the ct790 sounds better than ej1000.
Feb 7, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 21
I'm not sure who your post is directed towards, but I guess everybody is entitled to their opinion. Have you personally spent time listening to both of these PCDP's? I haven't, but I do like my D-EJ1000, for its feature set, compact size, and sound.

-Keith

Feb 7, 2002 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 21
Judging from Keith's list of potentially-portable headphones (including both the Sony 888 and Etymotic ER-4P) I don't think the issue of total-package price is relevant. When comparing two units, whether portable CDPs or full-size home CDPs, whether amplifiers or cables or power conditioners, you should keep all other associated equipment the same. While you may make a qualitative value judgment which certainly is appreciated, saying that one PCDP sounds better than another because the headphones bought with the difference in price is better is not an opinion that's especially useful.

Feb 7, 2002 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 21
The sound of 790 is not as good as 1000 when I heard it for the first time,but now I think 790 is better.the earphone of 790 is not very good,I believe mdr-e848 is good choice to 790.

Feb 8, 2002 at 5:42 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
saying that one PCDP sounds better than another because the headphones bought with the difference in price is better is not an opinion that's especially useful.

not to offend u or ur opinions but i think that many ppl come to these forums seeking advice, and altho there r also MANY that come here to congregate casually, total package price and quality is a factor that shuld be, and is, taking into mind while making a purchase

i cannot vouch for these opinions, MD is my medium of choice so i only create digital copies of them

sry agin if this offends u, but from what ive read u seem to be annoyed/slightly arrogant towards our newer members from china so i wanted to make this argument, after all, he is onyl trying to contribute

Feb 8, 2002 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 21
God, i feel like i'm in the Twilight Zone, Rod where are you man?!

Feb 8, 2002 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 21
I am not annoyed at anyone for being Chinese or for conversing in Chinese per se. Rather, it is the use of a foreign language which divides the community into those who can understand what is being written and those who can't. While I understand that some members of the community have difficulty reading and/or writing in English, this is an English-language forum. Using foreign languages sparsely is not a problem -- it's when people begin to speak only in a foreign language that the majority of the community begins to be left out. That language does not have to be Chinese -- it could be French, Russian, German, or any other non-English language.

In regards to the concern of total package price -- this is, indeed, a valid concern. However, I have found that most members seem to prefer to learn how two units compare sonically, not how two equally priced packages compare. I think it is far easier to make a judgment on the value of a player when it is compared to others using the same accompanying equipment. That makes the value judgment universal.

If, for example, the 790 + E888 is said to sound better than the 1000 + stock earbuds, that might be a useful comparison of two packages. But how much further can this comparison be used? Since you haven't discussed the sonic merits of the two players with all else being equal, how do you compare the 790 with the d-ej01 if you've heard that the d-ej01 sounds better than the 1000 with the same headphones? It would be difficult to say because you didn't compare the 790 and the 1000 -- you compared two separate packages.

It also seems generally accepted that given the similarity in design among most portable CD players (especially within the newer Sony line), it is quite obvious that the CD player used with better headphones should sound better. Learning about the sonic merits of the player alone proves most useful to most members because then they can decide for themselves the value of purchasing a slightly better CD player for what may seem a disproportionate amount of money, perhaps not allowing for a CD player upgrade.

This is an issue we deal with all the time in high-end audio equipment -- the law of diminishing returns. The higher up the audio chain you go, the less improvement you notice per dollar spent. Usually it's better decided by the individual who knows his own pecuniary status better than anyone else.
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2002 at 8:41 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by NeoPoe
sry agin if this offends u, but from what ive read u seem to be annoyed/slightly arrogant towards our newer members from china so i wanted to make this argument, after all, he is onyl trying to contribute

I don't frequent the Portable Audio Forum as much as some of the others, so I'm not sure exactly everything that's been said regarding the posts made in Chinese.

