The Deals Thread II. (READ THE FIRST POST!)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #1,097 of 3,203
Justin posted some returns at Headamp.

HE-400 + velours - $350
HE-400 + velours (minus HiFiMAN silkscreen) - $295
HE-500 - $575
HE-6 - $975
http://www.headamp.com/order/returns.htm

Benefit of this over headphone.com is 30day return window and HE-400 come with velours.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #1,098 of 3,203
Quote:
Justin posted some returns at Headamp.

HE-400 + velours - $350
HE-400 + velours (minus HiFiMAN silkscreen) - $295
HE-500 - $575
HE-6 - $975
http://www.headamp.com/order/returns.htm

Benefit of this over headphone.com is 30day return window and HE-400 come with velours.

Some pretty good deals there. Justin is a great guy.

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #1,100 of 3,203
Has anyone ever used or even heard of this company before?? I was looking into buying a Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G but needed a small DAC to go along with it like the DAC usb cable that they also sell but it hard to know when they'll ever be in stock so I did some searching and came across this site and found a bunch of different awesome products. Not sure on the quality or the reputation of this place but I'm very very interested to try some of the products they have out like this.

http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=83

The USB DAC is 24bit/96khz vs the one from Headstage that very good but still only 16/48 and its less than half the price! Here's some more information that I found on Amazon. The more I read the more I like. The 3.5mm output also acts as an Optical out!! My work laptop doesn't have one but my MacBook Pro does and I do prefer the sound out of the Optical in on the e17 vs the USB. Its not even close!!

From Amazon:

Hifimediy Sabre DAC was developed by DIY (do it yourself} enthusiasts in the purpose of making a really good but cheap dac that could compete against regular commercial DAC's costing many times as much. It utilizes a DAC chip from the ESS Technology which range of DAC chips is highly regarded amoung audio enthusiast. You pay for the sound, not the enclosure. We use a small lightweight simple box, so you don't have to pay extra for a bigger and more expensive enclosure. The power supply is very important for the sound quality. We use a high end ultra low noise regulator (LT1763). Features: - Output on 3.5mm headphone jack. - Volume Level is controlled by the normal volume control keys on your computer. (no need to use the volume control inside iTunes etc.) - No drivers required for Mac, Windows and Linux! However for Windows 7 we recommend installing the driver, as the default windows driver has some issues with noise. - Normal line level output (2Vrms) when connected to amplifiers/preamps. For headphones the level decreases down to 1Vrms for 32ohm headphones Additional features: -Usb to optical converter. Outputs optical signal if you connect a 3.5mm optical cable in place of a 3.5mm audio cable. Can be useful for connecting your computer to another DAC without usb input. USB (receiver) chip TenorTE7022L: - Accepts up to 96khz/24bit input signals over USB. Most USB DAC's use the cheaper PCM2704 usb receiver chips that can only accept up to 48KHZ/16BIT. Output levels: Open 2.2Vrms 4.7Kohm 2.1Vrms 1.8Kohm 1.9Vrms 510ohm 1.5Vrms 330ohm 1.3Vrms 30ohm 1Vrms Normally amplifier inputs are from 10K to 100K ohm. Normal headphones are from 32 ohm to 250ohm.

I think I'm going to try this out. For $42 why not

Thanks,

:evil:

Edit: here is the HifimeDIY US site. They said its better to order from this one instead of the one I posted if you are here in the States.

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #1,101 of 3,203
Quote:
Has anyone ever used or even heard of this company before?? I was looking into buying a Headstage Arrow 12HE 4G but needed a small DAC to go along with it like the DAC usb cable that they also sell but it hard to know when they'll ever be in stock so I did some searching and came across this site and found a bunch of different awesome products. Not sure on the quality or the reputation of this place but I'm very very interested to try some of the products they have out like this.

http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=83

The USB DAC is 24bit/96khz vs the one from Headstage that very good but still only 16/48 and its less than half the price! Here's some more information that I found on Amazon. The more I read the more I like. The 3.5mm output also acts as an Optical out!! My work laptop doesn't have one but my MacBook Pro does and I do prefer the sound out of the Optical in on the e17 vs the USB. Its not even close!!

From Amazon:

Hifimediy Sabre DAC was developed by DIY (do it yourself} enthusiasts in the purpose of making a really good but cheap dac that could compete against regular commercial DAC's costing many times as much. It utilizes a DAC chip from the ESS Technology which range of DAC chips is highly regarded amoung audio enthusiast. You pay for the sound, not the enclosure. We use a small lightweight simple box, so you don't have to pay extra for a bigger and more expensive enclosure. The power supply is very important for the sound quality. We use a high end ultra low noise regulator (LT1763). Features: - Output on 3.5mm headphone jack. - Volume Level is controlled by the normal volume control keys on your computer. (no need to use the volume control inside iTunes etc.) - No drivers required for Mac, Windows and Linux! However for Windows 7 we recommend installing the driver, as the default windows driver has some issues with noise. - Normal line level output (2Vrms) when connected to amplifiers/preamps. For headphones the level decreases down to 1Vrms for 32ohm headphones Additional features: -Usb to optical converter. Outputs optical signal if you connect a 3.5mm optical cable in place of a 3.5mm audio cable. Can be useful for connecting your computer to another DAC without usb input. USB (receiver) chip TenorTE7022L: - Accepts up to 96khz/24bit input signals over USB. Most USB DAC's use the cheaper PCM2704 usb receiver chips that can only accept up to 48KHZ/16BIT. Output levels: Open 2.2Vrms 4.7Kohm 2.1Vrms 1.8Kohm 1.9Vrms 510ohm 1.5Vrms 330ohm 1.3Vrms 30ohm 1Vrms Normally amplifier inputs are from 10K to 100K ohm. Normal headphones are from 32 ohm to 250ohm.

I think I'm going to try this out. For $42 why not

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Edit: here is the HifimeDIY US site. They said its better to order from this one instead of the one I posted if you are here in the States.

Yup, reviews here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifimediy-sabre-usb-dac/reviews

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #1,102 of 3,203
Quote:
I see that www.storedj.com.au has a lot of cans at prices lower than market rates for those of us in Sydney....

They have stores across Australia. Not seeing anything particularly amazing on a global scale.

I recommend using www.staticice.com.au to compare prices in Australia. Best pricing I've found has been on here and from OzBargain.

Sorry for diverting, not really the point of this thread...

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #1,103 of 3,203
Apr 3, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #1,108 of 3,203
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back