The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Dec 9, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #256 of 5,346
The wiggles in plug movement are kind of not substantiated yet. Meaning one member reported they came from the factory firm. My 1Z has some movement on both 3.5mm and 4.4mm but very slight. At a place that modifies Walkmans the consultant told me all of them have slight movement but it doesn’t affect sound. Then I pulled out my 1A that has rock solid plugs and he seemed surprised? So? I figure it can be variable without affecting sound. Still with that in mind I don’t walk down the street in tight jeans with the Walkmans having the plug bent off while in my pocket.

On that note, :) I don’t own tight jeans, nor walk around with the Walkman.

Cheers!

Edit:
New 3.5 or 4.4mm plug sockets can be ordered. Many mods have the plugs regularly changed out due to needing a fresh place to solder the new wires.
Just wanted to get this out of the way. Can this be a capacitor issue? Like the capacitor in my right channel has gone bad and it doesn't provide the needed voltage (or current or power) anymore? Just speculating. I am not an engineer.

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #257 of 5,346
I didn't notice the "wiggle effect" until a few months back, when I noticed the sudden channel imbalance issue. What's really weird is that it just happens randomly, regardless of the 4.4mm plug that I use; doing the "wiggle" immediately solves that problem. Mine also doesn't wiggle that much; it has that slight wiggle wherein at a certain way of doing the wiggle the sound slightly changes (channel balance > channel imbalance > channel balance). I've been very careful in plugging/unplugging my 4.4mm-terminated cables so I also don't know what triggered the issue to begin with.

If and when the jack fails (crossing my fingers that it doesn't), I'll ask a friend or two who know their way around electronics.

Thanks for the feedback!

Let us know if the problem suddenly manifests again. I rarely use the 3.5mm jack so I don't know if it also exhibits the same problem (but i also noticed a slight wiggle similar to the 4.4mm jack).
My 3.5mm jack has no problem. I can swap the connectors immediately as I have an adapter. I think since the 4.4mm is balanced, meaning it has two independent channels, this problem would affect only this output. Not sure though.

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #258 of 5,346
Just wanted to get this out of the way. Can this be a capacitor issue? Like the capacitor in my right channel has gone bad and it doesn't provide the needed voltage (or current or power) anymore? Just speculating. I am not an engineer.
You simply need to take it in and have it checked. Your situation could be from a number of things. Though in all my years here I have not come across it. By anything meaning one of the connection places could be not making contact. Did you buy your Walkman new? In it under warranty? If you purchased used it could have been subjected to numerous things that could cause that issue. It obviously could be something as simple as a coated contact area not allowing one contact area to join; as noted earlier in the thread. We are simply experienced users with knowledge about the Walkmans but very few of us take them apart and work on them; and even if we did dismantle them, your issues are explained too generally and could in reality be from a number of things. If you were to read the 40,000 pages in the previous thread you will see things like this are rare. I remember a year ago one person did have a loose plug which was cutting out. That was probably because the person subjected the plug to a style of force which bent the contacts. Every single amp on head-fi will result in a loss of contact if the plug is subjected to sideways force. It’s simple electronic devices in general. Sorry we can’t help you more. Go take your player to Sony service and get it fixed then come back and write poems.

Cheers!

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #259 of 5,346
You simply need to take it in and have it checked. Your situation could be from a number of things. Though in all my years here I have not come across it. By anything meaning one of the connection places could be not making contact. Did you buy your Walkman new? In it under warranty? If you purchased used it could have been subjected to numerous things that could cause that issue. It obviously could be something as simple as a coated contact area not allowing one contact area to join; as noted earlier in the thread. We are simply experienced users with knowledge about the Walkmans but very few of us take them apart and work on them; and even if we did dismantle them, your issues are explained too generally and could in reality be from a number of things. If you were to read the 40,000 pages in the previous thread you will see things like this are rare. I remember a year ago one person did have a loose plug which was cutting out. That was probably because the person subjected the plug to a style of force which bent the contacts. Every single amp on head-fi will result in a loss of contact if the plug is subjected to sideways force. It’s simple electronic devices in general. Sorry we can’t help you more. Go take your player to Sony service and get it fixed then come back and write poems.

Cheers!
No problem there. I appreciate your honest take on this. I would probably pray this goes away. If not, I would bring it in for a check up. I am actually enjoying the walkman right now especially after the firmware mod. It really woke up my WM1A. Yes, I'm also hoping the firmware mod would fix this.