So far, we haven't specified in the Rules and Terms of Use any specific language preference -- but we're about to. If you haven't already guessed, we will state in the Rules and Terms of Use that English is the language we use to communicate at Head-Fi.

Let's take a look at this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&threadid=7509

I suspect that 95% or more of the users at Head-Fi can't make heads or tails of most of the posts that make up the first page of that thread.

Head-Fi is obviously a community of strangers, acquaintances and friends from all over the world, so I'd like to think we all respect the many cultures and nationalities represented here. But we have to have some common language that the overwhelming majority of us can communicate with, and at Head-Fi that has obviously been (and will continue to be) English.

The argument can be made that this is arrogant, but I'll argue that I don't visit primarily German-language forums, or Spanish-language forums (though my grasp of Spanish is so-so -- okay, maybe not even so-so), Chinese-speaking forums, etc., because I understand the intended primary languages of these non-English forums.

Another example: The web site TNT Audio comes in English and Italian versions -- publishing in these two languages is their choice, and not publishing in Swahili, Hebrew, Aramaic, French, Chinese, or any other languages that aren't English and Italian, doesn't make them arrogant. Some sites are published only in French, only in German, etc. -- a fact that alone doesn't make them arrogant either.

At Head-Fi, it's English.

Feb 8, 2002 at 8:42 AM Post #11 of 21
DanG has a point about comparing stuff. Just use some common sense and try to control the experiment as much as possible. Use the same CD and heapdhones when comparing two different CD players. However, we don't have to get picky and start using the same AC adapter for obvious and practical reasons.

Heck I break this rule because when I go to most electornic stores, I can't control the environment. I get stuck with whatever that is part of the demo.

Feb 8, 2002 at 11:00 AM Post #12 of 21
Sorry, if I seemed short in my reply to the original post, but the way it was worded, I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be a reply to another post, or just another post telling everyone that they should buy the Sony over the Panasonic.

As to listening to portable music players, I never use the supplied earbud/headphones. I always file them away (I've got about 10-15 pair in a box somewhere). This being a headphone forum, I think most people do the same. When I compare two different players, I typically use the same set of cans, sometimes portable ones, sometimes full sized, sometimes open, sometimes closed.

For those of us stuck in the dismal PCDP market here in the US, I did find one place that supposedly has the Panasonic SL-CT790 in stock (I couldn't even find hardly of the importers carrying it when I got my D-EJ1000). Best of all, it is only $169. http://www.aaaprice.com/pansl9.html is the place that carries them.

-Keith

Feb 8, 2002 at 12:20 PM Post #13 of 21
sorry,maybe i should said ct790+mdr888 sourds better than ej1000.without the headphone,i could not say which one was better .because everyone have different feels.but ct790+888
sounds much better than ej1000 with its own headphone for sure.i could compare them beause ct790+888 and ej1000+its own headphone cost the same money

Feb 8, 2002 at 12:58 PM Post #14 of 21
As far as I know, almost everyone here throw away the headphones that come with any Portable CD player, so I don't think your point matters much.

When you say 'the CT790 sounds much better than EJ1000', people think you are referring to the sound quality of the player alone. Did you know that people here actually think that different CD players can sound different even with the same headphones plugged in?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 8, 2002 at 1:01 PM Post #15 of 21
Actually you did say it. Twice in fact. And several of us here told you why it isn't really a fair comparison. Since you listened to both of them, and it sounds like you own the MDR-888's, why not tell us which sounds better with the 888's, the Panasonic or the Sony. That is you listen to both CD players with the SAME pair of earphones (in this case the 888's) and tell us which CD player sounds better. Many of us here would be willing to pay a little more for a PCDP if it sounds better overall, not just with a given pair of headphones. Comparing any PCDP to another while handicapping one of the players with the stock headphones and using the other with a good pair (the 888's) isn't a fair comparison on sound. On overall value, maybe, but not on sound.

-Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back