The Custom Art's Flagship - Harmony 8 and 8pro CIEM - discussion thread
Feb 5, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #452 of 519
If you had to compare a headphone to the
Still selling mine
smily_headphones1.gif

If you had to compare the 8 to a headphone, which would it be?

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #453 of 519
  I bloody love my LCD-2, so this sounds very appealing to me. Anyone else able to compare the two?

I agree 
wink_face.gif

But really, if you want a second opinion I suggest emailing Piotr directly. I think most people that purchase TOTL CIEM's are mainly IEM people and less knowledgeable about TOTL headphones, meaning it might be a while before you get a second opinion from someone else. It would be unfortunate if these were on sale at Massdrop again and you were hesitant to pull the trigger because you still haven't received a second opinion

Feb 5, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #454 of 519
If you had to compare a headphone to the
If you had to compare the 8 to a headphone, which would it be?

Sorry, never had any headphone besides some 1980 vague family memories. All I can say is the H8 is the most versatile and best ciem I've listen to.
I'm just downgrading because of money reasons unfortunately

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #455 of 519
  Just FYI you can easily change H8P output if you run it through ER4P to S adaptor. There are many different ohm versions available on ebay.

Ok, so finally did some testing and comparisons with the 15 ohm adaptor I got cheap of eBay. Interesting! :)
I could probably have made it myself, but didn't have the time.

My sources are all ~0.5 ohm output impedance. Adding the adaptor, it does lower the treble a bit and puts a little more kick to the bass - making it a little more balanced - more enjoyable - I think. As pointed out a (tiny) bit of clarity/detail/sparkle is lost, but you have to do quick comparisons to notice. I think it’s an ok compromise.

While I love the H8P for almost everything and use them constantly - one of the (very few) tracks that I simply cannot listen to on the H8P is the old '86 DM classic “Black Celebration” (especially the high synth sounds around 2:56 on the lyrics “the fact”…). It simple just hurts my ears - don’t know if it’s just me...
With the added impedance it did help a bit, though still somewhat “sibilant”, but at least now I don’t have to skip the track. :)

And now I’m just stuck with an even less portable combo with the adapter sticking out of my Oppo. :)

So this works and sounds absolutely great - never heard anything better - but still hoping a little for that future H8P+, which I best could describe as adding just a little more sub-bass like the Ei.xx and the rest sounding like a 15-20 added ohm H8P (as many have amps with <1 ohm output impedance) and maintaining the extreme 3D soundstage . :)

Feb 12, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #456 of 519
Hey guys, kinda freaking out here. My the right side of my harmony 8s is cutting out :frowning2: it almost seems like it cut out where I get a seal. When I shift it and break the seal the sound seems to come through fine... could that be driver flex? or just clogged canals... my other theory is that it is related to a bad connection with the wire. but if that is the case it is the connection on the ear piece side because I swapped the wires and it didn't fix anything. any ideas?

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #457 of 519
  Hey guys, kinda freaking out here. My the right side of my harmony 8s is cutting out :frowning2: it almost seems like it cut out where I get a seal. When I shift it and break the seal the sound seems to come through fine... could that be driver flex? or just clogged canals... my other theory is that it is related to a bad connection with the wire. but if that is the case it is the connection on the ear piece side because I swapped the wires and it didn't fix anything. any ideas?

Do you have other iem cables to try? Wonder is it due to loose connection.

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #458 of 519
  Do you have other iem cables to try? Wonder is it due to loose connection.

No, no other cables. I swapped the sides and the left remains good and the right cuts out. It could be related to the connection on the right iem but switching a cable will not fix that. I have a feeling it is more related to the seal issue, not sure if that is a problem that occurs normally though.

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #459 of 519

No, no other cables. I swapped the sides and the left remains good and the right cuts out. It could be related to the connection on the right iem but switching a cable will not fix that. I have a feeling it is more related to the seal issue, not sure if that is a problem that occurs normally though.

As the pin hole might be loose, both the stock cable pin should be of the same size. With a thicker pin inserted, it will hold tightly so might prevent the connection from being cut off.

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #460 of 519

As the pin hole might be loose, both the stock cable pin should be of the same size. With a thicker pin inserted, it will hold tightly so might prevent the connection from being cut off.

I think you may be right, pulling the wire one way seems to fix the issue as it is probably putting pressure on it to make better contact... piotr suggests I should send it back to be looked at which is probably the best choice so I don't spend money on a wire if it doesn't even fix it. not looking forward to being without my babies tho

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #461 of 519

I think you may be right, pulling the wire one way seems to fix the issue as it is probably putting pressure on it to make better contact... piotr suggests I should send it back to be looked at which is probably the best choice so I don't spend money on a wire if it doesn't even fix it. not looking forward to being without my babies tho

You can borrow cables from your friends or try it from any audio shop that might be available near your area if it is not a hassle to test if that is the issue.

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #464 of 519
As I'm about to sell my H8, and as I'm the "administrator" of this topic: if you, yes you, want to take over please send me a pm, and an admin should proceed to switch the power from me to you!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_BRv9wGf5pk

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #465 of 519
90% sure it is related to a seal, the second I 
Hope it is just some loose connection and it can be fixed with a aftermarket cable:)

90% sure it is related to the seal which is not something I can fix. The second I move it slightly and the seal breaks the audio comes in perfectly, it's very obvious and a weird problem to me. I'm going to send it out to Piotr soon because I am wasted too much time fiddling with it at work. Too bad, I really wanted to listen to TLOP on them, guess my old iems and speakers will have to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back