The decline of Swedish meatballs
Mar 9, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #16 of 23
I remember during heritage day in my high school freshman history class this guy bringing in a container full of Swedish meatballs. He said his grandfather was Swedish and made that batch especially for the class. I asked the differences between Swedish and Italian meatballs. He said that, aside from the sauce, that the breadcrumbs used were different, Swedish meatballs were more tightly rolled, leaving less air in the meatball, and cooking methods, as the sauces and preparation techniques are different.

Italian meatballs are more prominent in the U.S. than Swedish meatballs for various reasons. In regards to marketing, Italian meatballs have been known to stay in Italian restaurants and even made their way into American dishes, like the Subway meatball sub, whereas Swedish meatballs seem to go with Swedish furniture. There are Swedish restaurants in the U.S., but not nearly as many as Italian restaurants in the U.S. Hey, even Fiat has been taking away U.S. customers, possibly from Volvo.

Heh heh, just kidding. :wink: I do admit that I would rather order Spaghetti with Meatballs than Beef Stroganoff, as the tomato source and its antioxidants over beef sound better as a choice than that rich and baked sour cream over beef, even if the beef stroganoff is a much better tasting dish.

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #17 of 23
For me, I'm a little burned out on Italian food (Americanized Italian food that is) since I've had it so many times. I never grew up eating Swedish meatballs or beef stroganoff so it's fairly new territory for me.

I would like to see an explosion of beef stroganoff popularity like the way how chicken wings and pizza are so popular. 

It would be cool to see beef stroganoff and Russian people everywhere in every bar I go to.

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #18 of 23
For me, I'm a little burned out on Italian food (Americanized Italian food that is) since I've had it so many times. I never grew up eating Swedish meatballs or beef stroganoff so it's fairly new territory for me.

I would like to see an explosion of beef stroganoff popularity like the way how chicken wings and pizza are so popular. 

It would be cool to see beef stroganoff and Russian people everywhere in every bar I go to.

I just looked up Swedish meatball gravy and it is basically the same as beef stroganoff gravy, so they are very similar. The beef stroganoff I usually had was the hamburger helper box stuff, until I went to a New York style deli that had good Reuben sandwiches and other popular NYC dishes. I had a salad before eating the beef stroganoff dish and both were wonderful. The beef tips were prefect, the noodles went very well with the gravy, and my day was complete. However, I would not eat it every day or every week. It is something you can only enjoy once in a while, though.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #19 of 23
Good point. I think traditionally, beef stroganoff was a special occasion dish since I think meat was expensive in the old days. 

I've also read that in the old days of Russia, pork was used frequently because pork was cheaper than beef.

But in my estimation, eating potatoes and pickled vegetables  was more common to eat on a regular basis since that was probably more realistic for the budget in the northern countries.

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #20 of 23
Good point. I think traditionally, beef stroganoff was a special occasion dish since I think meat was expensive in the old days. 

I've also read that in the old days of Russia, pork was used frequently because pork was cheaper than beef.

But in my estimation, eating potatoes and pickled vegetables  was more common to eat on a regular basis since that was probably more realistic for the budget in the northern countries.

Now that I think about it, I now know more about lutefisk and its history than the history of Swedish meatballs. If anything, I wonder how Swedish meatballs follow a similar recipe to Beef Stroganoff. I just read that Swedes do have korv-stroganoff, which apparently switches sausage with beef, but they also apparently have beef stroganoff in many Nordic countries, along with Russia.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #21 of 23
Now that I think about it, I now know more about lutefisk and its history than the history of Swedish meatballs. If anything, I wonder how Swedish meatballs follow a similar recipe to Beef Stroganoff. I just read that Swedes do have korv-stroganoff, which apparently switches sausage with beef, but they also apparently have beef stroganoff in many Nordic countries, along with Russia.

Korv Stroganoff is delicious. It's usually made from Falukorv. 

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #23 of 23
  1. 500 g Minced meat
  2. 1-2 Eggs
  3. 1 Teaspoon Potato flour (you can use breadcrumbs too .. it's only to "harden/bind")
  4. Salt
  5. Pepper

Just work it in a bowl as if it was a dough.
Everything, at once.
When it's all mixed up, just roll balls out of them and fry them in a pan.

About as simple as food gets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back