The Decemberists — The Hazards of Love
Mar 25, 2009 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Oliver :)

Headphoneus Supremus
The Decemberists
The Hazards of Love
17 Tracks, 58:37

Got the CD yesterday. If you know The Decemberists, you already know what you're in for. You get the dramatic witty weird lyrics, the sometimes unusual instrumentation, the occasional detail overload. The band decided to add a hefty amount of rock to their business this time around. The trademark seashore shanty feeling is still present at times, yet it is accompanied by massive bass constructions and adventures in organ. I am under the impression that the band listend to a lot of classic rock lately. I also hear a little bit of The White Stripes, a hint of Kula Shaker, and also some more recent Tori Amos.
Soundwise, the album is not exactly a revelation but is also far from disappointment. As said already, the band brings the bass this time, so you better bring proper amplification. There are some very interesting spatial effects too and also some of those precious hypnotic Decemberists moments. I could spot no explicit faults in the recording yet, although at times things seem a little muffled and especially in the moments of instrumental overload I could not help to think that things get a little "crowded" (btw. iVolume took away 2,9dB when bringing the tracks down to an average 95dB) with even my fast STAX having trouble resolving it all. I wonder how this recording would fare on SACD and would be most interested in how it sounds on vinyl. In short, sound is well above average, though clearly more aimed to properly rock than to please picky audiophiliacs.

All in all very worthwhile.

The whole album is very listenable, yet if you want some track recommendations you could sample:

Prelude
The Hazards of Love 1
The Wanting Comes In Waves / Repaid
Annan Water

Mar 26, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 22
A couple good tracks, but they seem to have lost their sense of humor -- which is one of my favorite things about the band. This new one is almost a rock opera aka concept album. I sort of like that, but the main song that ties it together isn't very memorable which really hurts. I have all their albums and I'm afraid I'm also getting a little weary of Colin Meloy's voice. When you have such a very distinct voice, things start to seem to run together.

Mar 26, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 22
I on the contrary could never really warm up with The Crane Wife, while this new one got me instantly. You are right when you say the album lacks in the band's usual humor. The humor is still there, yet it is vastly more sardonic than ever before, way beyond "funny" at times. Prelude gives it away right at the beginning — The Hazards of Love is an exercise in darkness.

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I on the contrary could never really warm up with The Crane Wife

Neither could I, but I thought that Castaways and Cutouts is a terrific album.

--Jerome

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 22
I was way too harsh in my first review. I listened to this album again and its really very, very good. Extremely ambitious and it works. I love the inclusion of the female vocalists. Gives it a really nice balance. Yeah, I like this album alot. From metal-esque to Irish folk (with a pedal steel finale) - what more could you ask?

Apr 1, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #11 of 22
Picked this up today and have run through it four times already.

I like it quite a bit and it's a much harder rock sound than previous efforts. I'm not sure that they have lost their humor so much as it's turned quite dark. After all describing your children's demise at you own hand is not a light topic.

Overall i think it compares favorably to the Crane wife. Also it nice to know in the age of itunes that a band can still make a record which really demands to be listened to in it's entirety aka a concept album

I'd give it 4 out of five.

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #13 of 22
Dang it! I have worn out my welcome at Borders asking if they have it yet. I called up to a week after last Tuesday's release and they said none of the local stores had units yet. Finally ordered it on Amazon.

Are any of you familiar with Shara Worden (a.k.a. My Brightest Diamond)? . . . Heard she does vocals on a few tracks. . . .

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #14 of 22
thread resurrection:

So now that it's been a few months I wanted to see if anyone had any updated opinions.

For me it has turned in to my favorite Decemberists album, beating out the crane wife and is in fact the second most played album on my ipod right now according to itunes (right behind kind of blue by miles davis).

I like the concept album element and the more rock feel of the album. I also like the dark story included.

My girlfriend is not a big fan since she finds his voice annoying

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thread resurrection:

So now that it's been a few months I wanted to see if anyone had any updated opinions.

For me it has turned in to my favorite Decemberists album

I like the concept album element and the more rock feel of the album. I also like the dark story included.

I would have to agree. The only other Decemberists album that I own is "Picaresque." That album was my introduction to them, and I thought my farewell with them. The reviews that I read regarding "Hazards of Love," some random comments here at Head-Fi, and this thread got me interested. (...I think that I might have heard "Annan Water" on XM) I bought it during a rare time when I wasn't buying much else. I think I had it for four or five weeks before I actually listened to it. You're evaluation is right on. I like the dark rock, occasional heavy guitar interlude, and the concept element. I will definitely remain open to future efforts by The Decemberists as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back