The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Mar 16, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #961 of 5,419
Exactly, I prefer to have my own music and be in control of it versus the rental model that streaming presents. For music discovery the internet and streaming are second to non so has it's place.

Q-6
I flat-out refuse to stream, therefore I do not.

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #963 of 5,419
I flat-out refuse to stream, therefore I do not.
As I said streaming is good for music discovery, I mostly picked up the A&K SR25 for it's utility, as the DAP presents a very well balanced package in a small form factor, it having the capacity to stream music is a bonus. There's no right or wrong only personal preference I prefer to be in control of the music library and not rely on external sources.

For the most part I use my SR25 in the same manner as I do my WM1A, equally It's ability to stream doesn't compromise, interfere with offline listening nor is it yet another "smart" device that you need to manage as all it does is play music.

Q-6

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #964 of 5,419
IMG_20210317_112012.jpg

IMG_20210317_113855.jpg

I had the opportunity to try all the walkman devices at the sony store earlier today. I tried all of them with my Starfield in the 3.5mm and wow it really does gives the starfield an edge. Everything was clean and had amazing clarity.

I was then given to try out the IER-Z1R with the balanced cable and yeah, I was viciously mindblown by the sound I'm getting from my usual songs that I brought with me. I spent at least a good 30-45 minutes with each one and it was quite the experience. It does make me wanna save up to get the WM1A but it also showed me that having good cables and better headphones/iems matters more for me at the moment. I listened back to my A55 after that and it's still fun to listen to. I didn't felt spoiled or anything by the other devices. I got to hold it and play around with it. I didn't know what "Direct Sound" it was in the settings but I just enabled it.

I was falling in love with the sound of the WM1Z so I might try the A50Z mod firmware one day! It seems to go well with the starfield. Can't imagine how it'll sound like with a balanced cable for the starfield.

I did found the XBA-N3AP right in front of me when I was playing around with the walkmans. Apparently they're still selling it. I thought it was discontinued from what I read here the other day. I guess not. I got no knowledge about this particular iem and they didn't have a demo for it but it's there in stock, new and sealed!

There was a DMP-Z1 that I was actually given to try but I already had to leave so maybe I'll try it on my next visit.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #965 of 5,419
Changed the region to MX3 and the treble starts to shine with better detail retrieval. The bass is still slightly off-putting so I've adjusted the mid bass 0.5db lower. Still not fully satisfied, then tried flipped ear tip and viola! It opens up better. Switched back to direct sound and is still satisfying.

Mar 17, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #966 of 5,419
I had the opportunity to try all the walkman devices at the sony store earlier today. I tried all of them with my Starfield in the 3.5mm and wow it really does gives the starfield an edge. Everything was clean and had amazing clarity.

I was then given to try out the IER-Z1R with the balanced cable and yeah, I was viciously mindblown by the sound I'm getting from my usual songs that I brought with me. I spent at least a good 30-45 minutes with each one and it was quite the experience. It does make me wanna save up to get the WM1A but it also showed me that having good cables and better headphones/iems matters more for me at the moment. I listened back to my A55 after that and it's still fun to listen to. I didn't felt spoiled or anything by the other devices. I got to hold it and play around with it. I didn't know what "Direct Sound" it was in the settings but I just enabled it.

I was falling in love with the sound of the WM1Z so I might try the A50Z mod firmware one day! It seems to go well with the starfield. Can't imagine how it'll sound like with a balanced cable for the starfield.

I did found the XBA-N3AP right in front of me when I was playing around with the walkmans. Apparently they're still selling it. I thought it was discontinued from what I read here the other day. I guess not. I got no knowledge about this particular iem and they didn't have a demo for it but it's there in stock, new and sealed!

There was a DMP-Z1 that I was actually given to try but I already had to leave so maybe I'll try it on my next visit.
Are they having this rebate on all products at all Sony stores? I was hoping that they'll do a factory closing sale now that the factory in Penang is closed! Haha!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #967 of 5,419
Are they having this rebate on all products at all Sony stores? I was hoping that they'll do a factory closing sale now that the factory in Penang is closed! Haha!
Looks like it! Was at the KLCC branch. You can get the WM1A for RM4269 brand new! One thing to note, they don't bring in the ZX300 anymore and they won't accept any orders for it too. The iems like the XBA-N3AP, I'm able to get them ordered if I want, so I guess they're focusing on the ZX507 from here on out.

