The Decemberists — The Hazards of Love
Jun 24, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #16 of 22
Good idea for a thread re-boot. It's nice to revisit a "hot" or at least highly anticipated release after a few months. I think the slightly darker, rokkin tone provides something that keeps me interested in the band.

I have to remember to post something about Crack The Skye this coming Fall.

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #19 of 22
To be honest, I did not listen to it a lot. It demands a full run and it can also be exhausting at times, yet when the time is there and the mood is right, this is a great, great album.

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest, I did not listen to it a lot. It demands a full run and it can also be exhausting at times, yet when the time is there and the mood is right, this is a great, great album.

I think you hit it. This is an album that to be fully appreciated needs to be listened through straight through.

In fact the weakness of the album is that there isn't a song on it that stands well on it's own with the possible exception of the title track.

But repeated listening continues to reward. The latest thing i really noticed on the last listen was the repetition of distinct musical motif's for each character, especially Margaret and the narrator.

Additionally certain central themes like desire have the same signature "the wanting comes in waves" transforms to 'here comes the waves" at the end.

Great stuff!

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #21 of 22
I really enjoy this album as well, and find it to be more of a rock opera than anything else. Songs run straight into eachother all over the place, musically and lyrically. It should not be picked apart...

I haven't had any noticable problems with things mashing together. There is a lot going on in parts, but the HF-1s and ER-4P/Ss hold up just fine IMHO.

Good stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back