and detail retrieval and is their strongest quality IMO
-These make the JJ's sound like they are slogging through mud so to speak.
-While the mids are not as pronounced as the Orange Globes they have a more realistic presentation of the music.

Hope this helps with some of the tube rolling, I'll try to update this as I get to spend even more time with these tubes.

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #746 of 2,115
Quote:
blink.gif

Total noob here...
Can you recommend a set-up that would give me some more punch in low and mid bass?  Or do I need to go read the tube rolling threads and figure this out on my own?

I was actually working on this when you posted. Hope it helps!

Jun 27, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #747 of 2,115
Jun 27, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #748 of 2,115
Quote:
blink.gif

Total noob here...

Which headphones are you using again?

Upscale Audio has a lot of nice tubes.

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #749 of 2,115
Quote:
I was actually working on this when you posted. Hope it helps!

Awesome, Thanks,  down the rabbit hole I go...
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Here's a retailer that was recommended to me ,by another Taboo owner:,and today just got delivery of this tube:

http://www.nostubestore.com/2010/06/rca-5y3gt-black-plates.html?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

His tech support was great,and fast
Also,shipping was about 1 week..
Most tubes are NOS,& Military stock,some new.,never opened,but always tested before being shipped

Hope this helps,
Mike

Great!! Thanks...I was actually there and not sure about them...

Jun 27, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #750 of 2,115
Quote:
Which headphones are you using again?

Upscale Audio has a lot of nice tubes.

HD800 mostly, HE-500 sometimes, and rarely HD650 and SR325is.  All types of music (flac from my oppo 103 and laptop), movies, games, etc...Bifrost as Dac, so far anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back