The D2 touch controls
Aug 5, 2008 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
Why does everyone hate it? I love it to be honest. It is far better than to screw around with knobs/touchpads that can be insensitive at times. The D2 has a Samsung made LCD panel and has a screen protector = the screen ain't gonna break/wear down anytime soon (unless you drop it from a multi-story building).

So quick for me to access stuff. Am I the minority?

Aug 5, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 12
I think you are in the minority, but I don't know. I don't hate the touch screen, it works very well. I hate the lazy programming done on the navigation side of the UI. Example:

You are walking somewhere and want to quickly access the contents of the music library. You have to touch the screen...no problems with that...to bring up the current playing screen. then tap the "Browser" selection in the lower left corner to bring up a slide up menu. Then tap the "Music List" selection. Then either tap the back arrow or tap the "Mode" selection, which brings up another slide up menu. Then tap "Music Library and you're finally there.

That's what I'm talking about. There's nothing quick about that. The mechanics of the player are great and the player seems to be high quality but the UI wreaks of lazy programming.

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 12
It's actually a pretty good combo of touch and tactile. I love the fact that I can control the volume and skip to the next track while on hold w/my D2 in my pocket. Wish the Touch had a volume rocker, but no such luck.

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's quick but there's still too much tapping involved so the GUI can still be improved.

This is true. Could be a little more intuitive, but I've settled for the great SQ it has.

Aug 6, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 12
Wish I could select the start screen for when it powers on - I'd go right to the "Now Playing" screen.

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 12
I am against touch screens on principle, in any portable device. I'm clumsy and I have a tendency to drop expensive gadgets. I bought a padded case, but then the screen is not accessible and I can't control the player. It's a bit of a nuisance. I end up carrying it in my pocket and worrying everytime I dig it out that I may drop it.

As I've said elsewhere, the SQ on the D2 is so good, I forgive them the touch screen.

I agree that the controls are easy and intuitive but I find it much easier to navigate when using fingers - the stylus is of little/ no use.

Aug 6, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 12
geekchic, if you look in the Settings, you can set the D2 so that the top buttons control play/pause/next/prev and volume functions (with the Hold slide acting as a second function trigger). I have it set this way, so that when in my pocket, I can still easily control the D2.

Aug 7, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
geekchic, if you look in the Settings, you can set the D2 so that the top buttons control play/pause/next/prev and volume functions (with the Hold slide acting as a second function trigger). I have it set this way, so that when in my pocket, I can still easily control the D2.

That's what I always did when I still had mine. I still remember powering up the D2, hoping to touch the music button on the screen then slide to hold and press the menu button to play (Yes this is all blind in my pocket!). There was no other way to get the D2 to start playing music at boot...
redface.gif

Aug 7, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #12 of 12
If you install fw 3.57 then use a flash skin called "cover slide" this has two options for navigating in the Now Playing screen, one with pseudo buttons on the edge of the screen, and one with a finger scroll response (scroll finger up and enter music list, down for menu's, Right/Left - Skip/Repeat) - I like the finger scroll. Also using this flash you can set it to start playing as soon as the Now Playing screen is entered - So you turn on the D2 press music and wallah... Wonderful tunes. (Don't forget to also Check the resume function in 'Settings-General-Resume' so that the song continues from its previous position. I have found that the ICowonClassic theme goes well with this Flash skin

When installing this Flash, there is a text file which goes in the top layer folder on the D2. This file contains all the user configurable settings (there are many). You need to edit this file manually to retain your settings.

I also use the configurable buttons to pause - skip when in locked mode. I generally like the touch screen. Sometimes i wish i had tactile buttons, but most the time i think i prefer the touch screen - especially when using cover slide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back