The decline of the wool coat
Dec 10, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #16 of 30
Doc Marten shoe company now has a vegan Oxford shoe and it's probably strong since they are a reputable shoe company.

Another thread altogether, but only by name.  Since they produce 99.99% of their shoes in China and similar places, their widely known quality has gone down the sink, IMO.  They do have a few models that are made in UK for the sake of tradition, but at crazy prices (around $300).  Mine are 25 yrs old, made in UK, and and every now and then I'll wear them more for nostalgic reasons.  A friend of mine has those $300 pair and he agreed that the materials and construction is better on mine than his, despite the heavy wear on mine.

Back to the wool coat topic, my Peacoat and Docs makes an outstanding attire pair.

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #17 of 30
thank you spareribs. you said what I needed to. $300 is not  a lot for shoes these days unfortunately. nike makes some. in the trash after one summer. back in the day I used to wear out running shoes every month but they were like $30 then. not $300. new balance makes a $400 pair. not at all vegan but I do admire those. saw them. the quality is impeccable.

peacoat not really snazzy imo. like the grey dress ones. incidentally you can get them in polyester too. I like kangol. most of theirs is poly some wool. mostly made in uk still.

doc martin going to china blows. go get martin dingman gators couture and like 10 grand! 

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #18 of 30
  thank you spareribs. you said what I needed to. $300 is not  a lot for shoes these days unfortunately. nike makes some. in the trash after one summer. back in the day I used to wear out running shoes every month but they were like $30 then. not $300. new balance makes a $400 pair. not at all vegan but I do admire those. saw them. the quality is impeccable.

peacoat not really snazzy imo. like the grey dress ones. incidentally you can get them in polyester too. I like kangol. most of theirs is poly some wool. mostly made in uk still.

doc martin going to china blows. go get martin dingman gators couture and like 10 grand! 

If you want comfortable shoes, choose a model that is US Postal Service approved. The US Postal Service tests walking shoes each year, and chooses the ones that perform best based on criteria such as resistance to slipping, comfort, and being least likely to cause foot injuries with extensive usage. I think  there are around 25 or so models from a few manufacturers that are USPS approved. I first bought the New Balance Postal shoes in the 90s when I saw some irregular ones at very low prices. The store had bought irregulars very cheaply, however I noticed with most pairs only one shoe was irregular, and the store let me swap shoes between the pairs, so I ended up with first quality shoes at irregular prices. Anyway, these were by far the most comfortable shoes I ever owned. They were very lightweight, yet offered plenty of cushioning and support. They are similar to the Rockport Prowalker 7100, but much better. The New Balance Postal shoes are made in the US, and for that reason, and their great performance  other unions also use these with their uniforms. No, I am not a member of any union.

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #19 of 30
I know you are right but I don't think the nb are vegan. unfortunately I am relegated to shoes that suck because of that. not sure if their flagship model is usps certified but it is Medicare diabetes coded. yeah, that's what our country is paying for go figure. postal workers certainly put in their walking so they would no doubt know good ones I am sure. just probably not vegan. unless they offer a choice for those workers that are vegan. come to think of it they must. I will look into it.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #20 of 30
  I know you are right but I don't think the nb are vegan. unfortunately I am relegated to shoes that suck because of that. not sure if their flagship model is usps certified but it is Medicare diabetes coded. yeah, that's what our country is paying for go figure. postal workers certainly put in their walking so they would no doubt know good ones I am sure. just probably not vegan. unless they offer a choice for those workers that are vegan. come to think of it they must. I will look into it.

None of the postal shoes are vegan. One requirement to be  USPS approved is that the shoes must have a leather upper.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #21 of 30
Real, wool pea coats are worn by everyone on the street, in NYC.  I do have to say though, they definitely have less utility than the waxed cotton military jackets that are so popular in late fall.

Dec 13, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #22 of 30
Yeah, People in NYC tend to dress more stylish than in the suburbs. Out in the suburbs, wool coats tend to be more rare and it's a lot of the gore tex or polyester type jackets. It's actually rare to see a coat in the suburbs because most people are in heated cars. 

Some purists will criticize that wearing a waxed cotton jacket in a city is a fashion faux pas and should be worn out in the country like how the royal family do it in England. 

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #23 of 30
Ironically, those same purists are the ones wearing brogued balmorals with light-wash jeans and a contrasting sport coat.  Those shoes were made my Scots to promote water drainage in bogs, the jeans were initially designed as work wear and the jacket was designed for sporting events that involved horse-back riding.

For shame.

Dec 13, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #24 of 30
Good point.

One thing that makes me laugh in the suburbs is that since most people don't wear standard warm coats due to the heated cars, there will be situations where they will have to park at a crowded mall parking lot and park far from the mall building due to lack of available parking spaces near the entrance.

As a result, it becomes a freezing painful walk across the huge parking lot as people battle the elements of the freeze. Personally, I love the harsh winter even though most people hate it.

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #25 of 30
I've also seen tourists in New Yrok not being properly prepared and wearing a light jacket in the winter and freezing with agony. Some people don't realize how brutlally cold NYC can be in the winter as they seem to forget that NYC is near cold bodies of water which show no mercy.

Dec 14, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #26 of 30
I've also seen tourists in New Yrok not being properly prepared and wearing a light jacket in the winter and freezing with agony. Some people don't realize how brutlally cold NYC can be in the winter as they seem to forget that NYC is near cold bodies of water which show no mercy.

Huh? The nearby water helps keep the temperature warmer in the winter, and cooler in the summer. The population density(many heated buildings and paved streets) also help keep the weather warmer than in desrted areas at the same lattitude.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #27 of 30
Perhaps but there are some areas that deceptive and let me explain.

If you walk around mid town, it can be warmer. But if you stray towards 10th avenue or closer to the Hudson River, you will feel colder and feel the wind more and it can be brutal.

Also when you down closer to the bay towards the World Trade Center, it can be brutally cold but feel warmer as you get back to Times Square. The worst is when you are just a few feet from the water of Upper New York Bay either on the Manhattan side or the New Jersey side near Liberty island.

Being near the water can make it feel insanely cold to the point that you feel it piercing your skin.

Also even in midtown, where it can feel warmer it can also be deceptive, you can walk through an area where the buildings are blocking the wind. But once you pass the blocked area and the wind hits you, you can feel the insane freeze and it's like being ambushed with the deep freeze. But you are right about the buildings since snow melts faster in mid town compared to Greenwich Village.

Other areas of New York that are horrible in the winter is in the outer boroughs on the platforms of the elevated trains where you are exposed to the wind and water air more.

The winter in New York can be very pleasant too but it can turn on you and show no mercy. A coat is a must own.

You do make good points though, I'd rather be New York in the winter than Chicago where it is much worse.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #28 of 30
I always thought the raccoon coat fad was cool. Of course back then you could actually read Mark Twain and not be racist or even wear and animal fur to impress the ladies.

Dec 14, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #29 of 30
I always thought the raccoon coat fad was cool. Of course back then you could actually read Mark Twain and not be racist or even wear and animal fur to impress the ladies.

In the 1920s, $325 was equivalent to $6,500 today. Not many men want to spend $6,500+ for a coat.

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #30 of 30
In the 1920s, $325 was equivalent to $6,500 today. Not many men want to spend $6,500+ for a coat.

Or?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FNeErQIdpas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back