The decline of the forum signature
Sep 26, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #17 of 78
Think about it like your resume. You want it to be simple and organized. But it's okay if you show off a bit. =P
Did you just call me CaveMan? [Triggered] Just kidding!

Sep 26, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #20 of 78
  Anybody who's got money can fill their signature with top flight equipment, doesn't mean they're very knowledgeable and experienced in this hobby. I've seen it before here. Throwing expensive gear together is very easy if one has a lot of disposable income. But there's no guarantee that it will sound really good.

You go to a trade show and listen to a very expensive pair of big speakers go away dismayed.

You listen to the same speakers at somebody's home and get amazed at the sound.

What's the difference? At trade shows manufacturers just connect their equipment together without fine tuning the system.

At somebody's home, he continually fine tunes his system, this could take days, weeks even months.

Speaker systems are so much more complex than headphones. With headphones, you don't need to worry about setting up the room; you can just connect to a decent amp and DAC (or in some cases, just a computer or portable player) and, given the headphones and recording are good enough, you can get great sound.

Equalization is essential for both if you want a more accurate frequency response. I'm surprised how uncommon it is for headphone enthusiasts to equalize their headphones considering how common it is for speakerphiles. But I guess that's one of the few things that are more complex about headphones: with speakers, there's near-universal agreement on what constitutes a neutral measured frequency response, but with headphones, there's debate over which compensation curve is the most neutral.

Even if they're a silly who bought expensive gear without even knowing how to appreciate it, they still have experience with the gear. They don't have to be experienced to have experience, if you know what I mean. The signature should simply establish what they have. Meanwhile, post count and reputation should establish their credibility.

I defy this idea with my near 1000 posts, though.

What about people like me who've owned many, many things, but temporarily downgraded to a cheapie system? "Establishing what I have" doesn't establish much about me in this case. If I listed my current system in my signature now, it would be four figures, but with $15 headphones. (That somehow manage to be one of my favorites!)

Did you just call me CaveMan? [Triggered] Just kidding!

Yeah, lol, your user name is totally about a manta ray in a cave!
bigsmile_face.gif

Guys, got my brandy new signature up. Check it out. Very straightforward.

Oh gawd. It almost looks like you're poking fun at signatures with that.

Someone should make a signature that says, "This may be difficult to believe...but...I like headphones!" XD

Sep 26, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #21 of 78
Oh, no, Nordkapp. I can't see your signature because I'm on mobile! *Switches to desktop view* Whew, that's better. Ooh, your signature is perfect. It may not say what specific gear you have, but I can see you use a computer with CDs. That's interesting to know. You also have standalone audio equipment. Nice! This signature is also a bit silly, so it says something about your personality. Nice job!

"Establishing what I have" doesn't establish much about me in this case.

I'm sorry, Alchemist. You are a different kind of Head-Fier, a very humble one. You've heard and had some of the best, but you've stuck with the rest. Except the rest in this case is still really good stuff, underrated. A list of gear isn't really a mandatory feature of signatures, ya know? Perhaps you could have a quote poking fun at expensive cans. I dunno! Establish something! =P

PS: Yesh! It is a manta ray in a cave! From the game 'Unreal'. It's pretty cute.

Sep 26, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #23 of 78
I'm sorry, Alchemist. You are a different kind of Head-Fier, a very humble one. You've heard and had some of the best, but you've stuck with the rest. Except the rest in this case is still really good stuff, underrated. A list of gear isn't really a mandatory feature of signatures, ya know? Perhaps you could have a quote poking fun at expensive cans. I dunno! Establish something! =P

I change my signature (and avatar) depending on my mood. Reinventing yourself is fun!

Sep 26, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #26 of 78
Everyone who reads your signature will say, "He must have so much gear that he can't even list it all!" You know, you could shorten your signature even more. How about DAP>Cans? I mean, who cares about all this silly, single-tasking audio gear?

I change my signature (and avatar) depending on my mood. Reinventing yourself is fun!

I knew you were an android, or something invented by someone!

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #28 of 78
Ah what the heck-fully legit signature now that I believe I have stumbled across a truly analog like, resolute and fatigue free sound that I can live with for a long time.

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #29 of 78
Metrum Acoustics is known for their fatigue free analog sounding DACs. It's a NOS R2R trait.

Anyways, I used to have a sig, but removed it since my audio gears aren't that "braggy" lol, but the synergy I get when I connected the system is incredible to me. Never thought that a cheap flat response studio speakers sounds so fun and musical hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back