the CTH (Compact Tube Hybrid) Rev A thread...
Jun 30, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #211 of 607
Ok, with the tube 80V makes sense. Check output voltage of the 24V regulator next. Then measure voltages of the TLE rail splitter (be careful not to short things out when poking around there). All measurements wrt G.

YOur HV and heater is fine. Now to cehck your LV, start from regulator, then rail splitter then buffer stage and finally E12.

Jul 6, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #212 of 607
Almost done populating the board but found out I missed the D1L, D1R, D2L, D2R, relay, L2H and the ICH.
Anyone happens to have those on hands? Neither Mouser nor Digikey has all of them, just don't want to make 2 orders for those small parts.

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #213 of 607
Could someone either describe to me or show me a photo of the correct orientation of Q1P (the TO-126)? I'm a bit shaky on it, and since both my boards are exhibiting the same problems, I fear I may have accidentally reversed it.

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #216 of 607
One way to do this is to ID the Emitter, Base & Collector for the device, consult the schematic:
http://www.cavalliaudio.com/diy/ctha/main.php?page=schematics/psschematic
then look at the PCB traces to other devices.
Another way is to see the gray dot indicator on it (top/PCB-edge) in my "last PCB spec image" on the 1st page of this thread, the device may have that dot indicator on it (hint: its the emitter).

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #218 of 607
So it's been several months now since we've begun building our CTH Rev As... I'm curious as to how many people have built theirs and if you're keeping them or giving (selling) them away. I've built both of mine and have no intentions on selling or getting rid of either. The only blasphemous thing thing I'm thinking of doing is possibly building an EHHA Rev A in the next 2 years. At that point I'll decide what I intend to do with the two I've got. Other than that I have a La Figaro 332C that I'm conflicted about. It seems to have slightly more sound stage and separation over my CTH with Sonicap Gen IIs. However, I don't know if I can justify keeping it as it's taking up a bunch of desktop space and isn't really that much better than the CTH. 

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #219 of 607
It's funny you'd post that Mullet as I've 3 CTHs now & I guess that's one too many so I will be selling one.  With 6 headamps total & an EHHA in progress think I can give one up:)

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #220 of 607
Im interested in building this diy but filtering all the tweak mods in forums posts might complicated for a beginner like me :)

Anybody is selling kits of the new CTH revA with all added modifications?? Or at least PCBs (digikey?)

Or anybody have a list of those possible revA mods discussed on headfi..

Also im looking for an hybrid with total black background with no hisses,no hums, no crackles when no music is playing at mostly any volume..

also no popping..

Does any of yours CTH doing any of this..
Does the CTH has integrated ground loop protection.. if that is possible?

Anybody thought of adding some internal 3-6 band bypassable EQs, since its an hybrid :) with opamp ( or to soha II and EHHA)

On the CTH rev A plan maker

the notes are
* Consider SIP socketing R8L & R8R, R18L & R18R for flexibility
* Consider TO92 heatsinks (e.g. Digikey HS251-ND) on BC3X7s - should not be needed
* 24V reg small heatsink do not contact case or other components
* Consider 1k resistor from VG to real ground to distribute e12/relay current across rails?
* Consider mounting holes for non-slotted case use
* DO NOT SUBSTITUTE OTHER CLASS BC DEVICES!!!!

anybody wanna comment or add to this list?

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #221 of 607

Quote:
Im interested in building this diy but filtering all the tweak mods in forums posts might complicated for a beginner like me
smily_headphones1.gif

Anybody is selling kits of the new CTH revA with all added modifications?? Or at least PCBs (digikey?)

Or anybody have a list of those possible revA mods discussed on headfi..

Also im looking for an hybrid with total black background with no hisses,no hums, no crackles when no music is playing at mostly any volume..

also no popping..

Does any of yours CTH doing any of this..
Does the CTH has integrated ground loop protection.. if that is possible?

Anybody thought of adding some internal 3-6 band bypassable EQs, since its an hybrid
smily_headphones1.gif
with opamp ( or to soha II and EHHA)

On the CTH rev A plan maker

the notes are
* Consider SIP socketing R8L & R8R, R18L & R18R for flexibility
* Consider TO92 heatsinks (e.g. Digikey HS251-ND) on BC3X7s - should not be needed
* 24V reg small heatsink do not contact case or other components
* Consider 1k resistor from VG to real ground to distribute e12/relay current across rails?
* Consider mounting holes for non-slotted case use
* DO NOT SUBSTITUTE OTHER CLASS BC DEVICES!!!!

anybody wanna comment or add to this list?

i was considering building a cth recently. but i discovered there are no more pcb's available :frowning2: you might be able to find an individual forum member willing to sell you one though

Aug 21, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #223 of 607
Sinae~

You might be in luck finding one... It looks like cfcubed is going to be selling one of his 3... I'd send him a PM and see if one is up for sale.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #225 of 607
Does anyone currently have a finished CTH for sale? Looking to pick one up now to power my Grados and Fostexes. Please PM me if you are willing to sell one. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back