The Continuation Of The Sony Walkman 1Z/1A Thread!
Dec 6, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #211 of 5,346
Thanks, does it mean that Ananda, which is far less power demanding also won't be driven well enough? Even though it has slightly more sensitivity and less impedance than MDR-Z1R, which for me sounds quite well with 1Z... Maybe if I try TA it will enlighten me to the unpleasant truth that I'm already running way underpowered with my 1Z+mdr-z1r setup though...
Planar headphones are notorious for being hard to drive, tested some audezes wih 1A, and yup wasn't satisfied

Dec 6, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #212 of 5,346
WM1A can drive Ananda on 4.4 High Gain, you'll probably top out on volume before Ananda is optimally driven, equally they remain to sound very good. As for MDR-Z1R truth be known they too will benefit from more power. One should not confuse such criticism with dislike, more over an opinion based on experience. TA-ZH1ES will clearly illustrate...

Arya on the 1A/1Z a hard no as this HP needs a lot of power, Ananda is the better solution for a DAP by a wide margin.

Q-6
Thanks!
Do you think TA will be enough to run Arya? Also if you had personal experience is Arya much better HP than Ananda?

Dec 6, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #213 of 5,346
Thanks!
Do you think TA will be enough to run Arya? Also if you had personal experience is Arya much better HP than Ananda?
Don't know to be honest regarding the TA, I do know that WM1A/Z is inadequate. I mostly focussed on Ananda as I want a portable solution, realistically at these price points you need to listen for yourself. Off the cuff Arya has the greater detail retrieval and Ananda is more musical, personally I prefer the latter and again Ananda is far easier to drive and combined with Hifiman's own R2R2000 a very compelling setup.

In short I'd say Arya is more suited to critical listening and Ananda more to enjoyment, equally don't take away that Ananda is lacking in resolution or detail retrieval, just different.

Q-6

Dec 6, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #214 of 5,346
Don't know to be honest regarding the TA, I do know that WM1A/Z is inadequate. I mostly focussed on Ananda as I want a portable solution, realistically at these price points you need to listen for yourself. Off the cuff Arya has the greater detail retrieval and Ananda is more musical, personally I prefer the latter and again Ananda is far easier to drive and combined with Hifiman's own R2R2000 a very compelling setup.

In short I'd say Arya is more suited to critical listening and Ananda more to enjoyment, equally don't take away that Ananda is lacking in resolution or detail retrieval, just different.

Q-6
Thanks again!

Yeah, trying it for myself would be the best solution, it's just I don't have any means to do this atm, and covid doesn't help either.

I'm also considering Ananda BT, which has internal DAC/AMP, but I think if 1Z is able to drive this HP I better stick to Sony's sound signature.
Judging from your posts it seems running it from 4.4 balanced port of 1Z should be just enough, so I will go for this setup for now and If I find out I'm getting underpowered performance I'll just get TA dac...

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #215 of 5,346
Just read that the Sony Factory producing the Walkman products in Malaysia will be closing down by Sept '21 after 36 years.
Hope the Walkman brand can continue to survive and push through with new products ( looking forward for a successor to 1A/1Z ) albeit at another production factory.

My 1A and ZX300 with Mr. Walkman's firmware brings listening to my music collection to another level.

Dec 7, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #216 of 5,346
This is probably the first negative post here. I love my WM1A which is why I am going nuts about my problem. I have noticed that the balanced output is weaker on one side, in my case, the right side. I've tried several headphones and the problem still persists. It is noticeable especially when I immediately transfer the headphones to the single ended output (with adapter of course) and level matched. There is an imbalance. I also checked the L/R balance on output settings. Anyone with the WM1A who has also noticed this? Thanks.

Dec 7, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #217 of 5,346
I would advise trying a factory reset.

Dec 7, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #218 of 5,346
Noticed something weird the other day, when I was A/B ing my TA-ZH1ES and the WM1Z. When the Walkman connects to the sideport of the TA it reverses the channels in the HP. So when listening to the HP straight out of the WM1Z the channels are right. But when connecting it to the side port of the TA and listening from the TA outputs, the channels get reversed. If I select a different source to feed the TA, PC/USB for example, the cannels are right again.

Perhaps this belongs in the TA-thread...

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #219 of 5,346
Just read that the Sony Factory producing the Walkman products in Malaysia will be closing down by Sept '21 after 36 years.
Hope the Walkman brand can continue to survive and push through with new products ( looking forward for a successor to 1A/1Z ) albeit at another production factory.

My 1A and ZX300 with Mr. Walkman's firmware brings listening to my music collection to another level.
I hope it is not the end of the walkman, they should close the plant that makes playstation 😜🤣

Dec 7, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #220 of 5,346
Thanks. I did factory reset. I will report back to confirm if it fixed the issue. Appreciate it. If it's fixed, I would probably try the firmware talked about here. My question is, can I revert to stock firmware if I decide to go back?

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #221 of 5,346
Dec 8, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #223 of 5,346
Ok. Reporting.back on the factory reset. It did not fix the issue. One thing I noticed, sometime when I first press play, there is an imbalance but gradually goes back to normal. Sometimes it's stuck with the imbalance.

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #224 of 5,346
Ok. Reporting.back on the factory reset. It did not fix the issue. One thing I noticed, sometime when I first press play, there is an imbalance but gradually goes back to normal. Sometimes it's stuck with the imbalance.
Sounds like either a loose connector in player or cable and/or a dirty socket or plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back