The decline of Swedish meatballs
Feb 27, 2016 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
If I read correctly, Swedish meatballs were a bit of a fad or a norm in the late 1960s and 70s I think. It was served at school dances and at parties, etc....

The only time I've ever had them was at the IKEA store cafeteria. I gotta admit, I love Swedish meatballs. How could a meatball served in cream sauce go out of style? It's so good. I like it better than the tomato sauce version.

My theory on why it went out of style was because during the 80s and 90s, there was this anti fat, butter and cream campaign. The public demonized foods that were cream sauced based because of the fear of fat. Fat and cream became a public enemy or a guilty pleasure. As a result, French food unfortunately lost its golden reputation too. The lighter foods like sushi became more popular and the heavier traditional European foods went out of style.

This is a shame. I love butter and cream sauces. So dishes like beef stroganoff, fondue and Swedish meatballs were not hip anymore. Sushi was the new king

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 23
If I read correctly, Swedish meatballs were a bit of a fad or a norm in the late 1960s and 70s I think. It was served at school dances and at parties, etc....

The only time I've ever had them was at the IKEA store cafeteria. I gotta admit, I love Swedish meatballs. How could a meatball served in cream sauce go out of style? It's so good. I like it better than the tomato sauce version.

My theory on why it went out of style was because during the 80s and 90s, there was this anti fat, butter and cream campaign. The public demonized foods that were cream sauced based because of the fear of fat. Fat and cream became a public enemy or a guilty pleasure. As a result, French food unfortunately lost its golden reputation too. The lighter foods like sushi became more popular and the heavier traditional European foods went out of style.

This is a shame. I love butter and cream sauces. So dishes like beef stroganoff, fondue and Swedish meatballs were not hip anymore. Sushi was the new king
Your theory is, as I see it, sadly, correct. Liberal progressives love to demonize things, then pass laws and take them away or make it difficult to ascertain them. I like it when people get to decide their own fate. Go saturated fats, cigarettes, cigars, sugary soft drinks, cell phones while driving, bacon, charred meat, etc...........

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 23
Your theory is, as I see it, sadly, correct. Liberal progressives love to demonize things, then pass laws and take them away or make it difficult to ascertain them. I like it when people get to decide their own fate. Go saturated fats, cigarettes, cigars, sugary soft drinks, cell phones while driving, bacon, charred meat, etc...........

I also agree with Spareribs theory that this sort of food has gone out of style.  Swedish Meatballs, classic French cuisine, etc. have been swept away by the tides of fashion and fad, just as analog records and tube audio equipment have declined in favor of digital audio and transistors./microchips.  In a world dominated by MP3, high quality audio reproduction will always be more expensive and difficult (i.e. more effort required) to obtain.

I do find it strange that you think this is a political issue.  Are there statutes in R.I. outlawing this type of cuisine?  Last time I checked MacDs, BK, Crispy Creme, etc were still doing big business.  I strongly agree that you are free to make your own choices in what you eat and what vices you indulge in be it saturated fat, tobacco, alcohol or some other mind altering substances.  When laws are passed to prohibit or regulate them it is with the rationale that it is necessary for public safety or the public good (i.e. underage drinking or DUI).  Whether there any scientific basis to that necessity is certainly open to debate. In point of fact the governments puritanical and draconian laws and policies regulating (outlawing) mind altering drugs these were passed by and are currently supported not liberal progressives but largely by politically conservative forces.

So go ahead and enjoy your indulgences (I certainly enjoy mine!).  Just be aware that all these things have costs.   Many of them help to keep we in the medical community busy (cardiac and stroke intervention, trauma, etc), so far be it for me to deny you yours.

Cheers

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 23
I also agree with Spareribs theory that this sort of food has gone out of style.  Swedish Meatballs, classic French cuisine, etc. have been swept away by the tides of fashion and fad, just as analog records and tube audio equipment have declined in favor of digital audio and transistors./microchips.  In a world dominated by MP3, high quality audio reproduction will always be more expensive and difficult (i.e. more effort required) to obtain.

I do find it strange that you think this is a political issue.  Are there statutes in R.I. outlawing this type of cuisine?  Last time I checked MacDs, BK, Crispy Creme, etc were still doing big business.  I strongly agree that you are free to make your own choices in what you eat and what vices you indulge in be it saturated fat, tobacco, alcohol or some other mind altering substances.  When laws are passed to prohibit or regulate them it is with the rationale that it is necessary for public safety or the public good (i.e. underage drinking or DUI).  Whether there any scientific basis to that necessity is certainly open to debate. In point of fact the governments puritanical and draconian laws and policies regulating (outlawing) mind altering drugs these were passed by and are currently supported not liberal progressives but largely by politically conservative forces.

So go ahead and enjoy your indulgences (I certainly enjoy mine!).  Just be aware that all these things have costs.   Many of them help to keep we in the medical community busy (cardiac and stroke intervention, trauma, etc), so far be it for me to deny you yours.

Cheers
Should have known better.........sigh.

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #8 of 23

Cheers
And for the record I'm Libertarian, and my wife and I are both health professionals >25 years.

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #9 of 23
When did a law pass saying you can't enjoy French or Italian cuisine.

Considering how liberal the French are, it'll be a cold day in hell.

In Australia, we have a joke that Australia got the convicts and America got the puritans.

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #11 of 23
Wow, two quick responses--must have hit a nerve ("That was one hell of a paresthesia Doctor."  "Yeah, remind me to use the ultrasound machine next time.").
I like the humor. Sorry if I came across a little irritated. My initial comments were a knee jerk thought in response to what I see as just a people and it's govt. willing to throw away our constitutional right of self determination in favor of, as you say "public safety/personal well being". For the record, I've been involved in athletics all my life, proudly weigh what I weighed back in the 80s and do not condone doing or eating any of the above mentioned things, including Sweedish meatballs. Or at least on a regular basis. My wife is a cardiac catheterization RN so I hear about all the clogged artery stuff all day long mind you. That being said, no one, including govt. can save us from ourselves. Thats about it. Have a great day.

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #12 of 23
When did a law pass saying you can't enjoy French or Italian cuisine.

Considering how liberal the French are, it'll be a cold day in hell.

In Australia, we have a joke that Australia got the convicts and America got the puritans.

The Englishmen kept the chefs and the germans kept their smooth talking casanovas..

..why no keep your biggest assets at home?

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #15 of 23
Eh, you can still buy meatballs.

Though I heard meatballs in another scandinavian country were found to contain so little meat in terms of product legally identifiable as meat that it had to be called balls.

I don't see the appeal myself... bottom-of-the barrel meat (literally) with overseasoned sauce, bleh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back