The Decware TABOO MK 111 Thread
Jun 3, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #691 of 2,115
Oh the torture.  A week after ordering and I'm still on page 6.  And even though I know it's going to take months I still check the list every day.  
size]

Anyway, I'd also love to hear some comparisons of the LCD-2 and LCD-3 on this amp.  I'll probably get an Audeze at some point, and am even considering going all-out and just getting the LCD-3 if it's a good match.  

Jun 3, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #692 of 2,115
Quote:
Oh the torture.  A week after ordering and I'm still on page 6.  And even though I know it's going to take months I still check the list every day.  
size]

I hear you. I have just done my daily round only to see there was no movement since Friday. Still stuck on page 2. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #693 of 2,115
I've been eyeing up your LCD-2 ad by the way.  But again, I'm now thinking of holding out for the LCD-3. 
size]

Jun 5, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #695 of 2,115
Quote:
page 5 here, I tell myself not check, but I can't help myself 
noticed 17 taboos ordered in may, going to be along wait !

Long wait, yes!...But well worth it...
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #696 of 2,115
For those of you interested, I had a nice conversation with Steve Deckert about the ZP3 (phonostage), in which he failed to keep me from ordering one.  Anyway, he says the ZP3 is a good match for the Taboo and also a good match for those who have the Ortofon 2M Black cartridge.

So the wait list watching begins again, this time for a ZP3 and CSP2+.  BTW, they'll start offering black as a chassis (top plate) option for the CSP2+ in about a month.

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #697 of 2,115
Quote:
For those of you interested, I had a nice conversation with Steve Deckert about the ZP3 (phonostage), in which he failed to keep me from ordering one.  Anyway, he says the ZP3 is a good match for the Taboo and also a good match for those who have the Ortofon 2M Black cartridge.

So the wait list watching begins again, this time for a ZP3 and CSP2+.  BTW, they'll start offering black as a chassis (top plate) option for the CSP2+ in about a month.

Nice! You will have the whole family 
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #700 of 2,115
DM945's arrive at the house tomorrow!  
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #702 of 2,115
Taboo owners.  I am one of you again
biggrin.gif
.  I had the MKII and now MKIII.

I purchased Frank's Taboo.  Arrived today.  Nothing but praise for Frank.  Something got jostled during shipping.  Maybe a screw loose on the inside.  Sounds metallic but I don't know.  The amp plays fine, no problems.  Would any of you worry about something shorting or is it not likely based on the topology?  I don't know the guts of the Taboo.  I don't even know if it is possible for me to open it up simply by removing all screws or does one have to be more careful.  I'm not worried about warranty here by removing the top since I don't have one.  Left a note for Steve but it's already too late for a response.  I could just not think about the loose part but how many of us are really like that?  Sounds great though, more on the sound later.  I need to go through this thread. 

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #703 of 2,115
Guys, just read a very well written review of the MrSpeakers' modified Fostex Mad Dogs (the Fostex T50rp), by our very own Frank I. Being orthos, he naturally tried them with the Taboo. Looks like it was a great match...hmm, tempting (nope, I've got enough headphones :D)

Review here.

WNBC, congrats. You know you can get the Taboo checked by Decware and a new lifetime warranty issued right? About $70 iirc.

Very tightly picked inside, judging from photos of earlier Taboos' internals (6 Moons site I think)...I'd wait for Steve's advice if I were you!

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #704 of 2,115
Quote:
Taboo owners.  I am one of you again
biggrin.gif
.  I had the MKII and now MKIII.

I purchased Frank's Taboo.  Arrived today.  Nothing but praise for Frank.  Something got jostled during shipping.  Maybe a screw loose on the inside.  Sounds metallic but I don't know.  The amp plays fine, no problems.  Would any of you worry about something shorting or is it not likely based on the topology?  I don't know the guts of the Taboo.  I don't even know if it is possible for me to open it up simply by removing all screws or does one have to be more careful.  I'm not worried about warranty here by removing the top since I don't have one.  Left a note for Steve but it's already too late for a response.  I could just not think about the loose part but how many of us are really like that?  Sounds great though, more on the sound later.  I need to go through this thread. 

Welcome back to the club WNBC! If the amp is just sitting there and working OK, then it should be fine. Probably a good idea to call Steve just to make sure. The MK III is a nice step up from the previous Taboo's.

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #705 of 2,115
Feels good to be back.  After a short stint in the portable world I am ready for the big rigs again.

In regards to the Taboo, it could be a rookie mistake on my part.  I tightened the speaker posts and haven't heard anything since.  Either the potentially loose component is snug now or what I was hearing was a loose post.  If I could take a quick peek inside it would give me peace of mind but I may just forget about it for now.

Taboo is really doing the TH-600s justice.  The new lucid mode is amazing.  Because I have a different DAC and headphones it will be difficult for me to compare to my previous MKII w/ VCaps.  That was a standout amp as well.  This MKIII is sharp looking with the gauges and extra inputs.  

Need to read up on all the 6922 variants for the input tubes the MKIII can accept.  I am going to assume there is talk about tube rolling in these 47 pages.

Quote:
WNBC, congrats. You know you can get the Taboo checked by Decware and a new lifetime warranty issued right? About $70 iirc.

Very tightly picked inside, judging from photos of earlier Taboos' internals (6 Moons site I think)...I'd wait for Steve's advice if I were you!

Quote:
Welcome back to the club WNBC! If the amp is just sitting there and working OK, then it should be fine. Probably a good idea to call Steve just to make sure. The MK III is a nice step up from the previous Taboo's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back