The decline of the wool coat
Dec 9, 2015 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
Back in the old days like in the 1940s or so, when it was cold, a man would wear a wool coat. These days, you don't see them as much and people are wearing the modern North Face jackets instead or other popular brands made from plastic like material

I understand the advantages of the modern jackets. Even if we are not explorers, many of us like to look like explorers with these explorer style modern jackets and coats and these types of outer wear are good quality and well made.

But overall, I still prefer the style of the old wool coats.

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 30

Yeah, it's a shame too.  Classic style never goes out of style.  It takes a little more effort to care for a wool coat than it does for one of those "inflated" nylon winter jackets.  I see people wearing them and immediately think of the Michelin Man.
It pretty much the same situation for suede jackets.  Those things are toasty in the winter much like the wool long coat.
Time marches on, I guess.

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #3 of 30
If its use really is in decline, then a simpler explanation would be a mix of global warming as well as better climate control technology in buildings and vehicles, along with work places that don't require one to be in a suit in the first place that would necessitate a coat to match it.

That said...is it? Because depending on the time of the year TV show episodes air (or for those outside the US with crappy broadcast rights holders, the time those are supposed to be taking place in), feds seem to always wear them. Take NCIS for example which is set in DC - it's not just Fornell and Vance, but come autumn and it's sure Dinozzo will be sporting his 3/4 length coat at some point, and also McGee.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 30
Yes. Wool coats have declined. If you look at old photos of winter like from the middle of the 20th century, you will notice more wool coats. You will also see more trench coats too. 

The British wore waxed cotton jackets as well.  But no one wore any of the gore tex style jackets like today. You can still see wool coats but the North Face jackets and Columbia brand jackets have exploded in popularity.

If you watch news reporters reporting from the cold weather outdoors, you never see them wearing a wool coat. It's always the modern type.

In formal situations, you will see a wool coat. Obama wears a wool style coat in the winter and I'm sure business people in New York will be seen wearing one too. 

However, in most American societies, people live in a suburb where they hop in a heated car and drive so there is little use for coats in general so they'll wear a jacket instead.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 30
Somehow I just knew it was you, Spareribs, who started the thread. 
beerchug.gif

My Navy Peacoat (genuine from prior service) will NEVER go out of style - NEVER.  I wear it on formal occasions, although rare now a days, and whenever it's unusually dry and cold here in the PNW, which is usually unusual.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #6 of 30
Even though, the wool coat is not as popular, it has evolved.

These days, there are new wool style coats where it is a mix of mostly polyester and a little bit of wool. The advantage is that it is lighter and more appropriate for days that are not too cold. But on the real cold days, the old style heavy wool coat comes in handy better.

And of course, in high end fashion, the wool coat still is king like with companies like Burberry and other British and Italian clothes companies.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 30
  Even though, the wool coat is not as popular, it has evolved.

These days, there are new wool style coats where it is a mix of mostly polyester and a little bit of wool. The advantage is that it is lighter and more appropriate for days that are not too cold. But on the real cold days, the old style heavy wool coat comes in handy better.

And of course, in high end fashion, the wool coat still is king like with companies like Burberry and other British and Italian clothes companies.

Sad fact. My Peacoat weighs 3-4 times as much as these 90%synthetic/10%wool jackets. When it comes to wool outdoor wear, it has to be 100%.

Dec 9, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #8 of 30
Wool coats are heavy and expensive, and need to be dry cleaned. I used to have one when I was in graduate school. I also typically wore wool slacks then. Modern design coats are both much lighter and much warmer, and usually machine washable. The newer design typically uses nylon for the shell so that rain drips off them and is not absorbed. The warmer ones have down feathers,  Thinsulate, Thermolite, or some other high tech, lightweight insulation. They also typically have an insulated hood. With the old style wool coats, one needs a good scarf and hat to keep their head warm. I am a fan of Thinsulate and Thermolite insulated coats, as these typically are as warm as down coats with much less bulk. Down coats typically make me look much fatter than I am.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #10 of 30
yes, in general it gave way to higher performance lower maintenance materials. the gentry will still be found wearing them.  plus lawyers, judges  and other people that need to dress sharp. in that regard it is form over function. my uncle in the navy going to wwi was just given a pea coat. standard issue in their foot locker. of course now I assure you special operators are wearing Gore-Tex. wonder what happened to that coat. I  pay it no mind as I am a vegan anyways.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #11 of 30
  yes, in general it gave way to higher performance lower maintenance materials. the gentry will still be found wearing them.  plus lawyers, judges  and other people that need to dress sharp. in that regard it is form over function. my uncle in the navy going to wwi was just given a pea coat. standard issue in their foot locker. of course now I assure you special operators are wearing Gore-Tex. wonder what happened to that coat. I  pay it no mind as I am a vegan anyways.

How do you find decent vegan shoes????? Do you wear canvas shoes, or ones made of fake leather(plastic)? Vegan belts are probably also not so great. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #12 of 30
You can get hemp rope belts that are very strong. These days, many high end bags are not leather because fake plastic leather is pretty strong like with some of the high end designer purses. In addition, it's easier to clean. That said, I'm for traditional leather. My two wallets in my collection are crocodile skin and stingray skin.

Also, the Nike Airmax sneaker is not leather and very strong. But as a traditionalist, I prefer the proper leather Oxford shoes.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #13 of 30
as spareribs said. the belts are fine with me. I wear like converse but only ones I know the glue is vegan. some are some are not. spareribs, I say this in good fun okay? those wallets are even more cruel than cow leather lol.i do have to commend you on the croc though. big $$$. LV purses have always been fake leather! real ones at least.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #14 of 30
You can get hemp rope belts that are very strong. These days, many high end bags are not leather because fake plastic leather is pretty strong like with some of the high end designer purses. In addition, it's easier to clean. That said, I'm for traditional leather. My two wallets in my collection are crocodile skin and stingray skin.

Also, the Nike Airmax sneaker is not leather and very strong. But as a traditionalist, I prefer the proper leather Oxford shoes.

It is not a matter of strength. It is a matter of function AND appearance.

How does one find a good business suit that is vegan????? Instead of wool there is silk, however silk is not vegan.

How can one find good dress shoes that are vegan?

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #15 of 30
Doc Marten shoe company now has a vegan Oxford shoe and it's probably strong since they are a reputable shoe company.

For vegan suits, you can get polyester suits. Polyester these days is excellent. Many winter hats are actually made of polyester and mimics wool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back