The Dead-Serious PROline 2500 Thread
Mar 6, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #46 of 59
holy smokes folks!

I changed my output from my X-Fi elite pro breakout box optical > MD10Dac > Sq-84 amp to

X-FI Elite Pro Coaxial digital I/O(the card not the breakout box) >MD10 > Sq-84 and it's like the burn in is completed already!

Much smoother overall in every regard. They were slightly fatiguing and metallic before and no more!

The 2500 is just REALLY sensitive to source, amplification whatever it seems.

Mar 6, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #47 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw, Dex, do you have hd cable tv yet on elba?

Oh, aren't you just the sly devil!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Funnily enough, Waterloo is just a short 15-minute drive from me and I have indeed met it on more than one occasion!
icon10.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #48 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
holy smokes folks!

I changed my output from my X-Fi elite pro breakout box optical > MD10Dac > Sq-84 amp to

X-FI Elite Pro Coaxial digital I/O(the card not the breakout box) >MD10 > Sq-84 and it's like the burn in is completed already!

Much smoother overall in every regard. They were slightly fatiguing and metallic before and no more!

The 2500 is just REALLY sensitive to source, amplification whatever it seems.

Great!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been starting to get a bit concerned by all these "metallic" comments, but I don't really know what it means. I guess I have one of the lucky source+amp combinations as well
cool.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #49 of 59
hey,i was looking for my first good cans,mainly for rock,and was wondering if the Proline-2500 has more bass then RS-1?because i cannot decide which one's better for me..i love a lot of bass,so this is important to me (=

Mar 7, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #50 of 59
the 2500 plays to the source so if the song has bass you will hear it and they go as deep as any headphone I ever heard. the bass is accurate and well seperated but you need an amp with balls and a good source or you might be dissapointed. they are not very forgiving cans like the Rs-1 is nor will they play well out of a portable source.

Mar 7, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #51 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey,i was looking for my first good cans,mainly for rock,and was wondering if the Proline-2500 has more bass then RS-1?because i cannot decide which one's better for me..i love a lot of bass,so this is important to me (=

I had both at the same time. I would say that the PROline 2500 has a bit more bass, and the impact is equal to the RS-1's, if not a bit more. That said, the RS-1 has excellent bass impact. In terms of extension, though, I think the 2500 has more for sure.

If I'm not mistaken, Head-Fi member "saturnine" currently has both the RS-1's and 2500's. Maybe he can give you some more comments.

Mar 7, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #52 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't have extensive experience of the RS-1 by any means, but I had the opportunity to hear one recently at the Bristol Meet, and my PROline 2500s had further bass extension, as Zoide has reported above.

Mar 7, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #53 of 59
someone briefly compare dt990s with the proline 2500s...especially in the bass department, i've been itching to hear it (dont mean to steal the thread or anything)

Mar 7, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #54 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
someone briefly compare dt990s with the proline 2500s...especially in the bass department, i've been itching to hear it (dont mean to steal the thread or anything)

To quote from a post I made today in this other thread:

With regards to the DT 990 (2005), I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. I had those at the same time I had the PROline 2500, and IMO after listening to the Ultrasones for some days and switching to the Beyers, the Beyers sounded a bit thin/hollow. Once you listen to the Beyers exclusively for some hours/days, your brain adjusts to the sound and they don't feel so thin/hollow. But if you're used to the Ultrasone sound, quick A/B'ing with the Beyers does give that impression.

Mar 7, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #55 of 59
i know exactly what he means, it's because of the somewhat sucked out midrange, all you have to do is eq the highs down a bit and it goes away completely. also, after 200+ hours of burnin this problem really became insignficant as the highs toned down quite a lot and the midrange became apparent (add eq to that and it's a nonissue)

but i'm more concerned about how the prolines handle bass compared to the beyers.

Mar 7, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #56 of 59
well the bass impact isn't the same quantity as say open Darth Beyers and certainly not closed but the bass SQ is better in that it is more seperated and tuneful. In other words you hear and feel the bass all the way down but it isn't
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #57 of 59
I don't know about the Darth Beyers, but I'd say that the PROline 2500 has deeper and more impactful bass than the DT 990. (As per the "brain adjustment" effect when A/B'ing. I don't know what would happen if you listen exclusively to each for one week so your hearing adjusts and then you try to compare from memory.)

Mar 7, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #58 of 59
the 770 and Darths have such a tight seal that a lot of the bass impact is like compression waves. just pounding bass but not very good in the unmodded version. the Darths clean things up quite a bit but again they were not my favorites for anything other than low volume listening b/c of that tight seal the bass just was crushing and the cups were earmuff warm for me.

just my opinion of course. I still love the Darths but they are impractical to me in closed form.

now the 2500s are ok b/c they are open and breath

I think I said the 2500 is like a love child b/w Beyer and Grado b/c they sound, and are built like a combo of the two. like an Rs-1 mated with a 990? dunno

Mar 7, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #59 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by JRjr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, back to the 2500. How much ambiant noise gets through? Will I be able to hear my wife when she asks me questions every ten minutes? I get irritable when I have to keep lifting my HP's off and asking "what did you say?"

Compared with the HD650 and the Beyers 990 I have, the Proline 2500 seem to be the ones that offers less insulation of the three so you are able to hear more of the "ambiant noise".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back