Mar 18, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #968 of 5,419
Exactly, I prefer to have my own music and be in control of it versus the rental model that streaming presents. For music discovery the internet and streaming are second to non so has it's place.

Q-6

Net is a HUGE gift to us music lovers

You have sites like Discogs/rateyourmusic (to name a few) to read about music lists/album reviews and discover great hidden stuff

Then Youtube Music can give you a sonic idea of what you just read about and seemed interesting

And if you like what you heard at YT, Net is there to download anything you want.

It may be a crappy time to be alive , we may be viewing a continuous decline of (western) civilization , but at least we have all the music in the world :xf_cool:

Mar 18, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #970 of 5,419
These are my always 2 cents regarding streaming and the non-Android Walkman players:

1. BT Receiver - this can easily be used to stream music from your smartphone/PC if you intend on discovering music from Youtube/Spotify/Tidal/etc., or just for plain listening to music from online services in general.
2. Android DAPs don't have a SIM card, so no internet on the go. That means that you'd have to share internet from your smartphone. If I'd have to do this. I could just use the BT Receiver function instead, and stream music from my smartphone directly.

I am also wondering about that. Been playing around with regions. I can't pinpoint huge differences. But maybe my ears are simply not good enough.

I wouldn't say that someone's ears are not good enough. It's just that they may not be trained enough. Each one of us has their own way of using their senses, and senses can be trained.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #971 of 5,419
Which region is considered the warmest? J?

Try Region E or MX3. I found J to be more neutral than warm. I am on region E and it's warmer compared to J.

Mar 18, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #972 of 5,419
I am also wondering about that. Been playing around with regions. I can't pinpoint huge differences. But maybe my ears are simply not good enough.
Try E, TW, J & MX3 as they are the warmest IMO. Agree with @MrWalkman as listening & hearing are different matters. The hardware also goes some ways as well on WM1A the difference in regions is subtle yet audible.

You could try going from say J to E or J to CN as these are very different sonically, in the context of Sony's regional choice. There's no ideal or perfect region J is often cited as it's closer to neutral, warm, however can lack sparkle towards the top.

Q-6

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #973 of 5,419
These are my always 2 cents regarding streaming and the non-Android Walkman players:

1. BT Receiver - this can easily be used to stream music from your smartphone/PC if you intend on discovering music from Youtube/Spotify/Tidal/etc., or just for plain listening to music from online services in general.
2. Android DAPs don't have a SIM card, so no internet on the go. That means that you'd have to share internet from your smartphone. If I'd have to do this. I could just use the BT Receiver function instead, and stream music from my smartphone directly.

I wouldn't say that someone's ears are not good enough. It's just that they may not be trained enough. Each one of us has their own way of using their senses, and senses can be trained.
I have the theory that eony is ants to cease walkman OS development. We all know making an inhouse Os is sidficult. Abdroid is there ready juat tweak it and voila not much programming effort.

i do like walkman os as it is specifically done dor pure music playback

Mar 18, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #974 of 5,419

Exactly why I've decided to go for a non-Android DAP instead of Android DAP. I've decided to prioritize SQ, battery life and longevity instead of streaming capabilities. And no regrets in that, as I could still stream using my handphone elbiet the lower SQ. As I'm using it more for music discovery instead of music enjoyment.
Try Region E or MX3. I found J to be more neutral than warm. I am on region E and it's warmer compared to J.
Based on my untrained ears, moving from less to more warmth :
E->MX3->J

I sensed that J has less treble extension and sounded warmer while MX3 has sufficient bass & treble and E has slightly reduced bass and treble compared to MX3.

Mar 18, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #975 of 5,419
Hay guys! I need advice on full size headphones. Which one would be a nice complement headphone with my A18t. Thanks for advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back