The decline of fist fights
Jul 14, 2016 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
Back in the old days, it was easy to get into an old fashioned fist fight. Just go to a bar or some park and start an argument.

These days, people want to concentrate their fighting on the Internet. The down side is that many of us are out of shape.

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 25
Back in the day, there was a thing that existed - called honor.  Winner usually helps the loser up, dust off, and go each other separate ways with some level of mutual respect.  Doesn't exist anymore. 

Now, the double edge sword of fist fights ends with the following:
  • Assault charges and jail time followed by a civil law suit
  • AND/OR
  • You get your ass capped with a gun

The "Duke" would be rolling in his grave.

Jul 15, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 25
Back in the old days, it was easy to get into an old fashioned fist fight. Just go to a bar or some park and start an argument.

These days, people want to concentrate their fighting on the Internet. The down side is that many of us are out of shape.

That's because you're more likely to get arrested. That's what people are really afraid of actually, not what the fight in isolation can do to them, because this is the kind of thing that's lost on somebody angry enough. For someone with just a little bit of lucidness left, there's that fear of legal problems.

Look at how we don't slap anyone with our gloves and then ask them whether they'd prefer pistols or swords anymore, and likely Hamilton had a lot to do with changing public opinion on that.

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 25
Growing up in a small town in a mountain valley, I got in fights all the time.

Now, as a wiser and less impulsive adult, I would never fight someone unless it was to protect myself or others from harm.

As others mentioned, the legal consequences prevent most modern fighting that would otherwise occur. I for one am thankful.

Still, martial arts is pretty awesome. Finding a willing adversary to duel against under controlled conditions can be fun.

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 25
A couple years ago, at a restaurant bar, I sat next to this older guy in his 50s or 60s. I was curious about his food plate and looked at it. He got mad at me and threatened to punch me.

I thought it was strange but now I understand that it's a part of his cultural generation to punch other guys or to threaten other guys with a fist. I just ignored him and looked at my cell phone like most modern people.

Jul 19, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 25
I was a bouncer in bars for seven years. People still fight, the scary **** is that now if you get into a scrap you gotta watch out for them coming back with a gun.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 25
  I was a bouncer in bars for seven years. People still fight, the scary **** is that now if you get into a scrap you gotta watch out for them coming back with a gun.

That reminds me of how an old friend told me about how he used to make six figures organizing night clubs in the UK, but then his competition threatened him with guns, so he quit...or something like that

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 25
I saw a fist fight in a parking lot yesterday between a man and a woman. It took about 45 seconds. The woman landed more blows, I think she won. Then they shook hands and the woman walked away with her friends.

Jul 27, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #11 of 25
I find it comical to see all the road rage videos. Nice to see mankind has still not lost that temper edge, defending himself and property.

Still it's so true that with the advent of lawyers you could potentially loose it all getting in a fight with the wrong person, or even get totally hurt.

Most of us had our few years of fighting from 6th grade until after high school. If your an adult and get in a fight it's kind of stupid, unless your in a situation where you have to defend yourself or family.

Now days if there really is a decline in fist fights I would say there is an increase of folks taking weapons out of the cars trunk on the road? It's maybe a hard thing to monitor? I still push people out of my way if they walk into me on the side walk. No one has taken a swing at me. :blush:

Jul 27, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #12 of 25
Would rather not 
biggrin.gif

De-escalation is a much harder but far more rewarding skill to acquire.  Then again...there have been those times (stray punch from left-field). 

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #13 of 25
I consider myself a pacifist for the most part. I would fight to protect a friend before I would fight to protect myself. With me I might let you land a punch, but touch my friends and you'll be very sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back