The Cranberries
Feb 26, 2007 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Mrvile

Headphoneus Supremus
I just discovered this band after hearing "Dreams" repeatedly for the past eleven years on the radio. They have a pretty unique sound, especially the singer, and I've noticed that the CD's are all recorded pretty well. Anyone else here Cranberries fans?

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 26
I'm not a huge fan, but I have 'No Need To Argue'. The big song on that album was "Zombie". I think they're at least a memorable 90's band.

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 26
They started off as a refreshing folk-rock outfit in their debut Everybody is Doing it so Why Can't We, but gradually grew too heavy for my taste. Their lead Dolores O'Riordan does have a beautiful voice that has spawned a horde of imitators, but hers is not a voice for the kind of screeching, screaming that she seems to enjoy.

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They started off as a refreshing folk-rock outfit in their debut Everybody is Doing it so Why Can't We, but gradually grew too heavy for my taste. Their lead Dolores O'Riordan does have a beautiful voice that has spawned a horde of imitators, but hers is not a voice for the kind of screeching, screaming that she seems to enjoy.

"Dreams" was from their debut CD, which I really liked, but listening to their later CD's I did notice that they got considerably heavier which I'm not too sure about yet. But I really like "Everybody Else Is Doing It," I fell asleep to it last night
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 26
Can't decide whether I really like The Cranberries or not, but thanks to glancing at this thread I will have "Linger" bouncing around in my head for the next week or two.

Feb 26, 2007 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 26
The Cranberries are awesome and Dolores O'Riordan has a beautifully unique voice imho; theres something very blissful and dreamy about the music, I love it!
icon10.gif
. My favourites albums would be Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?, No Need To Argue and Bury The Hatchet. The song 'Daffodil Lament' is like honey to the ears.
icon10.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Dreams" was from their debut CD, which I really liked, but listening to their later CD's I did notice that they got considerably heavier which I'm not too sure about yet. But I really like "Everybody Else Is Doing It," I fell asleep to it last night
biggrin.gif

They have released a greatest hits collection: Stars. Every song is amazing. It also has a DVD music version. My personal favorites are Linger, Ode to my Family and When you're gone.

Also if you like Cranberries, try Belle and Sebastian. Their album Tigermilk is a collector's item that is hard to find now.

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by minusflo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also if you like Cranberries, try Belle and Sebastian. Their album Tigermilk is a collector's item that is hard to find now.

Really? It's pretty freely available in the United Kingdom, so at worst you could order it from a retailer here.

While I second the "big up" for B&S, I wouldn't say there was much resemblance to The Cranberries. I'd put B&S in the indie tradition of The Smiths, The Housemartins and The Beautiful South, whereas The Cranberries rank more with Sinead O'Connor, or (more recently) Evanescence.

The Cranberries made a mistake of going too far towards rock, which to be honest they didn't have the street cred to pull off: "Zombie" is a pretty fabulous song, and they had some other good ones (especially on No Need to Argue) but I don't miss them much.

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 26
I'm not a big fan, but do I have No Need to Argue and Everybody Else Is Doing It... Used to like Dreams alot until it got overplayed. My favorite song now is zombie. Dolores O'Riordan does have a nice voice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just discovered this band after hearing "Dreams" repeatedly for the past eleven years on the radio. They have a pretty unique sound, especially the singer, and I've noticed that the CD's are all recorded pretty well. Anyone else here Cranberries fans?

Feb 26, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #10 of 26
Ode to my Family is probably my favorite Cranberries song. Need to go back and listen to the entire album, it's been a long time since I've done that.

Feb 26, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #11 of 26
'No Need to Argue' is a classic. Everyone should have it in their collection.

'Bury the Hatchet' wasn't my favorite though.

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 26
I am Cranberries fan!
I have all 5 albums plus hits collection......1st two albums are real classics, middle album is weakest, last two rock a bit harder with less dream pop influences.

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #14 of 26
"Everybody Else Is Doing It..." and "No Need to Argue" are thier best albums. With the first being the best IMO. After those two albums The Cranberries really fell off.

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:07 PM Post #15 of 26
I've only got "Everybody Else Is Doing It..." and I like it.
Linger is one of the best songs ever
icon10.gif

On the other hand Zombie is one of the Worst songs I've ever heard
mad.gif

Makes me kind of afraid to buy any of the other albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back