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #260 of 5,346
Mine doesn't seem to move. I don't want to wiggle too much for fear of making it worse. I hear no static when I move it though. Seems to me there is nothing loose in it. But the problem is not manifesting right now. Sometimes when I just remove the jack and put it back in it solves it. It's weird and I just noticed it just a week ago.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...are-non-android.943661/page-167#post-16017261
Caig Deoxit is highly recommended to remove oxide buildup, which can cause intermittent/bad connections. Do this as a preventive, and diagnostic step.
Apply a light coat to the plug, then insert into the player a couple of times, and twist to spread the cleaner onto the female socket contacts.
A small Q-tip can also be tried. There are Q-tips made for babies that are much smaller than regular size, and will fit. One of these in HK is Mannings baby care Super slim baby cotton tips. There should be equivalents in other countries.
1607500200835.png

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #261 of 5,346
No problem there. I appreciate your honest take on this. I would probably pray this goes away. If not, I would bring it in for a check up. I am actually enjoying the walkman right now especially after the firmware mod. It really woke up my WM1A. Yes, I'm also hoping the firmware mod would fix this.

It could be as simple as one service guy simply bending a contact? We just hardley ever hear of such stuff. But as the units are out in the field longer these kind of issues may come up. Also if you think about it, just the size and leverage of the 4.4mm plug, while offering more contact area, still must put some force (more force than 3.5mm) on the connection areas inside. It’s a giant (crowbar) plug!

Dec 9, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #262 of 5,346
For how long do you posses your Wm1A? Mine is ca. 5 years old

Dec 9, 2020 at 6:34 AM Post #263 of 5,346
For how long do you posses your Wm1A? Mine is ca. 5 years old
I bought it used around 2019. It had only 50+ hours on it. It was well taken care of by the previous owner, I think.

Dec 9, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #264 of 5,346
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...are-non-android.943661/page-167#post-16017261
Caig Deoxit is highly recommended to remove oxide buildup, which can cause intermittent/bad connections. Do this as a preventive, and diagnostic step.
Apply a light coat to the plug, then insert into the player a couple of times, and twist to spread the cleaner onto the female socket contacts.
A small Q-tip can also be tried. There are Q-tips made for babies that are much smaller than regular size, and will fit. One of these in HK is Mannings baby care Super slim baby cotton tips. There should be equivalents in other countries.
1607500200835.png
I bought Hardex Electronic Contact Cleaner. Would this do the job?

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #265 of 5,346

The great part of these dramas is they most always have good endings which allow us to cheer!

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #266 of 5,346
From my personal experience, only Deoxit removes oxide build up. All other cleaners clean the surface, oils, dirt, etc., but will not touch the oxide (if it is present).
I am not a salesman for Caig products. Just sharing something that I found works well for me, and that I fall back on all the time. So for me, it is an essential maintenance tool. Up to each person to decide for themselves, whether they think the product is worth trying.

Read the reviews from users:

https://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeOxit-Cleaning-Solution-Spray/dp/B0002BBV4G?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/CAIG-LABORAT...07520154&sr=8-9&tag=hydsma-20#customerReviews

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #267 of 5,346
The great part of these dramas is they most always have good endings which allow us to cheer!
Drama? Well, if it was snake oil, or salvation, there would be drama. As it is, this is a discussion about a cleaning product. About the most boring thing to talk about, I think. Kind of like watching paint dry. BTW, somebody made a multi hour movie of exactly that. I am tempted to watch it.

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #268 of 5,346
From my personal experience, only Deoxit removes oxide build up. All other cleaners clean the surface, oils, dirt, etc., but will not touch the oxide (if it is present).
I am not a salesman for Caig products. Just sharing something that I found works well for me, and that I fall back on all the time. So for me, it is an essential maintenance tool. Up to each person to decide for themselves, whether they think the product is worth trying.

Read the reviews from users:

https://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeOxit-Cleaning-Solution-Spray/dp/B0002BBV4G?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/CAIG-LABORAT...07520154&sr=8-9&tag=hydsma-20#customerReviews
Yeah. I wanted to buy Deoxit buy I didn't have time to look for one today, with all the quarantine and so on. I'm gonna try it when I get my hands on one.

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #269 of 5,346
Drama? Well, if it was snake oil, or salvation, there would be drama. As it is, this is a discussion about a cleaning product. About the most boring thing to talk about, I think. Kind of like watching paint dry. BTW, somebody made a multi hour movie of exactly that. I am tempted to watch it.

Someone with a broken 4.4mm.

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #270 of 5,346
I've decided to jump to HFM Arya, which needs plenty of amplification and I want to still use wm1z (@DMP-WM1 FE) as a DAC, already ordered a Topping A90 AMP and 4.4mm to 2x XLR adapter, and want to make sure I got everything right.
So I just connect wm1z's 4.4mm headphone out to this adapter, and adaptor to inputs of the Amp, then enable DAC mode on the DAP, and then connect the DAP to a source device like a phone or PC, right? Also is it possible to skip source device part and just use the player in a DAP mode connected to the Amp? Will I get amplification this way, and should the SQ stay the same?
Would really appreciate if someone could clear this up for me! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back